News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Bocabear

I completely missed them... The way the hotel is laid out, there didn't seem to be any connection between the lobby and other guest areas... nothing obvious anyway. Felt like a lobby, then an elevator to the top or I guess elevator down to the pool... Again, unless we all missed something completely....which is entirely possible...

Bocabear

Theme used to be Disney's forte--the current management has lost that completely with their generic construction-- such a shame --that is what I used to love about WDW
According to many commenters on the boards, "people" don't want theme anymore, they just want a $575 night hotel that looks like a Marriott.... sadly.....
I don't know who those "people" are, but they don't include anyone I ever met or knew...People I know loved that about Disney...the Disney Difference.....

pdude81

Bay Lake Tower isn't great, but the Contemporary was never really a themed resort to begin with so it's not especially out of place there IMO.

Regardless, I think you're being a bit disingenuous. There are a lot of people who have problems with this that do not hate everything Disney does. Both it and Riviera are a departure from what Disney did so well in the past, and what separated it from other places for many guests. It's the same reason so many people have issues with the Guardians and TRON gravity buildings even when they like the attractions themselves.

You're also being pretty dismissive of anybody who might disagree with you -- you're framing it as though if you personally care about something then it's actually important but if it's something that doesn't matter to you (or doesn't matter as much) then it's silly and nobody should care.
Clearly I disagree with you on some of the basics, so I won't litigate each piece.

But keep in mind that the hive mind or "mob" as I might say is really aggressively mad about this resort and many others. I do understand the concerns and even agree with them in some cases, but what "some" are missing is that this is what people have asked for. Convenient transportation, 1 and 2 bedroom units, no more bungalows or high priced cabins, views of nighttime entertainment.

Guardians gravity building is a great example of this. It's an eyesore and I would prefer it not be there if there were other options... but if given the choice I'd do exactly the same thing. Epcot can't have any more e-tickets that shut down every summer afternoon. They could have used 3x the space and made it much shorter, but for what?

Incomudro

Clearly I disagree with you on some of the basics, so I won't litigate each piece.

But keep in mind that the hive mind or "mob" as I might say is really aggressively mad about this resort and many others. I do understand the concerns and even agree with them in some cases, but what "some" are missing is that this is what people have asked for. Convenient transportation, 1 and 2 bedroom units, no more bungalows or high priced cabins, views of nighttime entertainment.

Guardians gravity building is a great example of this. It's an eyesore and I would prefer it not be there if there were other options... but if given the choice I'd do exactly the same thing. Epcot can't have any more e-tickets that shut down every summer afternoon. They could have used 3x the space and made it much shorter, but for what?
Great creative minds don't give the people what they ask for.
Instead, they create great art - which a portion of the people inevitably like.

James Alucobond

I mean, they could dress the gravity building ever so slightly in deference to the fact that it’s frequently on stage and most people would stop complaining. I suspect the same is true here where the Polynesian character of the building for some reason terminates two floors from the top on every wing (switches to glass balcony railings, diminishes the faux wood details, and flares out into a generic roofline). Fix that and you’d probably have 60% fewer people complaining.

GeoDonJac34

Sorry if someone already asked, but does anyone know if the new tower rooms are already in the DVC inventory for booking. We are planning an early January trip. We rent from a family member, he can't book until June. Right now only studios in SSR and GFV available. We were really hoping for Poly

pdude81

Sorry if someone already asked, but does anyone know if the new tower rooms are already in the DVC inventory for booking. We are planning an early January trip. We rent from a family member, he can't book until June. Right now only studios in SSR and GFV available. We were really hoping for Poly
you would see them listed as an option but unavailable. I don't believe they are there yet.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Having lost both my father and best friend to brain cancer, my father taken at age 47 when I was in my early 20s, and my best friend
when he and I were both in our early 50s, I can see how this analogy could be upsetting, and I certainly apologize if I have upset anyone as that was not my intent. Some may also see this an opportunity to crack jokes, but rest assured given my personal experience this was not a term I used lightly.

Having said that, let me change the word cancer to blight. Perhaps a more appropriate term, as what has occurred at WDW in the case of DVC properties such as the tower at the Polynesian are not the result of a random life-threatening disease, but of a deliberate, pre-meditated (and in my opinion seriously flawed) decision-making process. I stand by my opinion that these developments are incongruous with their surroundings and thus threaten the integrity and identity of the resort.
Don't apologize. People need to grow a backbone and some thicker skin. I've lost people I knew and loved to cancer and suicide. Doesn't change my use of the word, or my enjoyment of the HM pre-show, and I'm nowhere close to being offended if someone uses the word to describe something in an accurate fashion.

Instead of blight, what about a virus? But I still think cancer is a more apropos analogy to use - it keeps spreading throughout the host, taking over more.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Rooms cannot be declared until they and the facility in general are actually completed.

LittleBuford

Don't apologize. People need to grow a backbone and some thicker skin. I've lost people I knew and loved to cancer and suicide. Doesn't change my use of the word, or my enjoyment of the HM pre-show, and I'm nowhere close to being offended if someone uses the word to describe something in an accurate fashion.

Instead of blight, what about a virus? But I still think cancer is a more apropos analogy to use - it keeps spreading throughout the host, taking over more.
I don’t believe anyone was offended. I certainly wasn’t.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps what some consider overdramatic—and I would agree—is invoking a life-threatening disease in relation to a themed resort. Yes, Disney is important to us all, but there’s a point at which the hyperbole tips into something excessive and inappropriate.
It’s a metaphor…not a literal comment or slight. We have the ability to use all the English language intelligently and that’s not something that should be snuffed out. Much more inappropriate is the thinly veiled, repeated attacks on character by posters. It’s quite frequent. Usually it’s a way of excusing mistakes by Disney…which is not a person, doesn’t have feelings, and cares not for what any of us say or think.
Personal attacks are small and sad when that’s the “slight”.
Having lost both my father and best friend to brain cancer, my father taken at age 47 when I was in my early 20s, and my best friend
when he and I were both in our early 50s, I can see how this analogy could be upsetting, and I certainly apologize if I have upset anyone as that was not my intent. Some may also see this an opportunity to crack jokes, but rest assured given my personal experience this was not a term I used lightly.

Having said that, let me change the word cancer to blight. Perhaps a more appropriate term, as what has occurred at WDW in the case of DVC properties such as the tower at the Polynesian are not the result of a random life-threatening disease, but of a deliberate, pre-meditated (and in my opinion seriously flawed) decision-making process. I stand by my opinion that these developments are incongruous with their surroundings and thus threaten the integrity and identity of the resort.
Don’t apologize.

Both my parents had aggressive forms when they were 41/40…one was ripped apart for the next 18 months before - thankfully - his body gave out. He had run 2 marathons in the 18 months prior to the diagnosis

The other fared “better”…she got another 12 years. But the trauma of everything brought out the latent manic depressive/schizophrenic traits she wrestled to control her whole life and could barely function afterwards. So I more or less had to raise myself day to day starting at 14.

Zero need to apologize to anyone. What you said was not mean or vindictive at all.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I booked the poly for Memorial Day about 3 weeks ago…the place isn’t overflowing. You may be ok when the windows open. You usually are most spots.

LittleBuford

It’s a metaphor…not a literal comment or slight. We have the ability to use all the English language intelligently and that’s not something that should be snuffed out. Much more inappropriate is the thinly veiled, repeated attacks on character by posters. It’s quite frequent. Usually it’s a way of excusing mistakes by Disney…which is not a person, doesn’t have feelings, and cares not for what any of us say or think.
Personal attacks are small and sad when that’s the “slight”.

Don’t apologize.

Both my parents had aggressive forms when they were 41/40…one was ripped apart for the next 18 months before - thankfully - his body gave out. He had ran 2 marathons in the 18 months prior to the diagnosis

The other fared “better”…she got another 12 years. But the trauma of everything brought out the latent manic depressive/schizophrenic traits she wrestled to control her whole life and could barely function afterwards. So I more or less had to raise myself day to day starting at 14.

Zero need to apologize to anyone. What you said was not mean or vindictive at all.
To clarify, the metaphor neither offends nor upsets me. I just find it overly dramatic and disproportionate in relation to a Disney holiday. I would say the same of any extreme language (disease-related or not) used in this context.

Virtual Toad

Let me just say I am thankful for the support and eager to move on. Thinking about it is always difficult for survivors. But sometimes reflection can be a good thing too. So there is always a silver lining.

What I (and probably most everyone else at this point lol) want is for everyone on these forums to stop nitpicking over words and/or semantics and simply discuss the topics at hand. And most of all, approach someone else's opinion with respect, even if you disagree.

I've been part of the Disney fan community for nearly a quarter-century now, dating back to the RADP days. I stick around because despite our differences, we really are a community. We may all be "pixie dusters" or "haters" or somewhere in between. Some of us tend to be hyperbolic or overly dramatic (and yes I am well aware that applies to me) but that's just how some of us choose to express ourselves. But we're all deeply passionate about the same thing and that has to count for something.

At the end of the day, we're all here for opinion and discussion, so let's not let it devolve into something else. This community is better than that, and like just about everyone these days, we all have so much more in common than we realize.

So enough said. Hugs to all and let's move forward. 🙂

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Let me just say I am thankful for the support and eager to move on. Thinking about it is always difficult for survivors. But sometimes reflection can be a good thing too. So there is always a silver lining.

What I (and probably most everyone else at this point lol) want is for everyone on these forums to stop nitpicking over words and/or semantics and simply discuss the topics at hand. And most of all, approach someone else's opinion with respect, even if you disagree.

I've been part of the Disney fan community for nearly a quarter-century now, dating back to the RADP days. I stick around because despite our differences, we really are a community. We may all be "pixie dusters" or "haters" or somewhere in between. Some of us tend to be hyperbolic or overly dramatic (and yes I am well aware that applies to me) but that's just how some of us choose to express ourselves. But we're all deeply passionate about the same thing and that has to count for something.

At the end of the day, we're all here for opinion and discussion, so let's not let it devolve into something else. This community is better than that, and like just about everyone these days, we all have so much more in common than we realize.

So enough said. Hugs to all and let's move forward. 🙂

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

RADP… now I feel really old. Bring up a Disney mIRC channel and I may curl up in the fetal position. 😂

BrianLo

But to clarify my cancer comment, I feel the historically recent 15-ish story DVC towers are in fact a cancerous blight on the resort. Would these even be considered for construction as part of any responsible master plan without the irresistible lure of easy DVC money?

What recent 15-ish story DVC towers are you referring to. VDH, BLT? Nothing else is within range of being a 'high rise'. The only example of a high rise actually being added to a resort without being high-rise based is Gran Destino... and that's on the hotel side. Apart from that I think we have to go back to Swan/Dolphin?

Is it mid-rises you dislike? The low-rises had their time, but they lead to a certain amount of sprawl that actually isn't that popular with modern guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom