News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

JD80

Perhaps what some would consider overdramatic—and I would agree—is invoking a life-threatening disease in relation to a themed resort. Yes, Disney is important to us all, but there’s a point at which the hyperbole tips into something excessive and inappropriate.

I agree, the amount of dramatic responses in this thread has become a rot that is destroying the fabric of our society.

Virtual Toad

Perhaps what some consider overdramatic—and I would agree—is invoking a life-threatening disease in relation to a themed resort. Yes, Disney is important to us all, but there’s a point at which the hyperbole tips into something excessive and inappropriate.
Having lost both my father and best friend to brain cancer, my father taken at age 47 when I was in my early 20s, and my best friend
when he and I were both in our early 50s, I can see how this analogy could be upsetting, and I certainly apologize if I have upset anyone as that was not my intent. Some may also see this an opportunity to crack jokes, but rest assured given my personal experience this was not a term I used lightly.

Having said that, let me change the word cancer to blight. Perhaps a more appropriate term, as what has occurred at WDW in the case of DVC properties such as the tower at the Polynesian are not the result of a random life-threatening disease, but of a deliberate, pre-meditated (and in my opinion seriously flawed) decision-making process. I stand by my opinion that these developments are incongruous with their surroundings and thus threaten the integrity and identity of the resort.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Perhaps what some consider overdramatic—and I would agree—is invoking a life-threatening disease in relation to a themed resort. Yes, Disney is important to us all, but there’s a point at which the hyperbole tips into something excessive and inappropriate.
I think definition 2 fits the spread of DVC resorts ;)

1713893733257.png

Ayla

It's an oft used phrase and I see nothing wrong with using it. And before the expected "bet you never had anyone close to you die of cancer!!!!!", my mother died of breast cancer.

LittleBuford

Having lost both my father and best friend to brain cancer, my father taken at age 47 when I was in my early 20s, and my best friend
when he and I were both in our early 50s, I can see how this analogy could be upsetting, and I certainly apologize if I have upset anyone as that was not my intent. Some may also see this an opportunity to crack jokes, but rest assured given my personal experience this was not a term I used lightly.

Having said that, let me change the word cancer to blight. Perhaps a more appropriate term, as what has occurred at WDW in the case of DVC properties such as the tower at the Polynesian are not the result of a random life-threatening disease, but of a deliberate, pre-meditated (and in my opinion seriously flawed) decision-making process. I stand by my opinion that these developments are incongruous with their surroundings and thus threaten the integrity and identity of the resort.
I am truly sorry for your losses and thank you for your gracious response.

LittleBuford

It's an oft used phrase and I see nothing wrong with using it. And before the expected "bet you never had anyone close to you die of cancer!!!!!", my mother died of breast cancer.
First, I’m sorry for your loss. I remember you talking about your mother before her passing.

We can agree to disagree about the appropriateness of the phrase.

LittleBuford

I think definition 2 fits the spread of DVC resorts ;)

View attachment 781223
I’m well aware of the definition. To be clear, I don’t object to the metaphorical use of the word “cancer” in such sentences as the example given in the screenshot you shared. It does, however, strike me as disproportionate in relation to something like Walt Disney World. I personally think that such charged and/or emotive language should be reserved for serious situations that are of real consequence to people’s lives.

Last edited:

pdude81

I’m well aware of the definition. To be clear, I don’t object to the metaphorical use of the word “cancer” in such sentences as the example given in the screenshot you shared. It does, however, strike me as disproportionate in relation to something like Walt Disney World. I personally think that such charged and/or emotive language should be reserved for serious situations that are of real consequence to people’s lives.
Exactly. Lung cancer killed Walt. Tower cancer has killed nothing.

Now I totally understand people having issues with design choices. I just don't think we should say it's a literal cancer, because that is objectively not true. I don't prefer people taking consistent shots at Disney building the things people actually want, even if those things aren't as awesome as other things they have built before. However, everybody can weigh in with their opinions on dormer construction as we are part of a free society. Carry on

UNCgolf

People want 1 and 2 BR rooms at the Polynesian and people want "Theme park view" rooms. It will be hard to get rooms at this location as soon as rooms are released. Now we can fight about theming and legacy, but this will be commercially successful.

I don't think is a good argument.

Disney could drop a Six Flags level coaster in the middle of Animal Kingdom and it would probably be pretty popular/commercially successful because people like roller coasters, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the park.

I think the Riviera has also been commercially successful and it's an eyesore, but it's at least in a relatively isolated location (other than people staying at Caribbean Beach).

pdude81

I don't think is a good argument.

Disney could drop a Six Flags level coaster in the middle of Animal Kingdom and it would probably be pretty popular/commercially successful because people like roller coasters, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Ok. How about this. I like the Riviera. I think many of the criticisms are ridiculous and overblown. While the exterior theming is less intense than many other resorts, it's no less boring than say Bay Lake Tower or any other really successful location. What they get right, with centralized location and dining without having to walk in the rain to get places, is better than what they get wrong. I expect this will be similarly popular and successful, while people invoke countless crocodile tears about something that makes almost no difference in their lives.

Good is subjective. And hating on everything Disney chooses is popular, so that's where the easy path lies.

UNCgolf

Ok. How about this. I like the Riviera. I think many of the criticisms are ridiculous and overblown. While the exterior theming is less intense than many other resorts, it's no less boring than say Bay Lake Tower or any other really successful location. What they get right, with centralized location and dining without having to walk in the rain to get places, is better than what they get wrong. I expect this will be similarly popular and successful, while people invoke countless crocodile tears about something that makes almost no difference in their lives.

Good is subjective. And hating on everything Disney chooses is popular, so that's where the easy path lies.

Bay Lake Tower isn't great, but the Contemporary was never really a themed resort to begin with so it's not especially out of place there IMO.

Regardless, I think you're being a bit disingenuous. There are a lot of people who have problems with this that do not hate everything Disney does. Both it and Riviera are a departure from what Disney did so well in the past, and what separated it from other places for many guests. It's the same reason so many people have issues with the Guardians and TRON gravity buildings even when they like the attractions themselves.

You're also being pretty dismissive of anybody who might disagree with you -- you're framing it as though if you personally care about something then it's actually important but if it's something that doesn't matter to you (or doesn't matter as much) then it's silly and nobody should care.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

In my opinion -

Riviera was not a DVC add on to an opening day resort.
Bay Lake tower MATCHES the Contemporary and I think the bridge is really cool.

I wish they made an attempt on this Poly DVC to somewhat match the original Polynesian Village Resort.

Last edited:

plutofan15

Riviera being a high rise resort is not my cup of tea but I certainly am not going to let it have any affect whatsoever on my vacation. What I do like about the resort is escaping Epcot for a counter service meal at Primo Piatto. The Skyliner makes the trip quick and easy. The food there is rather good and it is a break from the crowds. Anyone I know who has stayed there enjoyed their stay and have nothing negative to report. I will wait until the new Polynesian building is open and complete before passing judgement.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Aside from the main restaurant at the top, are there other dining choices at the Riviera? We stayed there in one of their 3 bedroom units. I will say, the room was beautiful, HUGE and very well appointed. We had a great view of the lake and other resorts. Having the Skyliner was a plus that we also really enjoyed except for the many times on that trip that it was down due to thunderstorms. I recall no theme whatsoever at the hotel beyond a photo here and there, and some wrought iron details around the entrance. If not for that this could have been any nice modern hotel... Having no discernable theme beyond it's name makes it feel like we stayed at a non-Disney resort... It didn't feel like we were in the bubble other than the sporadic Skyliner availability. RE hotel amenities, there is a pool and a restaurant on the top and I don't recall anything else...it did not feel like a resort you would want to hang out in and explore...Like the Poly or the other Disney resorts....
We would not go out of our way to book it again...
it was not bad...the room was lovely... the experience as a whole was just ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom