No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

pumpkin7

Well ones the barrel Jack and ones the Treasure room Jack for starters but that right picture looks so doctored. Surely he can't look that bad?
The group admin has posted saying that they're downgrading all the Jack animatronics so they don't look like Johnny Depp to avoid paying him royalties? I'm guessing that's also wrong!

D.Silentu

Honestly, while the first two Jacks are a good likeness, I've always thought the final Jack on the lift hill looked off. Can't really put my finger on what's wrong with it, but my sister's theory is that we get too close to him.

Practical Pig

Every other "human" animatronic in POTC is enough of a caricature to avoid the old uncanny valley They're just fun, obviously-not-real robots. Not so with the Jacks. They tried to replicate the real human Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, and washed straight downstream into uncanniness.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I only glanced at it while admiring the Luminara candles before the glowing green eyes, but yes, it does look different. He now appears to be Dorian Gray from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003). I can only surmise that it is Disney's tribute to Sean Connery's last film.

SuddenStorm

Every other "human" animatronic in POTC is enough of a caricature to avoid the old uncanny valley They're just fun, obviously-not-real robots. Not so with the Jacks. They tried to replicate the real human Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, and washed straight downstream into uncanniness.

I've never thought about that. The art style and design of all the other animatronics isn't meant to look real- it's meant to look like a stereotype pirate with exaggerated features. The Jack and Barbosa additions are meant to look life like, and are a completely different art style than the original ones.

D

Deleted member 107043

Yeah the POTC film franchise is feeling a little past its prime and I'm not expecting the next installment to reinvigorate it for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom