New mission coming to Star Tours - The Adventure Continues

FigmentJedi

Jakku also could have been visited during the correct time period, but it isn't. So much work done on cleaning the slate and getting the story consolidated but none of that matters with the stupid theme park ride.
Except all those broken spaceships crashed on Jakku about a year after Return of the Jedi.

If they wanted to add a world from TFA into Star Tours, they should have picked Takodana and done something like a battle with bounty hunters and space pirates over the lake. Like Maz sends you a warning that everybody's going to be gunning for the bounty that the Empire just put on your Starspeeder.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Except all those broken spaceships crashed on Jakku about a year after Return of the Jedi.

If they wanted to add a world from TFA into Star Tours, they should have picked Takodana and done something like a battle with bounty hunters and space pirates over the lake. Like Maz sends you a warning that everybody's going to be gunning for the bounty that the Empire just put on your Starspeeder.
Time lines a total mess. For me that adds to the fun. It's a cheesy fun mess that also is a fun star wars adventure. It's like Pacific rim, dumb but still very enjoyable and awesome.

yeti

But Maz isn't BB-8 so that could obviously never happen.

lazyboy97o

Except all those broken spaceships crashed on Jakku about a year after Return of the Jedi..
Given the number of battles that have occurred in a small place like Belgium, I don't think the concept of more than one battle taking place at a planet is a huge stretch. Keeping it the timeline, it could have just been an attempt by the then new Empire to take control.

doctornick

I'm with others that the messed up timeline on Star Tours is bothersome. At least they paid some lip service to that with regards to Hoth when 2.0 first opened and tried to explain it away.

If they wanted to add Jakku, that's fine, but just add it during the pre Ep IV timeframe. No reason they should have used Finn. Even doing BB-8 was okay because he could have been around during the proper timeframe (though using Maz would be a better way to incorporate an Ep VII character).

And it's crazy they aren't using anything from Rogue One given that it actually is from the right time period.

WhatJaneSays

It'll come. The creative direction in the current spell should be applauded as they've kept it relatively fresh and varied but a few duds in a row and those figures will start to drop.
The Marvel movies aren't really a standalone phenomena, comic book movies have been out pacing the ROI profitability of almost every other movie genre since 1989. Marvel movies (and now television/streaming) are little danger of dying out, changing in direction or scope perhaps, but they have their method down and have lots of proactive things in the pipes to keep it that way.

But as point to to get this back to Star Wars ... it survived as a brand via secondary merchandise (home release, books, toys) for 15 years in a pre-social media world to drop a movie in 1999 that is still today #8 domestic and #22 worldwide ... I think it bare-out a movie a year in a split saga/standalone model for the foreseeable future.

UpAllNight

The Marvel movies aren't really a standalone phenomena, comic book movies have been out pacing the ROI profitability of almost every other movie genre since 1989. Marvel movies (and now television/streaming) are little danger of dying out, changing in direction or scope perhaps, but they have their method down and have lots of proactive things in the pipes to keep it that way.

But as point to to get this back to Star Wars ... it survived as a brand via secondary merchandise (home release, books, toys) for 15 years in a pre-social media world to drop a movie in 1999 that is still today #8 domestic and #22 worldwide ... I think it bare-out a movie a year in a split saga/standalone model for the foreseeable future.

I Agree....RE Marvel I think demand will die down at some point for a while, and then it'll cycle around again. I just can't see an endless stream of superhero films without the collective thinking at some point "I'm a bit bored now"....they'll rarely flop, but momentum will fall at some point.

I think the Star Wars model of 1 Episode, 1 spin off on a yearly basis will work. The point I was attempting to make was if they force Rogue One down everyone's throats like they did for the last film, it'll quickly lose its 'global event' type feel when there's a new episode (the kind of event that sweeps everyone in not just Star Wars fans) So by focussing less on the spin offs they're hyping the big un.

I say all this, they may just have been waiting until Fantastic Beasts is out and settled then blitz the market....kind of had a free run last winter.

Next Big Thing

I Agree....RE Marvel I think demand will die down at some point for a while, and then it'll cycle around again. I just can't see an endless stream of superhero films without the collective thinking at some point "I'm a bit bored now"....they'll rarely flop, but momentum will fall at some point.
People have been saying that for years now, but yet here we are.

Before 2008, the general public didn't know who Iron Man was and now he's a household name. Guardians of the Galaxy, which even many comic book fans didn't know much about, was incredibly successful with a sequel on the way. They managed to turn ANT-MAN, of all characters, into a profitable movie. Doctor Strange has been much like Iron Man in 2008. Unknown to the general public for the most part and took the best aspects of Inception/Harry Potter/Assassin's Creed to create a dazzling origin movie.

What makes Marvel great is they spend time developing their characters and making the origin films very different from each other. They then masterfully tie all stories together around one general thing in each movie: Infinity Stones... which will all come to a head in Infinity Wars.

What I think Marvel has done most masterfully is be able to make people care about what used to be Secondary characters in many people's minds. Think of the four attractions at IOA for example. When Marvel and Universal worked on this land together, they chose Spider-Man, Hulk, F4 and X-Men as the attractions because at the time, those were the most marketable BRAND characters. While those are GREAT characters, a lot of mishandling of them has caused them to fall into the background more. Spider-Man will finally get his MCU movie next year, but he's been mishandled for a long time. The F4 have been terribly mishandled by Fox and Universal refuses to make a deal for another Hulk solo movie. X-Men has put out consistent work, although i'd say they are edging on over-saturation more than the MCU itself (bc at least MCU makes up different movies... so maybe you have a point with Star Wars).

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think Martin said it would get a new IP once SWL opens.

I meant to continue it with "for a while, at least". But I wasn't sure so I didn't. Thank you for clarifying. My apologies

To clarify, I was told expect it to stay open a good 12-18 months after SWL opens.

And then to close when a replacement overlay is ready.

DinoInstitute

To clarify, I was told expect it to stay open a good 12-18 months after SWL opens.

And then to close when a replacement overlay is ready.
Will the area around it be rethemed at all to make more sense with a full immersive Star Wars Land right near by? Because I feel like what is themed to the set of a SW movie production might feel a bit odd next to it for that time being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom