New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Soarin' Over Pgh

Just stopped by to mention... Heard the phrase "Back to the Drawing Board" in a meeting today..

Don't shoot the messenger.

Holy carp. So this is a bigger mess than I thought it was. Do you think this will be shelved altogether or vastly changed?

The problems still revolve around the wireless control systems.. It is indeed all new tech.. not just a new application of off-the-shelf tech... To my knowledge they was never a situation that involved the sinking or loss of a show element below the surface of the water.

Based on the rumblings I've seen/heard in the last week, I'm not optimistic about the opening any time soon... But every day brings new discoveries (and challenges) so, we'll see... I stand by my previous statement of 'Don't book a trip by it'

...Wow. Just, wow. Disney is really striking out right now.

Booooo to an interim show. Gimme all or nothing.

Be careful what you wish for. We may end up with nothing at all. The cost is within Disney's price point as of late...

wdw71fan

Nothing even 'took on' an unexpected amount of water as far as I know.. I'm thinking this rumor is just that, a rumor.

The problem is getting everything 'timed' and coordinated properly so that it looks like one cohesive performance, and not randoms acts of entertainment.

It's truely not 'that' bad, but it's just going to take time to work on and fix... As far as a temp show, it has been discussed at a management level.. The Awaken Summer promotion is the main driver.. Without RoL animal kingdom won't have much to contribute.

hpyhnt 1000

Not sure the other parks really do either, but... Thanks for the info you bring.

Exactly. A new castle stage show for the first time in a decade and a nightly firework show aren't exactly big contributions. At least Epcot has 2 actual refurbished attractions.

(Goodness, this promotion is relying on Epcot's re-themed rides at this point. Godspeed to us all...)

-- Edited based on below. --

Last edited:

wdwfan22

Exactly. A new castle stage show for the first time in a decade and a 4x/week firework show aren't exactly big contributions. At least Epcot has 2 actual refurbished attractions.

(Goodness, this promotion is relying on Epcot's re-themed rides at this point. Godspeed to us all...)

The new Star Wars fireworks at Disney's Hollywood Studios will be presented nightly.

jrhwdw

Nothing even 'took on' an unexpected amount of water as far as I know.. I'm thinking this rumor is just that, a rumor.

The problem is getting everything 'timed' and coordinated properly so that it looks like one cohesive performance, and not randoms acts of entertainment.

It's truely not 'that' bad, but it's just going to take time to work on and fix... As far as a temp show, it has been discussed at a management level.. The Awaken Summer promotion is the main driver.. Without RoL animal kingdom won't have much to contribute.
Anything on the big lotus?

jlsHouston

I just found this thread, thanks to @wdwmagic And I figured out what my friend must have seen on the news this morning and now she's all pumped up about a night safari and seeing the Tree of Life lit up at night and RoL. I saw yesterday there was your post that it is up in the air as far as RoL being ready in June? We are going in June....For me and my grandkids the new stuff will be what has gone up for Star Wars over at HS, and the Frozen ride opening....for my friend she was here in 2013 so 7DMT is new and all this DAK stuff is exciting to her but it doesn't sound like it will all be ready in June?

Seabasealpha1

Exactly. A new castle stage show for the first time in a decade and a nightly firework show aren't exactly big contributions. At least Epcot has 2 actual refurbished attractions.

-- Edited based on below. --
Well...

One refurbishment...and one hijacking...but yeah...I guess so...

yellowrocket

This sounds vaguely like the problems they had with the original Earth globe in "Reflections of Earth". I believe the original globe had higher definition, and was either smaller or larger. When it didn't function correctly during rehearsals before it launched in 1999, they hastily built the globe we have now.

Yes, all new shows have problems. But the Disney of the 1990s either had designs for globe backup (with the technology to power it) or was able to develop/construct a replacement before the first show. The modern Disney has neither of these abilities.

(please ignore the problems 1990s Disney had with Test Track :) )

Seabasealpha1

This sounds vaguely like the problems they had with the original Earth globe in "Reflections of Earth". I believe the original globe had higher definition, and was either smaller or larger. When it didn't function correctly during rehearsals before it launched in 1999, they hastily built the globe we have now.

Yes, all new shows have problems. But the Disney of the 1990s either had designs for globe backup (with the technology to power it) or was able to develop/construct a replacement before the first show. The modern Disney has neither of these abilities.

(please ignore the problems 1990s Disney had with Test Track :) )
I was unaware that happened?

djkidkaz

You can see the floating mountains from the ROL seating area in Asia. It's in the distance but visible.
image.jpeg

Next Big Thing

That's what I was afraid of when "interim show" was floated (no pun intended!) out there.

Once this thing gets sorted out, it'll be fun to hear how such a faulty system got so far along in planning.
I almost wonder if they may have to drain the lake eventually to put the floats on guided rails. From all testing i've seen, they have had huge troubles controlling the floats with the GPS system.

cjkeating

I almost wonder if they may have to drain the lake eventually to put the floats on guided rails. From all testing i've seen, they have had huge troubles controlling the floats with the GPS system.

Could the problem be with the propulsion system? If these were units on land, or even drones in the sky I can't see how there would be a problem to programme their movements, but could the water/currents but knocking them off course and the engines can't suitably compensate for this?

Next Big Thing

Could the problem be with the propulsion system? If these were units on land, or even drones in the sky I can't see how there would be a problem to programme their movements, but could the water/currents but knocking them off course and the engines can't suitably compensate for this?
That's partially what I think it is. As each float moves, it's creating small (or big) ripple effects, which is throwing the floats off track and causing them to bump into each other.

Personally I don't think the system they are trying to use for this type of show is reliable enough to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom