New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

JohnWD

NORMALLY i would agree with both of the above posters, however... when you have chosen a date FAR in advance because you know RoL, Maelstrom redo, and late nights at AK are planned for the spring... when suddenly your vacation in the AUTUMN may miss one of the major "new things" on your to do list, you really can't fault the person and say "well don't book a vacation around it".

Some people have vacations booked further out because of it (crazy folks like me. HI!!!), and are now learning they may or may not see the new show.
We go every year. Last year's trip was in the middle of the PoTC refurb. We consoled ourselves with we'll ride it next year. I think people who go regularly feel the same - disappointed, but something to look forward to. People who go rarely will be more disappointed if they knew what they were missing. But there is always something to look forward to that isn't here yet!

disme8

I agree entirely. The non-military applications of GPS fall far short of what is needed here, which is why they have to redefine how this system works. They need localized antenna. To make it portable to other locations, they could even devise a centralized antenna system on a float anchored in the center. There are many different approaches to achieve the same end result, but each requires it's own design & development process. (As for military - I only put that in here as I'm sure there are folk out there laughing at Disney right now as they've already gone through these growing pains, most likely to have ditched the GPS idea for now.)

I bet they are laughing more at the people assuming that GPS is a issue or that a boat has sunk. We can all sit here and guess whats going on. but no one really knows unless they are on the imagineering team working on this. I'm sure there is a opening on the Imagineering team for someone who knows better than they do.

Side note.
Did Disney ever say this was going to be WoC? Im happy they are trying something new and different.

Kman101

Exactly. People keep bringing up WOC and while that's fine and great for the park it's in (it's not my cup of tea TBH, but I also haven't seen it in person and have admitted as much), this is designed for the park it is in and it's a different experience. Why should it be the same or need to be the same? I'm really really looking forward to this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I bet they are laughing more at the people assuming that GPS is a issue or that a boat has sunk. We can all sit here and guess whats going on. but no one really knows unless they are on the imagineering team working on this. I'm sure there is a opening on the Imagineering team for someone who knows better than they do.

Side note.
Did Disney ever say this was going to be WoC? Im happy they are trying something new and different.

Actually I'll bet they are not laughing but updating their resume...

note2001

Side note.

I bet not.

FigmentForver96

Exactly. People keep bringing up WOC and while that's fine and great for the park it's in (it's not my cup of tea TBH, but I also haven't seen it in person and have admitted as much), this is designed for the park it is in and it's a different experience. Why should it be the same or need to be the same? I'm really really looking forward to this.
WOC is a beautiful show in person and really does hold its own as a nighttime show. It's biggest downfall, however, is the fact there is no storyline. It is just movie clips displayed on water screens. Great show but no story, which is what makes shows like Illuminations what they are.

Kman101

WOC is a beautiful show in person and really does hold its own as a nighttime show. It's biggest downfall, however, is the fact there is no storyline. It is just movie clips displayed on water screens. Great show but no story, which is what makes shows like Illuminations what they are.

Yeah, I just don't really connect with it because it does seem exactly as you described. It's too bad everytime they try the suits get to it and make it about showing off their IPs and less about telling a story. Again though, I'm sure I'll really love it when I see it in person, videos don't do that kind of show justice of course, but it kind of misses the mark in a sense.

BrianLo

Catching up on this thread...

7O2FM6I.gif

doctornick

Agreed. I like WoC well enough, but think it's a tad overhyped.

peter11435

JeffBostock

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom