No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

mickEblu

I'd choose DL hotel over GC too. I think my kids would enjoy the slides and pool more there. We like Goofy's Kitchen too. I stayed there about 8 years ago or so, we liked it.

Also, I think an off season mid week is still like $600-$700 a night at GC!!!

Yikes. Really ? I thought it would be more in the $3-400 range.

mickEblu

I was about to suggest going on Gay Days (not implying anything there) because I was recently told that the rates were lower, still in the $400 range. But I just checked and that isn't true. The lowest rate I found still started with a seven.

Lol. I've gone to the park on Gay Days before, are they still in October?

Yeah, I was about to ask, why would the rooms be cheaper? You think they would be more expensive due to demand.

D

Deleted member 107043

That's ridiculous. As someone who lives less than an hour away from the park I have no incentive to spend that kind of money.

See what we tourists have to go through to have a proper Disney vacation? Next time you go think about the families paying those exorbitant rates and shelling out a fortune in admission tickets for their kids to visit the Happiest Place on Earth only to face 120 minute waits and locals dropping in after work hogging up all the prime curb space for parades and fireworks. :grumpy:

Practical Pig

Lol. I've gone to the park on Gay Days before, are they still in October?

Yeah, I was about to ask, why would the rooms be cheaper? You think they would be more expensive due to demand.

October 6-8 this year. Yeah, it didn't make a lot of sense to me when I heard that, which is why I looked it up before spouting off hearsay. One possibility that saddened me was that families might be avoiding those dates enough to affect reservations negatively enough to require Disney to implement a pretty deep discount. It may seem odd that I'm glad the relative rates turn out to be as high as they are for those dates, but there I am.

Practical Pig

See what we tourists have to go through to have a proper Disney vacation? Next time you go think about the families paying those exorbitant rates and shelling out a fortune in admission tickets for their kids to visit the Happiest Place on Earth only to face 120 minute waits and locals dropping in after work hogging up all the prime curb space for parades and fireworks. :grumpy:

I wish I could add more likes to this post.

mickEblu

I hear you. This may sound weird but even as an AP I was a little disapointed that Disney didn't make any major changes to the AP program this year. Now if I was a local who lived near the park I may feel differently. But as someone who goes to the park roughly 12 times a year and lives a little under an hour away, a trip to DLR is still something I have to plan. Meaning, I like to get the most out of my day there because get because battling traffic on the 5 South is no fun. Staying for three hours, buying a snack and riding 2 rides is really not worth the effort to get there for me.

I have been saying for years that I would be completely behind an AP program with capped visits. To me it's possibly the only realistic option to reduce crowds aside from Disney charging exorborent prices for the APs. (Getting rid of monthly payment plans may work but I'm not completely sold). I would much rather have capped visits than pay $3,000 for an AP. For me it's quality over quantity.

Practical Pig

I hear you. This may sound weird but even as an AP I was a little disapointed that Disney didn't make any major changes to the AP program this year. Now if I was a local who lived near the park I may feel differently. But as someone who goes to the park roughly 12 times a year and lives a little under an hour away, a trip to DLR is still something I have to plan. Meaning, I like to get the most out of my day there because get because battling traffic on the 5 South is no fun. Staying for three hours, buying a snack and riding 2 rides is really not worth the effort to get there for me.

I have been saying for years that I would be completely behind an AP program with capped visits. To me it's possibly the only realistic option to reduce crowds aside from Disney charging exorborent prices for the APs. (Getting rid of monthly payment plans may work but I'm not completely sold). I would much rather have capped visits than pay $3,000 for an AP. For me it's quality over quantity.

After Disney just did the same-old, same-old on the rates this year, I agree that capped visits are the best option. I earlier advocated a stiff AP rate increase, but that seems to be out of their consideration. BTW, a stiff rate increase would also affect my family. I have no incentive to buy an AP up here in Humboldt County, but my husband is an APer. He travels to the LA region frequently on business and will always find his way to the resort if at all possible.

Last edited:

mickEblu

October 6-8 this year. Yeah, it didn't make a lot of sense to me when I heard that, which is why I looked it up before spouting off hearsay. One possibility that saddened me was that families might be avoiding those dates enough to affect reservations negatively enough to require Disney to implement a pretty deep discount. It may seem odd that I'm glad the relative rates turn out to be as high as they are for those dates, but there I am.

Well if that's the reason that the prices may be cheaper during Gay days then that is truly sad but their loss. I am more than willing to take my family and take advantage of the lower rates! If they existed that is.

Kiwiduck

There are relatively cheap rates available on the dapperday website in April - I saw around $250 for Disneyland hotel and $330 for grand Californian. I don't know how you prove your "dapperness" as I didn't actually try and book but seems like it might be a good option if you are going at that time.

mickEblu

There are relatively cheap rates available on the dapperday website in April - I saw around $250 for Disneyland hotel and $330 for grand Californian. I don't know how you prove your "dapperness" as I didn't actually try and book but seems like it might be a good option if you are going at that time.

That sounds more like it! Thanks for the tip.

TP2000

Speaking of the Grand Californian, looks like they re starting to work on some serious renovations.

http://www./2017/03/photos-disneyla...ornian-hotel-including-reimagined-rooms-pool/

That's great news! Thanks for sharing. The Grand Californian was overdue for a design rethink and freshening.

Now if they could only get the CM service levels up to the level of the Hotel Montage or any random Four Seasons Hotel, at the same price points they already charge, they'd actually be making progress at the Grand Californian!

D

Deleted member 107043

It gets pretty nasty in there right now. I have a tough time keeping it contained.

I don't know how you keep your sanity moderating that madness. Glad to know that the boards there are still active though.

Curious Constance

That's ridiculous. As someone who lives less than an hour away from the park I have no incentive to spend that kind of money.
I live about 15 hours away and still have no incentive to stay there.
Sure, I'd love to, but I could buy a used car for the same price as staying a week at the Grand C. Hard to justify, seems irresponsible to choose to spend my money that way. Especially when we're rarely in the rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom