Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

peter11435

And i can tell you from 1st hand experience at both my last employers it was…. We can agree to disagree here. Definitely not something i truly care to debate nor argue about.
But your argument regarding your first hand experience is the opposite of what is going on here. If you tell your employer you can’t perform a job function because of a disability and then they discover you don’t have that disability that is an entirely different scenario.

Just because someone is able to perform the functions of their job at WDW does not mean they don’t have a disability and it does not mean they shouldn’t have DAS. Even if Disney as their employer was otherwise unaware of that disability.

Tha Realest

That’s already happening

My SIL last year went in June and one of her co-workers told her…”just say you ADHD…they don’t check. It’s great”

Now to her credit…she didn’t

But if that’s being distributed in teachers lounges in New Jersey?

Then there are more cases than coronavirus
Oh I know that’s going on now. I meant if the new standard was just “get a doctor’s note”

Splash4eva

But your argument regarding your first hand experience is the opposite of what is going on here. If you tell your employer you can’t perform a job function because of a disability and then they discover you don’t have that disability that is an entirely different scenario.

Just because someone is able to perform the functions of their job at WDW does not mean they don’t have a disability and it does not mean they shouldn’t have DAS. Even if Disney as their employer was otherwise unaware of that disability.
Okay can i ask you this simple question and im gonna end it here…

If someone claims they have IBS and cant wait in lines bc of it. They get approved for DAS
Now that same CM who works 8-10 hour shifts never uses the bathroom or has to leave his post no matter what job they have. Pretty safe to say they are lying correct?

Tha Realest

If someone claims they have IBS and cant wait in lines bc of it. They get approved for DAS
Now that same CM who works 8-10 hour shifts never uses the bathroom or has to leave his post no matter what job they have. Pretty safe to say they are lying correct?
This is a weird hypothetical. You're describing a person at very odd extremes. It would be just as atypical for someone to have uncontrollable IBS as it is for someone to not use the bathroom at all over an 8 hour shift

Splash4eva

Universal’s system requires providing documentation that is assessed by a 3rd party for approval.

In order to abuse the system would require a lot of work on a guests end, finding crooked doctors to fabricate a disability.

If someone is that crooked they will have no problem lying to get DAS from Disney.

Therefore Universal’s is BOTH more inclusive for disabled people and FAR LESS likely to be abused.

Since your concern is not waiting in line, you should be upset that Disney chose a system that still encourages abuse.
Bingo. Exactly wby its baffling anyone would argue against proof

peter11435

Do you think someone at Disney is documenting every time every cast members uses the bathroom? I’ll give you a hint… they don’t.

In your scenario are you suggesting that when a cast member as a guest approaches guest relations or calls to set up DAS that the agent responding should contact their area of work and ask their leaders about their bathroom habits?

“Sorry lady, your manager says you don’t poop enough at work to qualify”

Smiley/OCD

A few well-respected and connected posters have hinted that Disney has a very clear idea - probably more detailed and specific than we think - about the whos, whats, and wheres of current DAS abuse.

I get the feeling the company is being intentionally vague in its language, but behind the curtain they're putting tripwires in place to target some very specific things. And, I would guess those are things virtually all of us would agree should be targeted and eliminated.
That plus exactly how SSA sends investigators out to snap pictures of allegedly disabled people shoveling snow, cleaning gutters, etc.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think you missed his point
If I did, I apologize. But there's nothing in the ADA that expressly addresses accommodations that allow disabled persons to avoid waiting in lines. And people stand in line in a lot of places other than Disney, like festivals, ballparks, concerts, etc.

If no DOJ guidelines are forthcoming, the only way this accommodation gets addressed is through the courts. I'm just now familiarizing myself with the ADA, but I know very well how courts work. I can't think of a more time-consuming, inefficient and altogether less desirable way of coming up with a system than through a series of court cases.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@EPCOT-O.G. raised a good point. Universal is not going to be apples to apples. You can’t really call them more inclusive because their rides are designed for able bodied guests, while there are tons of rides at Disney that are accessible to a wider variety of people with disabilities.
That is true…

But if you look at it…a lot of wdw rides have about a 5’8” comfort limit…especially in magic kingdom

Angel Ariel

It’s only a few months old and it’s being challenged legally (albeit the same system being used by a different company)
It's not being challenged at universal. It's being challenged at six flags, where it's been in use since 2020. IBCCES' accessibility card itself isn't just a few months old.

Angel Ariel

Bingo. Exactly wby its baffling anyone would argue against proof
The 6 flags case isn't arguing about proof itself. Summary from disability scoop:

"The complaint indicates that I.L. applied for and received an Individual Accessibility Card from IBCCES, but that on multiple visits to Six Flags Magic Mountain employees declined him accommodations because they said he didn’t look like he should qualify for the Attraction Access Program. In one instance, the lawsuit states that a park employee ripped up the Individual Accessibility Card and told I.L. that “he did ‘not look disabled enough’ to have the listed accommodations.”

Splash4eva

The 6 flags case isn't arguing about proof itself. Summary from disability scoop:

"The complaint indicates that I.L. applied for and received an Individual Accessibility Card from IBCCES, but that on multiple visits to Six Flags Magic Mountain employees declined him accommodations because they said he didn’t look like he should qualify for the Attraction Access Program. In one instance, the lawsuit states that a park employee ripped up the Individual Accessibility Card and told I.L. that “he did ‘not look disabled enough’ to have the listed accommodations.”

I have not followed the law suit but if this is the only reason for the law suit then the decision should have no impact on Disneys decision imo. I cant picture Disney EVER denying someone who has been approved by a 3rd party saying hey sorry you dont look disabled enough go wait in that 120 minute line.

The Mom

Premium Member

Then that's an employee education problem - the park didn't deny issuing the card, individual employees took it upon themselves to ignore the card. But it still comes down to the park for not making it clear that employees could not make decisions about whether a guest had a legitimate reason as long as they had a valid card.

Angel Ariel

Then that's an employee education problem - the park didn't deny issuing the card, individual employees took it upon themselves to ignore the card. But it still comes down to the park for not making it clear that employees could not make decisions about whether a guest had a legitimate reason as long as they had a valid card.
I don't know all the facts of the case, but it's possible it was one of the "audits" 6 flags refers to in its accessibility page:
"Guests with cognitive disorders, disabilities or mobility impairments who request helpful accommodations must obtain the IBCCES Individual Accessibility Card (IAC) by registering at www.accessibilitycard.org. Once a Guest has filled out the online application and uploaded necessary documentation, they will be able to access their digital Accessibility Card. Guests will present the IBCCES Accessibility Card and Information Sheet to the Ride Information Center, located on the left side, outside the main entrance gate, to receive any necessary accommodations.

Note: Only IBCCES can issue the IBCCES Accessibility Card, and not Six Flags.

PLEASE NOTE: The IBCCES will conduct audits to confirm the efficacy of provided information for an Individual Accessibility Card application. Individuals found to be fraudulently requesting or using the Attraction Accessibility Pass will be in violation of our Guest Code of Conduct and may be subject to civil penalties. Violators will also be asked to leave the park without any refund."

The only way for the final bolded section to happen would be in coordination with 6 Flags' Guest Relations. And the first bolded section makes it clear it is a 2 step program - get the IBCCES card, then go to 6 flags' guest relations to get their attraction access pass (which is the same process at Universal as well).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom