New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

That's what I think too (I know you have additional information, but it seems logical nevertheless), and I just can't wrap my head around all the people proclaiming that it will open next summer with Pandora. That scenario just seems entirely unlikely.
I am confident that it will be marketed as new with Pandora, but highly skeptical that it will supposedly not de facto open in the next couple months.

dreamfinder

644E1CDD-AE41-4E94-8B80-6065C47A9405_zpsybry72od.png

It's so beautiful! How do I get all of this merchandise?!?!?

Looks like a CM ID lanyard. Unless you know a CM, eBay would be your best bet. The big question should be, is this a WDI item, or a regular cast item? That would determine who you need to befriend to get them to buy it for you.

Asking because I truly do not know. Has there ever been a situation where Disney has done cast previews of something, and then proceeded to delay a public opening by an additional 6 months? If this does happen with Rivers of Light, it seems truly odd to me.

Eh, I'd still say it's preferable to the Light Magic debacle at DLR years ago. It lasted what, 3 months before disappearing for good?
Remember, that until 5-6 years ago with the explosion of internet/social media, cast previews could happen, and no one would really know or care.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The show has major.... creative issues. On top of any lasting technical hang ups.

Just things I've heard from those.... higher up.

I'm being purposely vague obviously but what is playing now is not what was pitched. And what was pitched all those years ago may not be one of night times finest shows.

JAMMYD778

The show has major.... creative issues. On top of any lasting technical hang ups.

I'm being purposely vague obviously but what is playing now is not what was pitched. And what was pitched all those years ago may not be one of night times finest shows.

Do you know when these creative changes to the original design were issued? They must have been quite early in development; if you look at the show walk-through video by Mark Renfrow back in May, aside from the omission of the floating lanterns, the show is pretty much identical to that which was shown at the cast previews having read reviews from those. This also leads me to believe that not much will be changed for the premiere unless they completely re-design the show. This also rings true to when you say that what was originally pitched in concept, is not the current show.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know when these creative changes to the original design were issued? They must have been quite early in development; if you look at the show walk-through video by Mark Renfrow back in May, aside from the omission of the floating lanterns, the show is pretty much identical to that which was shown at the cast previews having read reviews from those. This also leads me to believe that not much will be changed for the premiere unless they completely re-design the show.
I have to be careful what I say. It seems what was installed in Orlando is not considered high enough calibre. This is not from rank and file CMs previews. I'd be a little surprised if something doesn't open next year, with the option to work on it or start over again once it's bedded in.

Clamman73

(Without seeing it) It seems like it still needs a "hook" to the show for the masses. Is it the fire at the end? The potential for the lanterns incorporated into the show?
I'm fine with the pretty visuals and music and appreciate the effort made into this, but what is the draw for the general public? And not necessarily the need to have an IP to it. Seems to be the need of a highlight to the show???

TTA94

So basically they need to start from scratch and create a new show... but in the mean time they will debut the watered down version of RoL so they can "move on" from the whole disaster.

TTA94

Honestly the version that was shown to CMs was not That bad. I saw it myself. Is it a mind blowing major nighttime show? No. Never was meant to be really. But it is still a cute enjoyable show and much better than Jungle Book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom