New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

prfctlyximprct

644E1CDD-AE41-4E94-8B80-6065C47A9405_zpsybry72od.png

It's so beautiful! How do I get all of this merchandise?!?!?

JAMMYD778

Not sure if anyone has picked up on it and probably in light of the recent press release, the Rivers of Light page on the Disney website has been updated! No times or date info obviously but the images have been updated (new ones seem to have appeared and they look beautiful) and the various tabs have been updated also.

The 'A Story at Sundown Set Aglow' tab has been stripped back in detail but no real substance has changed. Just a reduction in description.

The '
Everything the Light Touches' tab has also been stripped back and the mention of 100 asian laterns stripped completely as we already deduced will not be appearing in the show (at least not yet).

The '
Know Before You Go' before you go tab has seen most change with the 'Disney Parks Blog update in May' message being removed but most intriguingly, the addition of the statement that the show is approximately 15 minutes in length and can be viewed up to three times nightly (although I'm pretty certain we knew that three shows was the goal).

BriEcho3194

Not sure if anyone has picked up on it and probably in light of the recent press release, the Rivers of Light page on the Disney website has been updated! No times or date info obviously but the images have been updated (new ones seem to have appeared and they look beautiful) and the various tabs have been updated also.

The 'A Story at Sundown Set Aglow' tab has been stripped back in detail but no real substance has changed. Just a reduction in description.

The '
Everything the Light Touches' tab has also been stripped back and the mention of 100 asian laterns stripped completely as we already deduced will not be appearing in the show (at least not yet).

The '
Know Before You Go' before you go tab has seen most change with the 'Disney Parks Blog update in May' message being removed but most intriguingly, the addition of the statement that the show is approximately 15 minutes in length and can be viewed up to three times nightly (although I'm pretty certain we knew that three shows was the goal).
Hopefully this means it's coming sooner than we think. It's nice to see them using actual pictures from the show and not the concept art.

ctxak98

You saw the 17-minute version with the Peace on Earh finale after the first two finales and think it "still needs more"? Perhaps your expectations are unreasonable. PoE makes Wishes look like an 8-year old waving sparklers around.
I don't think the finale needs more. I just think the middle portion still needs more then just lasers. It's a long period of time with not too much going on. It's my Favorite show so don't put words into my mouth, thanks

ctxak98

I think seeing anything that many times, changes your perception, even if it's something you very much enjoy. I've seen RoE about once per year for 15 years, so I never have that feeling. Maybe it's the fewer viewings I've had, or it just fits my personality perfectly. :)
I never get sick of it! I think the middle portion could use more for multiple reasons. One being kids get bored watching that portion, causing them to start talking and getting on there phones. It's distracting for me which is maybe why that portion always feels long. If they added more Visuals maybe that would help idk.

Cesar R M

Lots of people do. Have you read this whole thread where many people detailed how they had booked opening weekend/one month after/two months after/4 months after/etc specifically to be able to see RoL? Your once in a lifetime guests, probably not. But lots of die hards and those who make multiple trips do plan specifically to see new attractions.

That said, thinking they should release it just because someone booked a trip falls into people complaining that a ride was under refurb when they went and their vacation was ruined. If WDW is to attempt to maintain any sort of level of show, things need to be well cared for, and open only when able to maintain a high level of show. Current management may seem to usually shrug this concept off most days (see things ranging from the Yeti to simply stuff like keep the ride queues properly cleaned/painted). But releasing something that isn't quite ready for prime time flies in the very face of what most of this forums members clamor for on a regular basis, a return to an era were management cared about the product and it's delivery.
Well, there are always those kind of people who want to brag about "being first" on all things.
Reminds me of those VERY ANNOYING commenters on youtube videos.. they only say "LOL FIRST.." like they won some kind of price.. its puzzling.

Cesar R M

Well, since it seems that we have a while, let's dissect some concept art, while talking about what happens when you remove the floating (on the water, not in the sky) lanterns.
First: The original plan, featuring our first piece of RoL Concept Art:
View attachment 178769
Now let's analyze. First: We see lanterns on the water in the foreground. These were meant to be the opening act of the show which proposes the question, "Why does everyone think the show lacks and ending, when it really lacks a beggining?". Now, for this answer, let's move further up to the central float. If you couldn't already tell, this was the original concept for the Temple Lotus. Now, remeber this, as we will see what has become of the temple later on, but note it's brilliant fire effects, and drummers, as well as extended petals. On the left and right we see the two shaman boats, that are near identical to what we are getting. Lastly for this piece is the animals in the Aurora Borealis. While the Aurora still play a role in the show (last I heard), it was significantly reduced, almost leading to the dillema, about the lack of a story. Before these shamans would usher in the lanterns for a lantern festival, and summon lightforms of animals of sorts, but due to the loss of lanterns, this story falls apart.

Now onto the second piece:
View attachment 178770
To be perfectly honest, sans lanterns, this is the concept art closest to what you will see when RoL Debuts. The main difference us that you shouldn't exoect for the smaller lotuses to surround the temple, just be in front of it. (But they may go behind once, I'll have to look into it. Also, the size difference isn't that big. Onto our final piece of art:
View attachment 178771
I have to admit, this is probably the concept art that simultaneously excites, and gives a decent vision. Drop the lanterns, fuzzy up the image of the constellations, ditch the birds (which I don't think were ever planned, talk about artistic liberties), and reposition some of the floats, and you have what was the intended "Wow Moment!" That everyone says RoL lacks. The sad thing is, we have a (slightly dialed down) version of this. Why isn't is a wow moment? It is because it lacks kinetics. Now I knwo what you are thinking "But, @Magic Feather , there will be moving flames and water jets. While this is true, guests have come to expect more. In Illuminations for instance, if you just opened the globe to see the torch, you would admittedly have a mediocre reaction. Now if you opened the globe with no emotional build up, you would see in IllumiNations what is happening with Rivers of Light. So when the big finale is faded into and out of, it makes for a clear, but confusing climax.

PS: It's not that RoL's possible substance is lacking (altough it partly is), it is that its potential marketing is lacking. If they hold off to AVATAR, they can make a huge nightime push at AK like they attempted in May, instead of two seperate drops, they want to make a splash.
I wonder.. why they dont just put a bigger underwater "float" with the lanterns attached to them.
Instead of moving individual lanterns.. you move "clusters" of lanterns attached to a single entity.
all the images shows most of the lanterns clustering near the viewers.
Cant they just add a railing mechanism to "push" the lanterns using an underwater canopy or cable in clusters?

Kman101

It'd be nice if they were at least shooting for Earth Day of 2017 for Avatar/RoL. Wow, imagine that. A year later than when it was supposed to debut.

But we're left with the vague "Summer" for Avatar which could be until September 20th.

TabulaRasa

Asking because I truly do not know. Has there ever been a situation where Disney has done cast previews of something, and then proceeded to delay a public opening by an additional 6 months? If this does happen with Rivers of Light, it seems truly odd to me.

dreamscometrue

Asking because I truly do not know. Has there ever been a situation where Disney has done cast previews of something, and then proceeded to delay a public opening by an additional 6 months? If this does happen with Rivers of Light, it seems truly odd to me.
I believe Test Track? Others on here would know for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom