Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Fido Chuckwagon

Which may backfire (and by “may”…I mean a 100% chance)

Then it will be in the open and everyone will get a doctor who doesn’t care at all to write notes.

It would be a disaster
True story, I have a dermatologist I use who I was talking to about a Disney trip. He volunteered out of nowhere that he could get write me a note that I had some sort of skin condition that prevented me from standing in the sun if I wanted. I politely declined.

Tha Realest

True story, I have a dermatologist I use who I was talking to about a Disney trip. He volunteered out of nowhere that he could get write me a note that I had some sort of skin condition that prevented me from standing in the sun if I wanted. I politely declined.
Just a few hours ago @Trauma posed this series of questions:

A person with a severe disability goes to their primary care doctor and provides the information about what accommodations Disney is providing.

Primary care doctor, being intimately familiar with the disabled persons needs, determines those accommodations would not be sufficient for them to partake in the parks.

What Disney has decided, is irregardless of that fact, the guest will only receive what accommodations are available for their “group” of disability.

Just to be clear this is what you’re in favor of ?

Yes, for the example @Fido Chuckwagon brings up

Fido Chuckwagon

The 6 flags case isn't arguing about proof itself. Summary from disability scoop:

"The complaint indicates that I.L. applied for and received an Individual Accessibility Card from IBCCES, but that on multiple visits to Six Flags Magic Mountain employees declined him accommodations because they said he didn’t look like he should qualify for the Attraction Access Program. In one instance, the lawsuit states that a park employee ripped up the Individual Accessibility Card and told I.L. that “he did ‘not look disabled enough’ to have the listed accommodations.”

So, as I said the facts of the six flags case are pretty egregrious. However, the proof requirement is absolutely one of the things they raise. This could, of course, end up being a case where "bad facts make bad law," because, again, those facts are so egregious.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You and others keep talking about “what’s required” so why not point us to these requirements?

If you read you will see where Disney has decided that 4 is a number that can be relied on as a maximum.

Chi84

Premium Member
You and others keep talking about “what’s required” so why not point us to these requirements?
The requirements I’m aware of are in the DOJ regulations, and they’re pretty extensive. As far as I know there isn’t any mention of the type of accommodation Disney is giving. I think what people are saying is that until there is something to the contrary, Disney is going above what is required.

Jrb1979

Take a look at what most other parks offer. That's most likely the extent of what's required. Most parks offer a boarding pass with 3 people can join the person who has the disability. They go up to the exit of the attraction, get a return time to board and are not allowed to ride anything til that time is up.

lazyboy97o

If I did, I apologize. But there's nothing in the ADA that expressly addresses accommodations that allow disabled persons to avoid waiting in lines. And people stand in line in a lot of places other than Disney, like festivals, ballparks, concerts, etc.

If no DOJ guidelines are forthcoming, the only way this accommodation gets addressed is through the courts. I'm just now familiarizing myself with the ADA, but I know very well how courts work. I can't think of a more time-consuming, inefficient and altogether less desirable way of coming up with a system than through a series of court cases.
That was my point. A number of people keep referring to things like “the guidelines” and “the requirements” as though there are specific rules already spelled out. They don’t exist. So one cannot claim that Disney is following specific regulations that don’t exist. Even the design standards, which are very specific and prescriptive, don’t cover a lot of scenarios.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In your scenario are you suggesting that when a cast member as a guest approaches guest relations or calls to set up DAS that the agent responding should contact their area of work and ask their leaders about their bathroom habits?

“Sorry lady, your manager says you don’t poop enough at work to qualify”

They wouldn't have to. A simple workflow could be as follows...

User registers for DAS with a developmental disability that has been concluded prevents them from waiting in a queue. Their name and details go into the computer. System can identify they are an employee and they get flagged.

Later, a second system reviews all employees who qualified for DAS and compares their work history and accommodations. If by some pre-determined rules of intersection of key data points happen, you boil the record up for manual evaluation. Someone in HR can review by inspecting the person's responsibilities, documented accommodations or reported limitations, and comparing with the DAS request.

Disney's purpose isn't to deny them the DAS when they apply - you don't want to deny people something they may need. Instead you post-analyze the data to look for irregularities, screen, and bubble up ones that methodically that seem suspicious. Then you assess, and either dismiss the alert, or take some other action of your choosing.

Point is, you make it an employee issue - not a denying accommodations issue. If someone ultimately is lying to get DAS, they put their park privileges and employer/employee relationship at risk... you don't try to screen them out of getting a DAS. You leave the rope...

lazyboy97o

Take a look at what most other parks offer. That's most likely the extent of what's required. Most parks offer a boarding pass with 3 people can join the person who has the disability. They go up to the exit of the attraction, get a return time to board and are not allowed to ride anything til that time is up.
How do you think DAS is materially different?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The facts of the case where it is being challenged are actually pretty egregious (on the part of the theme park operator), having not a whole lot to do with the verification piece of it.

They make claims about both the registration process... and the fact that even with his pass, that six flag employees denied him accommodations. So both areas are being challenged.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't think of a more time-consuming, inefficient and altogether less desirable way of coming up with a system than through a series of court cases

Well, that's how we get from a law passed over 30years ago to today where the standard of the law is still unknown and unproven in the most popular theme park in the world :)

It's kinda the theme tho of laws that are made with the idea of 'rights' instead of laws written to define certain processes, specific powers, or to outlaw specific acts.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
They wouldn't have to. A simple workflow could be as follows...

User registers for DAS with a developmental disability that has been concluded prevents them from waiting in a queue. Their name and details go into the computer. System can identify they are an employee and they get flagged.

Later, a second system reviews all employees who qualified for DAS and compares their work history and accommodations. If by some pre-determined rules of intersection of key data points happen, you boil the record up for manual evaluation. Someone in HR can review by inspecting the person's responsibilities, documented accommodations or reported limitations, and comparing with the DAS request.

Disney's purpose isn't to deny them the DAS when they apply - you don't want to deny people something they may need. Instead you post-analyze the data to look for irregularities, screen, and bubble up ones that methodically that seem suspicious. Then you assess, and either dismiss the alert, or take some other action of your choosing.

Point is, you make it an employee issue - not a denying accommodations issue. If someone ultimately is lying to get DAS, they put their park privileges and employer/employee relationship at risk... you don't try to screen them out of getting a DAS. You leave the r

Like Walmart letting people steal and steal and steal until it adds up to felony charges

flynnibus

Premium Member
Take a look at what most other parks offer. That's most likely the extent of what's required.

Convention does not make law. That's like saying "everyone else is doing 75 on the highway, so that is what is allowed"

Everyone can do whatever they want in terms of Accessibility accommodations - the only consequence is when someone goes through the hassle of suing them. Beyond physical accessibility requirements that have been incorporated into building codes and local code enforcement... its down to civil challenges to enforce anything ADA.

So until there is a judgement, companies can do whatever... they just don't operate that way because they would prefer to avoid suits :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom