Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

mergatroid

Probably been discussed already but would this idea work for groups. Say there's a party of 3 or more and 1 of them can't wait in line. Send 1 of the group into the standby line and the other 2 go and sit in a 'waiting area' nearby. When the person in line gets to the vehicle dispatch area the CM contacts a CM in the 'waiting area' and sends the other 2 through the exit or similar to dispatch.

I've no idea of the staffing or physical logistics of this on which attractions, however it would mean the same waiting time for DAS users (ok perhaps 2 mins longer to get to dispatch but that should be acceptable) as it would the able bodied guests in standby? The person or persons of the group in standby shouldn't have any real complaints as they're being treated like everyone else and the DAS person gets to wait without queuing with another party member.

The main issue would be should you let the DAS party go on other attractions if the standby queue is for long enough. In theory you could say yes but perhaps on the understanding there's a cut-off point. So if the standby family members get to dispatch and the DAS members haven't returned, there's a 20 minute limit before the none DAS members are told that they'll have to ride as the DAS members have now missed the opportunity. Alternatively as there may be numerous reasons the DAS members haven't returned, you could make the none DAS wait till the DAS return however long that takes. That should eliminate any 'gaming the system' as the none DAS members wouldn't be happy if their other group DAS members go swanning around for a few hours leaving them in limbo?

This isn't a desire to stop DAS being used or make them wait for no reason, just a thought to satisfy as many as possible and offer an equal service.

Tha Realest

Well that tells you all you need to know about the Walt Disney Company.

Hopefully when they are challenged and lose in court, we can get some laws that help better protect disabled people.
You should familiarize yourself with what companies are required to provide for accommodations. Even under these new plans, Disney is likely being more generous than just what’s required.

If your standard prevails, then you can just see the TikToks about how to save hundreds of dollars for your next Disney vacation and get a VIP-experience.

Trauma

You should familiarize yourself with what companies are required to provide for accommodations. Even under these new plans, Disney is likely being more generous than just what’s required.

If your standard prevails, then you can just see the TikToks about how to save hundreds of dollars for your next Disney vacation and get a VIP-experience.
Your conveniently ignoring the fact that Universal has a system that accommodates all disabilities and is not being abused.

Tha Realest

You’re conveniently ignoring the fact that Universal has a system that accommodates all disabilities and is not being abused.
This is a Disney board, I don’t know about Universal (first time it’s been brought up to me?), it’s silly to presume their system is free of abuse, and the general view is their ride designs and queues are decidedly unforgiving to those with disabilities (or even the obese).

Trauma

This is a Disney board, I don’t know about Universal (first time it’s been brought up to me?), it’s silly to presume their system is free of abuse, and the general view is their ride designs and queues are decidedly unforgiving to those with disabilities (or even the obese).
Universal’s system requires providing documentation that is assessed by a 3rd party for approval.

In order to abuse the system would require a lot of work on a guests end, finding crooked doctors to fabricate a disability.

If someone is that crooked they will have no problem lying to get DAS from Disney.

Therefore Universal’s is BOTH more inclusive for disabled people and FAR LESS likely to be abused.

Since your concern is not waiting in line, you should be upset that Disney chose a system that still encourages abuse.

mergatroid

Are you suggesting Disney doesn’t have a history of providing accommodations?

Is this the 4th dimension?
Remember last year when I told you I needed a doctors letter to avoid the metal detectors as Disneyland Paris because they'd told me in advance that my card that gets me through airport security wasn't enough for them? I think your response was something akin to "Remember what they say, never trust the French" :D

Well I got the letter from my neurologist (no easy feat) and turned up at Disneyland security check with it. Not only did they not want to see it, but they sent me through the CM entrance next to the guest entrance with no physical search, pat down or questions of what I had on me. The same thing happened on three separate occasions.

We're back to Orlando this September and got an email from Disney World today explaining that I don't need any documentation there unless I want to voluntarily show it and to just head to the disabled/pushchair signs at security and explain the circumstances where they can wand the safe bits of me ;)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think the current leadership is overly concerned with impact to any product being provided as much as they're concerned about profit loss.

This new DAS system will take effect and there will most likely not be any significant decrease in LL wait times. Increase in LL profits? Yes. And that's totally fine. Disney is after all a business. But they've painted themselves into a corner in regards to wait times and guest satisfaction and they'll keep squeezing blood from a stone and find another aspect to point the finger at (and then monetize) instead of taking real action to improve the impact of product being provided.

Please know I was just replying to the concept of that one part of your post, not arguing against you in any way.

And I took it as such without any offense. I just cant comment on this topic :(

Last edited:

Splash4eva

What you are referring to here is essentially the opposite of what’s going on.
Im speaking directly about CM abuse which has been claimed by multiple accounts on this forum… so all i am saying is if a CM of Disney is abusing and lying about a Need for DAS Disney should easily be able to prove that…

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Universal’s system requires providing documentation that is assessed by a 3rd party for approval.

In order to abuse the system would require a lot of work on a guests end, finding crooked doctors to fabricate a disability.

If someone is that crooked they will have no problem lying to get DAS from Disney.

Therefore Universal’s is BOTH more inclusive for disabled people and FAR LESS likely to be abused.

Since your concern is not waiting in line, you should be upset that Disney chose a system that still encourages abuse.

@EPCOT-O.G. raised a good point. Universal is not going to be apples to apples. You can’t really call them more inclusive because their rides are designed for able bodied guests, while there are tons of rides at Disney that are accessible to a wider variety of people with disabilities.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That is allegedly why they are making changes. Word is out.
What does history have to do with their current policy?
Honeslty…because you are not being rational about it. This is obviously the first of several steps to come. They are not going to have an “autism only” disability policy. There is more to come.

Is this about access…or fondness for an access policy’s that assumes honesty and doesn’t have people using it for “preference” based on the past and not needs that stand up to scrutiny?

Two very different things.

Tha Realest

I never said my "concern is not waiting in line." There's just a lot of misplaced assumptions as to what Disney can/should/is required to do, and I'm merely chiming in to address the most obvious misassumptions. I'm generally ambivalent about this except for Disney's need to pare back obvious abusers (either those faking diagnoses or monetizing their accommodation) and bringing more equilibrium back to the guest experience.

It's debatable whether Disney can even request or require certain documentation. That's an issue with the Six Flags challenge. They probably can, and if they can defend that - all for it.

It does seem the required video telehealth conference with the guests seeking accommodations for developmental disability is a way to sniff our falsely claimed diagnoses.

Tha Realest

That is allegedly why they are making changes. Word is out.

Honeslty…because you are not being rational about it. This is obviously the first of several steps to come. They are not going to have an “autism only” disability policy. There is more to come.

Is this about access…or fondness for an access policy’s that assumes honesty and doesn’t have people using it for “preference” based on the past and not needs that stand up to scrutiny?

Two very different things.
You can hear it now. "Hey guys...want to know how to experience Disney World as a VIP for free? First, contact your doctor or school nurse..."

Tha Realest

@EPCOT-O.G. raised a good point. Universal is not going to be apples to apples. You can’t really call them more inclusive because their rides are designed for able bodied guests, while there are tons of rides at Disney that are accessible to a wider variety of people with disabilities.
Yeah, this is the first time I've heard Universal is a favorable place with disabilities, given the comparative lack of ADA accessibility, the rides that are uncomfortable to larger body types, and their more rigorous disability verification policy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can hear it now. "Hey guys...want to know how to experience Disney World as a VIP for free? First, contact your doctor or school nurse..."
That’s already happening

My SIL last year went in June and one of her co-workers told her…”just say you have ADHD…they don’t check. It’s great”

Now to her credit…she didn’t

But if that’s being distributed in teachers lounges in New Jersey?

Then there are more cases than coronavirus

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom