New Mexican Restaurant Coming to Downtown Disney

disneygirl1024

Not in Downtown Disney area, but Chuy's Tex-Mex is opening a new restaurant around 192 and Blake Lake Road. Scheduled opening date is March 19th. IMHO, Chuy's beats anything that this area has to offer in the way of Tex-Mex.

They just opened one up here in Florence. I have yet to try it. Not really a Tex Mex fan.

71jason

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I wonder how long the Pollo Campero contract was/is for.

Disney Wiki says it opened in Oct. 2010. Even three years seems short for that kind of commercial lease, but I suppose that's possible--or there may have been some sort of "escape clause" (I think we can assume the change from whatever the vegetarian concept was to Bodie's along with the general lack of lines in there indicates the restaurant never lived up to its earning potential).

Did Knee

Could someone sum up for me what is known about why McDonald's left this location in the first place? Not that I'm a big McD' fan, but I'm curious about what we know of the business logic that resulted in the move eventually to Pollo Compero. Thanks!

Mouse Detective

Could someone sum up for me what is known about why McDonald's left this location in the first place? Not that I'm a big McD' fan, but I'm curious about what we know of the business logic that resulted in the move eventually to Pollo Compero. Thanks!

I don't think the public was ever told about what was behind the decision. My guess is that it was not McDonald's idea. And when you walk around DTD nowadays and discover that the main languages being spoken are Spanish & Portuguese, you get the impression that someone up there thought a Latin chicken place was a great idea.

Not in Downtown Disney area, but Chuy's Tex-Mex is opening a new restaurant around 192 and Blake Lake Road.

Will look forward to trying it. Orlando's first Red Robin recently opened close to my house and it's next to impossible to get near the place for dinner. If Chuy's has a similar opening, it may be awhile.

Disneyhead'71

I don't think the public was ever told about what was behind the decision. My guess is that it was not McDonald's idea. And when you walk around DTD nowadays and discover that the main languages being spoken are Spanish & Portuguese, you get the impression that someone up there thought a Latin chicken place was a great idea.

Will look forward to trying it. Orlando's first Red Robin recently opened close to my house and it's next to impossible to get near the place for dinner. If Chuy's has a similar opening, it may be awhile.
You live out near Winter Garden? I ate at the new Red Robin at Winter Garden Village and had a great burger. I love Red Robin. We are over in MetroWest. I am looking forward to iDrive Live to open. They are going to have a Red Robin also.

Tater48

Before we moved over here, they had one open up in Humble, Tx., and it was a couple of months before you could get anywhere near it. Where is the new Red Robin in Orlando?

Mouse Detective

Winter Park Village. And they are opening one in iDrive Orlando when that opens.

Winter Garden Village, not Winter Park Village.
From Disney's north end, you'd proceed north on CR 535 (Winter Garden - Vineland Road) and it's just past the junction with the SR 429 toll road. From Disney's west side, taking the 429 to the 535 exit is quickest.

UofMGuy423

You live out near Winter Garden? I ate at the new Red Robin at Winter Garden Village and had a great burger. I love Red Robin. We are over in MetroWest. I am looking forward to iDrive Live to open. They are going to have a Red Robin also.

That's crazy that there are so few in Orlando. I live outside of Detroit and we have Red Robins all over the place. I have one in my town (Brighton, MI) and there are 2 more in the neighboring city (Novi, MI) 20 min away! Our kids love eating there, so it's a favorite of ours. Just assumed they were all over the place in other states too.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
My guess is the taco testing is/was for the taco truck called "Truckeria" which is owned/operated by Levy Restaurants: http://www.thedailycity.com/2013/03/downtown-disney-food-truck-truckeria.html
I'm not saying your wrong but thought I would point out that Truckeria was at the Festival of the masters in November which predates this rumor from January. They could very well have been using the test kitchen to tweak their existing menu.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/fest...of-the-festival-of-the-masters-2012/17511.htm

Dopey77

Original Poster
Unless Levy Restaurants contracted out Disney to create recipes, these were Disney salaried executive chefs working the test kitchen.. could they have been hired, its possible.. but I have no additional information. My source is very tight lipped and actually knew (admitted after the formal Staggs announcement) of the Disney Springs expansion before it was made public, and never gave me any hints. Always stressing, I'm not an insider just really close with someone in culinary on the top level inside rankings. I did ask if Disney planned on staying in the food service game with the expansion, after hearing Cap'n Jacks was closing. All my source said was it would be in a limited but grand capacity.. so maybe a few offerings but on a grand scale?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom