NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is an interesting trade. Supposedly the Seahawks got rid of him because he complained of not getting enough plays (Apparently he was only called for on jet sweep plays.) and salary cap reasons. (Harvin has also been injury prone throughout his career.) This will definitely hurt the Seahawks' offense. All that's left for Seattle is Kearse and Doug Baldwin in terms of proven receivers. Perhaps this move will likely mean Russell Wilson getting a huge pay day and be the franchise QB. Maybe not as much as Joe Flacco but you have to think his new contract will be pretty high and pay a lot of money.

The word is Harvin was incompatible with the staff/team chemistry.. He was basically thrown away. A conditional 6th or maybe 4th round pick? that's a 'please take my cap number' trade. While Lynch may have protested, apparently Harvin was toxic for the coach/staff and had to go.

Wilson will get the top QB money.. no doubt about it. He'll get the 120+ number contract and sea will have to make the painful choices to make it happen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, Wilson is worth a lot more than Flacco. Flacco is an average QB, but Wilson is ascending to an elite one. He has the arm, and his new-age style adds another dimension. He's not up there with the Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Mannings, but he's in the group right below them.

If there are 32 QBs.. plus the backups.. and you are in the top 5-10 by your analysis.. that doesn't make you 'average'.

I would put QBs in the buckets like..

He is...
1. a Liability
2. Volatile
3. Reliable but meh
4. Good but inconsistent
5. Great but still vulnerable
6. The man you ride to the superbowl

QBs we like to call 'elite' play at #5 or #6.. but few can stay at #6 for long periods of time. But your classic Brees/Brady/Rogers kind of arguments I'd put them at #5 or #6 labels. A QB like Romo or Culter would be a #4

Flacco has proven himself more a 5... with streaks like a 6.. but not a full season like a 6. What holds him back is he can have a game like a 4 without warning. We've seen less of those in the last 1.5 seasons tho.

What he can do with his strength and arm and in the clutch makes him NOTHING like an 'average' QB. He can throw a bomb on a sprinting WR while falling backwards off one foot. And that crushes people...

PUSH

Original Poster
If there are 32 QBs.. plus the backups.. and you are in the top 5-10 by your analysis.. that doesn't make you 'average'.

I would put QBs in the buckets like..

He is...
1. a Liability
2. Volatile
3. Reliable but meh
4. Good but inconsistent
5. Great but still vulnerable
6. The man you ride to the superbowl

QBs we like to call 'elite' play at #5 or #6.. but few can stay at #6 for long periods of time. But your classic Brees/Brady/Rogers kind of arguments I'd put them at #5 or #6 labels. A QB like Romo or Culter would be a #4

Flacco has proven himself more a 5... with streaks like a 6.. but not a full season like a 6. What holds him back is he can have a game like a 4 without warning. We've seen less of those in the last 1.5 seasons tho.

What he can do with his strength and arm and in the clutch makes him NOTHING like an 'average' QB. He can throw a bomb on a sprinting WR while falling backwards off one foot. And that crushes people...
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I mean, I get that you're defending Flacco, but other than that I'm lost. I don't have Flacco as a top 10 QB. My top 10 would probably go...

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Philip Rivers
4. Andrew Luck
5. Drew Brees
6. Russell Wilson
7. Tom Brady
8. Tony Romo
9. Cam Newton
10. Colin Kaepernick

From my eyes, Flacco is average. Right now I'd only put Rodgers and Manning in the elite category.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I mean, I get that you're defending Flacco, but other than that I'm lost. I don't have Flacco as a top 10 QB. My top 10 would probably go...

Funny.. you say "He's not up there with the Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Mannings, but he's in the group right below them", then make a group right below Rodgers and Manning.. and exclude him from that group. And Flacco has out-dueled most of those guys in games past.

Romo and Newton.. really?? Romo is riding high on the fact Murray can carry the game and finally have an O-line that he isn't running for his life all the time. Still haven't seen the clutch play repeatedly that defines the QB from him and he's in his 11th season! When do we expect it to show up? He's won one playoff game in his career... and only gotten the team there 3 times.

And while Newton has been playing hurt, I've seen enough of him now to say he will go down as good, but not defining. He and Alex Smith can share a sentence in the history books.

I look forward to us traveling to the Saints this year... but still wish we had them at home in Dec :)

Lance

The only way I can make a top 10 QB list or top QB list is if I rank them hypothetically.

So this is what I usually do: today, if you put every QB on say... a team with a great surrounding core, i.e. 2013 Broncos, who would you want as your QB.

So as of today, this would be my list:

1.) Peyton - because he can at least get me to the Super Bowl, worst he'll do is pee down his leg like he has many times, but at least I know I'm getting to the game...lol.
2.) Discount double check - I'd like to think he's getting me to the game with the weapons, but I'm not 100% he would.
3.) Brady - I'm a lot more confident he's getting me to the game, but he's lost massive steps it seems, so he's #3 for this very reason.
4.) Brees - losing steam fast, but I'd still take him with the ultimate weapons.
5.) Luck - Sexy beast that he is, I don't know if he could handle it just yet.
6.) Russell Wilson - I love his in-game IQ.
7.) Eli Manning - Proved me wrong twice, in the SB, so he's clutch.
8.) Joe Flacco - I hate the long rainbows, less painful with Steve Smith though, he's competent.
9.) Rapist Wit - Hate Big Ben, but he's a winner.
10.) Matt Ryan - No comment.
11.) Phillip Rivers - I love Rivers, but hate watching him, his half cocked/side arm throw kills me every time, still amazed his balls get to the receivers, too many Drew Bledsoe memories I guess. Either way, hasn't proven crap yet.
T - 12.) Cam Newton - Specimen, but can he play in the big game?
T - 12.) Kaepernick - I thought he'd be the next big thing after the Super Bowl, but currently has his head up his butt.
14.) Andy Dalton - I think he's got the weapons currently, so I don't think he'd move up that much more with the ultimate team.
15.) Matthew Stafford - Like Dalton, has weapons, but he's a loose cannon.
16.) Alex Smith - I don't like Alex Smith, but the guy continues to prove me wrong, he's quiet and cool, so whatever.
17.) RGIII - I have a shred of faith RG3 isn't done yet.... duno.
18.) Nick Foles - He has pee down his leg written all over him if he ever gets to the big game.
19.) Johnny Football - Self-explanatory, huge fan.
20.) Blake Bortles - I have to tell myself he's gonna be good!
21.) Tim Tebow - Get him off the SEC network, I'm putting him at 21! I take him before Romo every time!
22.) Tony Romo - I Don't think he'll ever stop crapping himself in big games, so he can sit at the bottom.
23.) Jay Cutler - Still amazed he's made it since he's left Denver. If Jay Cutler ever wins a Super Bowl,I am going to pee down my leg!
24.) Scrubs 24 - 32+ - Derek carr, Austin Davis, Geno Smith, Kirk Cousins, EJ, Fitzpatrick, insert guy.

PUSH

Original Poster
Funny.. you say "He's not up there with the Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Mannings, but he's in the group right below them", then make a group right below Rodgers and Manning.. and exclude him from that group. And Flacco has out-dueled most of those guys in games past.

Romo and Newton.. really?? Romo is riding high on the fact Murray can carry the game and finally have an O-line that he isn't running for his life all the time. Still haven't seen the clutch play repeatedly that defines the QB from him and he's in his 11th season! When do we expect it to show up? He's won one playoff game in his career... and only gotten the team there 3 times.

And while Newton has been playing hurt, I've seen enough of him now to say he will go down as good, but not defining. He and Alex Smith can share a sentence in the history books.

I look forward to us traveling to the Saints this year... but still wish we had them at home in Dec :)
Funny that you didn't realize I was talking about Wilson and not Flacco. I don't care if Flacco out-dueled Johnny Unitas - he's not an elite QB. It's my opinion, take it or leave it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Funny that you didn't realize I was talking about Wilson and not Flacco. I don't care if Flacco out-dueled Johnny Unitas - he's not an elite QB. It's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Fine - you could have cleared that up easily. 'he' after a sentence with two males in it was vague.

So to your point... how much will SEA have to pay wilson? Because QBs you have ranked much lower have all been being paid much higher than your elites. With Cutler, Flacco, and Ryan with all 120+mil dollar deals... what's Wilson worth?

PUSH

Original Poster
Fine - you could have cleared that up easily. 'he' after a sentence with two males in it was vague.

So to your point... how much will SEA have to pay wilson? Because QBs you have ranked much lower have all been being paid much higher than your elites. With Cutler, Flacco, and Ryan with all 120+mil dollar deals... what's Wilson worth?
It should be pretty obvious that I was talking about Wilson. Not only because the second half of that compound sentence was about him, but also because of the context clues. I talked about his "new-age" style. Flacco clearly doesn't have that.

But Wilson should be paid along the same line of Cutler, Flacco, Ryan, etc. That's just my opinion - I think those three are all overpaid. With how QB salaries are going, it's not fair to compare them to one another because each time a QB gets a new payday, the price goes up. Therefore a QB who got a payday three years ago is probably lagging behind because of the rise in QB pay every year.

afar28

Flacco is a tough player to rate. When he's at his best, he can be as good as anyone in the league, but often he goes through stretches where he simply isn't very good. Tough call

afar28

We all have similar picks for the early games. The Sunday and Monday night games should be what seperates us this week

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Things so far today:

Buffalo's running back corp is getting thin. Jackson and Spiller carted off so far today.
Rams lead now but I have seen this show before. First half lead is usually followed by whimpering loss.
Jags take a lead near the end of the half but it will probably end badly for them again this week.
Bengals have yet to convert a series for a first down.
Dolphins taking advantage of Bears offensive ineptitude in the first half.

Can't believe I forgot to pick Thursday's game. Oh Well....

*1023*

flynnibus

Premium Member
With how QB salaries are going, it's not fair to compare them to one another because each time a QB gets a new payday, the price goes up. Therefore a QB who got a payday three years ago is probably lagging behind because of the rise in QB pay every year.

Well that's just the way it is. It's the sole position that steers your teams fate more than any other and the league continues to favor a passing league. Teams know you don't have a qb... You don't have a chance. And there are no diamonds in the rough. Teams are willing to pay for mediocre even because the alternative is even worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom