No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

dweezil78

Blurb on the new GC reno

In other news, the company announced it is renovating Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at the Disneyland Resort, its first major renovation since its 2001 opening. While the project will focus on guestrooms, the Craftsman Club concierge lounge will be upgraded and new furniture will be brought into the lobby. Outside, redesigned pools and surrounding areas will be furnished with natural stones.

The rooms will keep their arts-and-crafts-inspired design but will add new furnishings, beddings, linens and bathroom fixtures.

GetImage

Doesn't look too bad.

Seems pretty bland/generic to me. However outdated the current rooms are, I feel like the current decor is a more true to the Arts & Crafts style seen throughout the hotel. Would have rather seen them keep a similar look with updated amenities...

header-grand-californian-guest-rooms.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

Seems pretty bland/generic to me. However outdated the current rooms are, I feel like the current decor is a more true to the Arts & Crafts style seen throughout the hotel. Would have rather seen them keep a similar look with updated amenities...

header-grand-californian-guest-rooms.jpg

That bed skirt tho'.

dweezil78

I thought the old rooms were bland and uninspired. The new rooms look like a Hampton Inn from 10 years ago. Try harder, Disney

Ha -- yes! That's exactly it. The original design wasn't anything amazing -- it's just that the new one looks like something you'd get at a value motel down the road.

ght

Ha -- yes! That's exactly it. The original design wasn't anything amazing -- it's just that the new one looks like something you'd get at a value motel down the road.
From looking at the pictures, I much prefer the tree shapes worked into the headboards in the old rooms than the wall mural over the headboards in the new rooms which reminds me of something painted in a child's room who really likes oranges. I do like that the new rooms don't look as dark as the old ones, I think changing out the dark curtains really helps in that regard.

D

Deleted member 107043

I do like that the new rooms don't look as dark as the old ones, I think changing out the dark curtains really helps in that regard.

I think those details may explain why I had an immediate positive reaction to the new rooms. Overall the old rooms looked a little dark and grandma-ish, which I suppose went better with the California craftsman theme but also made them look dated from the start. For the record I don't know much about craftsman design though.

The biggest aesthetic improvement are what looks like a dimmble lighting system built into the wall soffit and the oak bed frames that ditch those hideous bed skirts. That said, it would have been nice if the bedding fabric was something other than just plain off-white.

grand-cali-new-rooms.jpg

5267342_orig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevek

From the site that shall not be named:

Blue Bayou (Beginning March 17th unless otherwise noted)

• 50th anniversary button
  • March 16th-26th Only – Fruits De Mer – Pan seared snapper, sautéed shrimp, scallops, and a hush puppy served on a bed of spinach, with spicy shrimp sauce and remoulade – $44.00
  • Gold doubloons presented with the check
Cafe Orleans (Beginning March 16th)
  • Steak Sandwich – served open face with white cheddar cheese sauce, bacon jam, arugula, and cherry tomatoes, and sweet potato waffle cut fries – $21.00
  • Lost Treasure Beignets – Shimmering lemon flavored beignets with vanilla anglaise and fruit couli – $9.00
French Market (Beginning March 16th)
  • March 16th-July 16th Only – Buccaneer Pulled Pork Sandwich – Jerk-spiced pork, sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, pineapple Caribbean-style slaw and fried yucca – TBA
  • Jolly Roger Punch – Spiced tropical juices with hints of pineapple, orange, and mango – $3.59
  • Pirate Stein collectible mug – $12.99
Mint Julep Bar (Beginning March 16th)
  • March 16th-19th Until 11am – Caribbean Breakfast Burrito (Also available in vegetarian form) – scrambled eggs, andouille sausage, rice, sweet potatoes, and black beans with sour cream – $8.49
  • Lost Treasure Beignets – shimmering lemon beignets – 3 for $4.49, 6 for $7.49
  • Jolly Roger Punch – Spiced tropical juices with hints of pineapple, orange, and mango – $3.59
Royal Street Veranda (Beginning March 16th)
  • March 16th-19th Until 11am – Caribbean Breakfast Burrito (Also available in vegetarian form) – scrambled eggs, andouille sausage, rice, sweet potatoes, and black beans with sour cream – $8.49
  • Calypso Caribbean Chicken Stew – Caribbean spiced chicken stewed with onions carrots, celery, potatoes, and yucca – $10.99
Harbour Galley (Beginning March 16th)
  • Calypso Caribbean Chicken Stew – Caribbean spiced chicken stewed with onions carrots, celery, potatoes, and yucca – $10.99
New Orleans Churro Cart (Beginning March 17th)
  • Golden churro – Gold-dusted churro – $4.25
It is still unknown if any other events will be taking place to make the occasion, but stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Practical Pig

I think those details may explain why I had an immediate positive reaction to the new rooms. Overall the old rooms looked a little dark and grandma-ish, which I suppose went better with the California craftsman theme but also made them look dated from the start. For the record I don't know much about craftsman design though.

The biggest aesthetic improvement are what looks like a dimmble lighting system built into the wall soffit and the oak bed frames that ditch those hideous bed skirts. That said, it would have been nice if the bedding fabric was something other than just plain off-white.

grand-cali-new-rooms.jpg

5267342_orig.jpg

I enjoy the Craftsman design esthetic, though I'm far from an expert. I've been chewing on this for a bit, but I'm preferring the new look for much the same reasons. The lightness, or perhaps the lower contrasts between the elements, and ditching not only that ugly bedskirt, but any bedskirt at all makes the room feel larger. High contrasts in a small space close in on our perception of room, I think.

I first thought I preferred the original headboards because of the tree detailing, but as a whole, they seem like an over-the-top craftsman fantasia lacking authenticity. Also hard to dust.

And I've got to agree with GiveMeTheMusic. Especially at the price point these rooms now command, Disney really needed to aim higher.

Phroobar

In addition, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pirates of the Caribbean, you can see the new movie! Starring Jack Sparrow from the ride!
I hear they are going all Universal Studios with it and will do a float thru movie screening. Screens will be put up over the entire ride and they will project the movie in 3D as you float pass.

Phroobar

It sounds like all you get is this:

To celebrate the big birthday of Disneyland’s beloved Pirates, the park will offer special pirate-themed grub at French Market Restaurant, Mint Julep Bar, Harbour Galley, Royal Street Verandah, Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou Restaurant.

Pirate-themed entertainment kicks in throughout New Orleans Square on Friday with the familiar Bootstrappers and Lucky the Pirate. Limited-edition anniversary merchandise will also be available in New Orleans Square while supplies last. Disney promises “Collectible cards” as well.

VJ

Kind of annoyed the celebration will only last a few days. This should go one for at least two weeks.
There's no ending date for the offerings so I'm guessing they'll be there throughout the summer. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom