News New Space Mountain Coming to Tokyo Disneyland in 2027

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This one probably deserves its own thread.

Earlier today Tokyo Disney Resort announced that the classic Space Mountain attraction, a guest favorite since Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983, will be closing for a major renovation of Tomorrowland starting in 2024. By 2027 the new area will see a newly rebuilt Space Mountain attraction, keeping the original concept as a thrilling indoor coaster that takes guests on a high-speed journey through space, but will include enhanced performance and immersive special effects. These will give guests even more thrills throughout their journey and will provide a greater connection between Earth and the universe.

According to Walt Disney Imagineering Producer Kathleen Davis, “I’m thrilled to introduce this attraction to guests. It’s not only a whole new ride experience, but the story also has so much emotion. Through the queue and then on the ride, we see our connection to our planet and gain a new perspective for how special it is in all the universe. It’s a roller coaster with both thrill and heart.”

273tgku2h3tijgn24g231.jpg

In addition to the attraction, an all-new plaza in Tomorrowland will represent a future where humans are in harmony with nature. It will also give guests areas to rest and relax, while enjoying various icons and design elements that will create a sense of hope for the future. In the evenings, guests can enjoy lighting and sound effects that will further enhance their experience in this new area.

“With the overarching story of appreciating our home (Planet Earth), we are making this change to spread awareness of caring for our Earth and what she’s gifted us throughout time as we know it,” said Owen Yoshino, Senior Creative Director for Walt Disney Imagineering.

ParkPeeker

I’m liking this. It’s giving me ps5 or the projected Neo Midgar briefly shown in ff7R (I only like the look lol don’t @ me, eff Shinra!), with the shell plating designs and all the greenery. I also love all those “design elements”

our connection to our planet and gain a new perspective for how special it is in all the universe. It’s a roller coaster with both thrill and heart.”

while enjoying various icons and design elements that will create a sense of hope for the future.

With the overarching story of appreciating our home (Planet Earth), we are making this change to spread awareness of caring for our Earth

This sounds promising. I don’t remember if I mentioned this on the forums regarding the Disneyland Tomorrowland makeover, but I remember thinking that it should be about the idea of a sustainable/smart/mixed use/walkable/etc future city.

This sounds like they’re for that focus in sustainability in this Tomorrowland plaza redo. I hope the topic of climate change is explicitly talked about or shown in the ride/ design elements throughout the plaza.

tanc

So much expansion/renovation happening to TDL it's crazy. Guess they are preparing for their 50th as well. Hope to be in Japan around that time! Would be really cool to see the changes. Pirates is also getting a big refurbishment.

Married5Times

my first time at Tokyo Dis Resort 15 years ago I was thinking Tomorrowland looks so dated and unappealing..........easily the weakest link in the two park chain there. OLC be gettin medevil and gunna go to work on homz with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.
Tomorrowland will be spectacular and inside that structure will house something extra special to ride.

SweetDuffy101

So, From What ive heard is that OLC executives went to WDW to check on GOTG: Cosmic Rewind,
and apparently they loved the new technology being used for the new indoor coaster, Hinting that the new Space Mountain vaguely described as an "indoor coaster" might get a Cosmic rewind sort of technology or by that time that they will have new tricks at WDI.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, From What ive heard is that OLC executives went to WDW to check on GOTG: Cosmic Rewind,
and apparently they loved the new technology being used for the new indoor coaster, Hinting that the new Space Mountain vaguely described as an "indoor coaster" might get a Cosmic rewind sort of technology or by that time that they will have new tricks at WDI.
Yep I think it makes perfect sense to use the Cosmic Rewind ride system. Many riders have already said it would make a great next gen Space Mountain.

Comped

Can confirm the visit as accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom