News and Rumors - New Show coming Soon?!? (A SWYTBAI Project by Team Mist)

kmbmw777

Original Poster
So based on the information that several of us insiders on the forms have provided, I will try to create a composite of what the general public knows versus what us insiders have shared

Disney has said
-Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage will be closing

Forum Rumors
-A new show of some kind based on Fantasia will be replacing it
-"Some of the effects they're shooting for would only work in an enclosed space. The team working on this show is really making it theirs. It's going to be extremely classy and elaborate and the only IP really being used are Yen Sid, Spring Sprite, and Chernabog. The music is the real star. I'm hearing talk of a really cool way of doing the Rite of Spring's story"
-"Expect an original interior and exterior based on the 40's."
-"Last I heard, Stars is getting demoed, but projected budget overruns could change that quickly."

I for one can not wait and I will try and sort through all the information that is being provided as fast as possible.

mickeyfan5534

I can confirm a solid act for 2 segments and the possibility of one for others. The Sorcerer's Apprentice will be a magic act. A couple professional Sandpainters will be in the show and I've heard three possible ideas for them, all very cool and interesting story telling possibilities.

I've got one last tidbit for now. There will be a story. It will be an epic quest story and acts will be able to be switched out over time to keep the show fresh. At the moment, I'm hearing Sorcerer's Apprentice, Firebird Suite, and Night on Bald Mountain as definite. Firebird nor Bald Mountain will be Sandpainter acts. I can't say much more.

EDIT: I can say that it won't be an upcharge (praise!) and that the show will be dark two days a week

Snoopy

I was in the parks today and took one final picture of Beauty and the Beast before the walls go up:

Beauty-and-the-Beast-Live-on-Stage.jpg

It's been roped off, and you can see a surveyor up there looking around. I hope the construction doesn't take too long, Hollywood Studios already looks enough like DCA circa 2010 as it is.

mickeyfan5534

It's been roped off, and you can see a surveyor up there looking around. I hope the construction doesn't take too long, Hollywood Studios already looks enough like DCA circa 2010 as it is.
It's going to be fast tracked. At least for Disney. I'm hearing Spring 2018. Very much moved up from the Late Summer 2018 I originally got.

mickeyfan5534

Good morning all! Significant progress has been made. There's a solid 10 acts, plus an overture. Standouts are going to be a Spanish Web, the Sandpainter, and a Korean Plank and Banquine combined act.

Snoopy

Here's an aerial shot of the demo:

SA2-52LARGE.jpg

You can see Tower of Terror is getting a cosmetic refurbishment as well. Nothing major on the inside, from what people are saying.

mickeyfan5534

I actually kind of like the idea. And by that I mean I'm hearing a very unique upcharge idea.
I'll squeal. Fantasia Nights at Disney's Hollywood Studios is a possibility. It would be an upcharge, mostly just for the time Cirque is down. Extended show, Sunset Boulevard attractions and GMR open. Possibly a dinner included? They're going for a very classy affair.
You can see Tower of Terror is getting a cosmetic refurbishment as well. Nothing major on the inside, from what people are saying.
No Guardians of the Tower here.

Snoopy

I'll squeal. Fantasia Nights at Disney's Hollywood Studios is a possibility. It would be an upcharge, mostly just for the time Cirque is down. Extended show, Sunset Boulevard attractions and GMR open. Possibly a dinner included? They're going for a very classy affair.

Very cool. :) I've been hearing rumors of a special Brown Derby dinner being included in some way, is this for certain or just an idea?

No Guardians of the Tower here.

Nice. It looks like they're completely redoing the queue for better traffic flow, hopefully they keep the moody atmosphere that the old queue had. But we're getting off-topic here. :oops:

mickeyfan5534

My sources are running deep and wide. The new theatre's seating is about 3,000 so I'm hearing choice of Brown Derby, Sci-Fi Dine In, and a Fantasia character meal at Hollywood and Vine (Dig out those Noah's Ark Donald and Daisy costumes Disney!).

Magic Feather

Just got in a new leaked map of the facility. Of note is a path leading from outside the park, in theater restrooms, and concessions. Expect a DPB piece soon!
image.jpeg

Magic Feather

*disclaimer this is not a real Disney Parks Blog article. Made purely for the form of competition*

A new article came up on the DPB, here is the transcript:

The Menken Theater- A Fantasia-stical Place
image.jpeg

Hey everyone! I am here to share an exclusive update on the new Menken Theater coming to Disney's Hollywood that will be home to "Fantasia." This show, created in collaboration with Cirque du Soleil, will take guests on a 65-minute journey through the vignettes of "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000" as magnificent acts, such as a sandpainter and silk dancers, unfold to the iconic soundtracks. Expect more details on the show itself at a later time, but I am here to talk about the new theater. Ever since Theater of the Stars was demolished, our crew has been constructing a new, all-indoor facility featuring a variety of new features never before seen in a Disney Parks theater.
First off, for seating purposes, guests will get to use the new SeatSelect+ function on the MyDisneyExperience app or disneyworld.com to find their seat for their showtimes, if they have park admission. Advanced seats take up one Tier 1 FASTPASS+ experience, and are only available for the Orchestra Level. Should guests not have park admission, they too can view this show, for a fee of $24.99 per person, and subsequently reserve seating on the mezzanine. An entrance for these guests can enter at a new place to the right of the main park entrance. Should guests not want to use a FASTPASS+ selection, they can wait until the day of, and visit a kiosk in the main atrium of the theater, where they can scan their park admission, and select from remaining seats in the Orchestra, Mezzanine, and the front rows of the Balcony area. Guests who are inable to retrieve a seat can wait for standby seating in the balcony.
Upon coming up to the new entrance, reminiscent of the Griffith Observatory, guests will enter a gorgeous atrium, with a magnificent music note chandelier, that runs parallel to Sunset Blvd. Inside, SeatSelection+ kiosks, a concessions stand, and the main theater entrance. Once inside, high capacity restroom facilities and another concession stand (both of which are open throughout the show!) await near the three entrances. Guests will then scan into one of three entrances where they will proceed up a series of ADA- friendly ramps into the main theater!

We can't wait to share more about this new spectacular with you soon!

Magic Feather

Also just heard that we can expect about 3500+ capacity for the theater. About 1500 on the main floor, and 1000 for the others. This is shaping up to be massive.

mickeyfan5534

I'm actually kind of shocked I didn't hear much out of the theatre. The upcharge is very different from what I was told but I think this is a much better option for it. The Fantasia Nights idea would have meant far too much cooperation between Food and Beverage, Entertainment, and the notoriously difficult Events team.

I'm hearing two similar versions with the exact same plot. One's got Mickey, the other's got a professional illusionist. I prefer the second option. Also, Spring Sprite's been cut for Bacchus.

mickeyfan5534

So I got invited to a full preview by my leaker. No pictures. Disney is going to go full hard on no flash photography, no camera lighting here. They've told managers that they have to be the bad guy because of performer safety.
The theatre is gorgeous. It's something you'd expect from the time and place. The costumes are Cirque quality and there's actually a couple I'd have expected to show up in Fantasia, specifically the Khaleegy girls (think belly dance meets hula) and Flower Dance couples in Pastoral Symphony. Ok so for a full run through, please note there are reused assets. Some from La Nouba, some from Zed, one from Zarkana but done entirely differently.

When people enter, the entire stage is covered in a white sheet. No clue of what will happen shows and I really like it.
The Toccata and Fugue in D Minor opens the show as an Overture. The team really played with what the theatre could do on it's own here and we see some really cool light and laser effects (some very subtle foreshadowing for the penultimate act, more on that) that mimic the original film's actions. This led to the big reveal. Where the original segment ended on Leopold Stokowski, this one ends with the silhouette of The Sorcerer and the stage sucking the curtain into itself.

I'm very pleased to say that Cirque won out and an illusionist was cast for our main character. He's extremely talented and I've received word of two other just as talented casts working on the show. The Sorcerer does some smoke tricks and then leaves the stage, leading to the Apprentice doing some pretty great magic from a simple dove in balloon to the very stunning final trick that I really don't want to spoil. But yes, there is going to be multiple broom tricks for those asking. The end with the Sorcerer is pretty wonderful as it leads to one of my favorite acts and characters, The Oracle.

The woman I saw was brought in from the former Zarkana in Las Vegas and she is seriously amazing. The Rite of Spring may have been the music but there are no dinosaurs here. This is a masterpiece of visual storytelling as she cryptically outlines the show. I've been told that one Sandpainter does do the Rite of Spring story in her act and the other does original creations in his act. Yes, his. All of the roles are gender neutral aside from the Sorcerer. Story wise, this sends the Apprentice on his quest. The most impressive thing about the act is the massive screen that drops from the proscenium.

The next act sends the Apprentice in the air for some Spanish Webs I've seen. It's very tough to describe but if you've seen The Golden Mickey's it brings to mind the Tarzan scene. It's the highflying act Pines of Rome deserved.

The Apprentice lands in a city and it basically explodes. We're treated to the Apprentice's magic catching on some people and a dreams come true situation with Rhapsody in Blue. This leads to one of the two multi-acts in the show. There's a construction crew that does a Korean Plank, a put upon husband that does a pretty hilarious ball balancing and juggling combination, and a fractured family coming together for a banquine. Much as I love the acts separately, they don't really come together as well as they should.

Next up is an act that is quite frankly ridiculous. Carnival of the Animals takes place in a zoo and is pretty much there so Cirque didn't have to throw away the PowerTrack from La Nouba. I can see this being the first to get cut or ending up in Rhapsody in Blue later on.

On the other hand, the Pastoral Symphony is the standout segment. We go from Aerial silks to an interesting dance from the Persian Gulf called a Khaleegy. The girls who did this are so talented and wonderful. I'd gush more if I weren't crushed for time. This led to a ballroom dance (something between a waltz, a two-step, and a samba strangely enough) and it all culminated in a spectacular Georgian dance. It fit the traditional idea of Pastoral Symphony well but made it its own.

Bald Mountain is our climax and it's kind of a snore. The Chernabog puppet is fine and the demons are some spectacular puppets but that's all it is. Light Man lets the Apprentice have his time in the spotlight again with some cool light tricks (see, foreshadowing) and if there were a more energetic song, it'd be fantastic.

The Finale brings the entire cast together and mixes all the acts and adds in some trapeze with a spectacular rendition of the Firebird Suite. I miss the Spring Sprite's inclusion as it was due to be a pretty spectacular act but this was a pretty good replacement. It's grand, it's epic, and it's a mind blowing finale.

Bottom line run through or tl;dr, whichever you prefer.
Overture: Vortex Curtain (Toccata and Fugue in D Minor)
Sorcerer's Keep: Magic (The Sorcerer's Apprentice): The Apprentice steals The Sorcerer's hat and looses control of the resulting magic, accidentally spreading it throughout the land.
Sorcerer's Keep: Sandpainting (Rite of Spring): The Wizard presents The Apprentice to The Oracle, who shows how far the uncontrolled magic has spread.
Sky: Spanish Web (Pines of Rome): The Apprentice is taken to the sky as he sets off on his quest to save the world. He encounters the first results of his magic when he finds a pod of whales have taken to the stars.
City: Korean Plank/Rolling Globe/Banquine (Rhapsody in Blue): The Apprentice lands in a city where his magic has led to dreams coming true for a construction worker, a put upon husband, and a family.
Zoo: PowerTrack Trampoline (Carnival of the Animals): The Apprentice finds himself in the city zoo where his magic has made numerous animals become fun loving as they bounce around the exhibits.
Pastoral Mountain: Aerial Silks/Khaleegy/Flower Dance (Ballroom Dance)/Georgian Dance (Pastoral Symphony): The Apprentice bounces so high that he lands in the clouds where a group of Pegasus lead him to a Pastoral Mountain. There he joins in the festivities of Bacchus.
Bald Mountain: Puppetry (Night on Bald Mountain): The festivities are broken up at twilight, as a dark mood overtakes the Pastoral Mountain and the chaotic, out of control magic spreads to unleash a powerful force the Apprentice must fight.
Bald Mountain: Light Man (Ave Maria): The Apprentice manipulates his magic and the power of light to beat back the monstrous and uncontrollable demon that came of his mess.
Finale: All Acts Plus Trapeze (Firebird Suite): The Apprentice, having conquered his own magic, takes to the stars and commands the universe as the stars and winds kneel to his commands

How good is it? Softs start next week and are due to last a while because of SeatSelection+ testing. See it yourself. I personally give it an 8/10. Not perfect but what is good is damn good but some off acts let it down. Expect cuts and changes by both Cirque and Disney. I can confirm that there are understudy acts that are able to take over at a moment's notice and they are good but it's obvious why they're understudies and don't have their place in the show.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom