1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

New Mexican Restaurant Coming to Downtown Disney

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Dopey77, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Dopey77

Dopey77 Member

Disney chefs are currently working in the test kitchens to bring a new Mexican restaurant to downtown Disney. No word on where this new establishment will go, or what the story line is. The culinary sources would not dish any further information, but the chefs working on the menu said it is California Tex-Mex inspired and all the chefs are on the Disney payroll. Possibly, they could be contracted out by a third party to develop a menu based (Think how Imagineering was responsible for the "Encounter Restaurant" at LAX) but no further information was given. Maybe this is in prep for whatever expansion/re-imagining of the Downtown Disney District??
    cba, coachwnh, Cody5242 and 7 others like this.
  2. gsam4ever

gsam4ever Well-Known Member

This could be a good addition to Downtown Disney. And I hope the story line is good food.
    cba, juniorthomas, articos and 2 others like this.
  3. GrumpyFan

GrumpyFan Well-Known Member

4. sshindel

sshindel (veggie x 2) + (fruit x 2) = Life Premium Member

I have a feeling that this plan is going to keep on "evolving" for quite some time now. They just dont seem to be in a rush here. Now, if that means they really are looking wholistically on improving the entire DTD experience, fine, dont rush. If they're still floundering for things to put there, then that is a little bit more of a concern.
    cba, tracyandalex, Beholder and 3 others like this.
  5. pixargal

pixargal Well-Known Member

I am excited about this potential new restaurant. Let's just hope they don't fancy up the menu too much. Mexican food should be more simple, not gourmet. I would like to see them serve tacos al carbon. They used to be my favorite food at Food and Wine festival. Sadly, they no longer serve them.
    tracyandalex and Bparso87 like this.
  6. xdan0920

xdan0920 Gooner Premium Member

Hmm. This would seem to imply that this new Resturant would be Disney owned. That is hard to believe, and flies in the face of everything that has been going on in DTD.
  7. wdwfan4ver

wdwfan4ver Well-Known Member

It would be a great idea for adding a Mexican Restaurant at Downtown Disney because it is common sense for why it should happen. It would be very popular if the food is good and serves what people want.

I am shocked though if Disney would actually go through this because Disney would own the restaurant based on what this implies. Disney doesn't like to own stuff for Downtown Disney for years when it comes to restaurants. When Disney planed Hyperion Wharf, the plan was having businesses outside of Disney own all the building planned for hyperion Wharf.
  8. wdisney9000

wdisney9000 Well-Known Member

Ill have some queso dip please! I hope they dont make the menu all Andrew Zimmerman-ish. Not that i mind the unique menus at some restaurants, it would just be great to have good ol' tex mex (i know zimmerman eats more extreme stuff, thats just what I call it)
    Hulacat likes this.
  9. bhg469

bhg469 Well-Known Member

I'm on the other side. TeX Mex IMO is way better than authentic Mexican. The meeting of flavors is always awesome for me. The dirty mom and pop Mexican places I've been are great for tacos but when I want a real meal I prefer more than just what real Mexican can give.
  10. real mad hatter

real mad hatter Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting..Where did you see this information.? Just curious as usual.:)
    coachwnh likes this.
  11. Bparso87

Bparso87 Well-Known Member

Good by me could never have to much Mexican food
    pixargal and Beholder like this.
  12. Virtual Toad

Virtual Toad Well-Known Member

Would make sense for them to do it themselves since third parties have not shown any interest. They could at least generate revenue using currently empty buildings. But I shudder to speculate which of those empty buildings they might choose.
  13. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Premium Member

California Tex-Mex? I'm seeing Fish Tacos
    scpergj and BeautifulTomorrow like this.
  14. MattC

MattC Well-Known Member

Sweet! I love meat, cheese, and flour tortilla in various combinations.
  15. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Well-Known Member

Wow. What does it say about the further development of the former Pleasure Island when TDO can't find a single Mexican Restaurant with interest in renting out a space!?

If you read between the lines, this should put a nail in the coffin to all of those DTD expansion rumors. Seriously, if they can't find a mexican restaurant to move in (and have more than likely actively pursued them) then I think the chance of them finding enough tenants to double the size of the complex is slim to none.

And wasn't one of the main reasons TDO shuttered PI because they didn't want to handle owning and operating the businesses anymore?

Heck, if TDO is going to open a restaurant, why not an Adventurer's Club restaurant?
  16. donaldtoo

donaldtoo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be on the top of our "must-do" list since we've got Tex-Mex joints out the wazoo down around these parts, but we'd definitely wanna' wander in at least once and give 'er a go 'cause we do LOVE us some Tex-Mex! :)
  17. Dopey77

Dopey77 Member

Not saying that I'm an insider, but I have connections to high ranking executive types in the culinary/food service branch of TDO. The test kitchens are located at the Port Orleans French Quarter, in the old Bonfamille's Cafe.. that's where all this work has been taking place for about a week now. I agree that Disney isn't a fan of owning eateries or dining establishments, it only owns Cap'n Jacks as a sit down location.

Everything with Downtown Disney has been very tight lipped, with only rumors leaking out. This isn't a rumor, they are absolutely working on recipes for a Mexican restaurant. If this comes to fruition, I don't know.. Is it just a concept, could be.. is it for a 3rd party like in California at Downtown Disney with Tortilla Jo's, but using Disney chefs to create dishes that would have a better range among guests since in-house culinary knows the majority of what guests like?? Maybe.. but I figured I'd share this so maybe some of the real insiders could chime in.
  18. real mad hatter

real mad hatter Well-Known Member

. Cheers!
    coachwnh and Dopey77 like this.
  19. JimboJones123

JimboJones123 Well-Known Member

1. Chips must not suck.
    2. Salsa must not suck.

Let's just start there.
    Diablo, cba, tracyandalex and 13 others like this.
  20. zulemara

zulemara Active Member

The rumor mill has been way too quiet on DTD lately. I had a feeling something would perk up.

That said, I'm underwhelmed. HOW underwhelmed I am will be dependent on the location within DTD.