New Rockwork at Enchanted tales

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I think Disney has done a good job with covering up the NFL area with more rockwork, and while I give them credit for paying attention to the small detail, they should probably also pay attention to even bigger "details" a la Soarin' show building....

soarin_2_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg
Although the Soarin' warehouse is just plain ugly, all of the Future World pavilions have always been visible from World Showcase since day one. World of Motion used to be the ugliest of the bunch. Now that honor goes to Soarin'. If the design of the Soarin' show building had been a bit more imaginative, the above view wouldn't be so atrocious, and we might have been a bit more forgiving.

roj2323

Although the Soarin' warehouse is just plain ugly, all of the Future World pavilions have always been visible from World Showcase since day one. World of Motion used to be the ugliest of the bunch. Now that honor goes to Soarin'. If the design of the Soarin' show building had been a bit more imaginative, the above view wouldn't be so atrocious, and we might have been a bit more forgiving.

One problem, This isn't the soarin' show building it's a special event tent known as world showcase events pavilion. http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps/gallery/08jan2013-park-maps-2013/17870.htm

The show building for soarin' is behind Figment. https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3724387,-81.5526135,236m/data=!3m1!1e3

Rob562

One problem, This isn't the soarin' show building it's a special event tent known as world showcase events pavilion. http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps/gallery/08jan2013-park-maps-2013/17870.htm

The show building for soarin' is behind Figment. https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3724387,-81.5526135,236m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The giant blue building looming above Canada from across the lagoon certainly *is* the Soarin' showbuilding. It's not even shown on the park map you linked to. It would be under the giant Agent P hat in the lower right. All you can see on that map is the connector building where the queue is.

World Showplace, formerly Millennium Village, is nowhere near as tall, and DEFINITELY not as visible. In fact, I don't think you can see if from anywhere in World Showcase other than right in-line with the gate leading to it.

It's even small when the gate is open and you can see the full front face of it:
dsc08320h.jpg

Also, if it *were* World Showplace, in what freak bending of geometry would it appear *behind* Canada from across the water? It's located to the *left* of Canada. The only way it would appear behind Canada would be if you were standing on the roof of Imagination.

-Rob

Last edited:

roj2323

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The giant blue building looming above Canada from across the lagoon certainly *is* the Soarin' showbuilding. It's not even shown on the park map you linked to. It would be under the giant Agent P hat in the lower right. All you can see on that map is the connector building where the queue is.

World Showplace, formerly Millennium Village, is nowhere near as tall, and DEFINITELY not as visible. In fact, I don't think you can see if from anywhere in World Showcase other than right in-line with the gate leading to it.

It's even small when the gate is open and you can see the full front face of it:

Also, if it *were* World Showplace, in what freak bending of geometry would it appear *behind* Canada from across the water? It's located to the *left* of Canada. The only way it would appear behind Canada would be if you were standing on the roof of Imagination.

-Rob

I see your point

Belowthesurface

This story is what I referred to as "for various reasons"...in another article I read, all of the above was mentioned, and yes, Eisner did fight for design control, but wasn't as concerned as their dominance over the Epcot skyline until it was too late. At least the younger trio of hotels (Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach) were designed with Epcot scale in mind.

Except you can see a Yacht Club building from inside the park.

tl77

There's actually much more behind the placement of these two hotels. The most reliable story is covered in another site:

"In the early 1980’s, the Disney Company was subjected to several hostile takeover attempts. In order to fend off these attacks, the company needed an infusion of money -- quickly. One of the parties Disney turned to was Tishman, the construction company that built much of Epcot. In return for the loan, Tishman would be allowed to build two convention hotels somewhere on property. In the end, Disney prevailed and the takeover attempts were thwarted, but many of the company’s executives were ousted. It was at this time that Michael Eisner and Frank Wells entered the picture with a directive to further develop the Florida property.

In 1984, the only on-property hotels were the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Golf Resort (later the Disney Inn, currently Shades of Green). Eisner wanted to build more, architecturally pleasing resorts to lure off-property guests to spend their entire vacation on Disney property. But there was this pesky contract with Tishman that needed to be honored first. After reviewing Tishman’s plans, it was discovered that they intended to build uninspired “boxy” buildings. This did not please Eisner, so in typical fashion, he demanded that the contract with Tishman be broken. Of course Tishman did not take kindly to this and filed a countersuit against Disney. In the end, Disney had to back down but a new contract was crafted. It gave Tishman a prime location next to Epcot but it gave Disney the right to determine the design. So Eisner hired famed architect Michael Graves, who had never designed a hotel before, to create the whimsical Swan and Dolphin Resort. The Swan opened January 13, 1990 and the Dolphin opened June 1, of the same year."

So, don't be so quick to criticize. I think Eisner was instrumental in at least trying to make them as pleasing to the eye as opposed to a couple of Holiday Inn like boxes.

Michael Graves also designed this building for Disney, so would people prefer the Seven Dwarfs looming over Epcot instead of swans and dolphins?
k356469628588121.jpg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Michael Graves also designed this building for Disney, so would people prefer the Seven Dwarfs looming over Epcot instead of swans and dolphins?
k356469628588121.jpg
I prefer this to the Swolphin.

But, where is the future monorail pass through?

Rob562

Not doubting you, just asking where exactly? Would love to see a picture of this.

The only place I can think of is you can see the top edges of the Beach Club Villas from the upper level of the Canada pavilion. Nothing an additional couple feet of rockwork on one side wouldn't fix. (Though the Soarin' building from across the water is a whole 'nother story...)

-Rob

CrescentLake

As of Sunday. It's not actually exactly the same. You can see the additional rock through the tarps where before it was just steel but it's hard to tell in the photo.

Well I appreciate the update. Glad they're working on it. Wish they would pay attention to other sightlines in the MK and elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom