Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Touchdown

The difference, again, is that there are many attractions with no height requirements that such a family would be able to ride together throughout the day and throughout their trip.

For a family with a disabled child using this because their child is unable to wait in the physical queue, this will be for all rides save the select few in a day that have a very short wait. That is a fundamentally different experience than the family you're referring to.
There also plenty of rides that have <15 min waits throughout the day and will not need rider swap

Touchdown

Again this is a child that doesn't ride the ride. We already do this when the DAS individual doesn't ride. Let's see how this plays out, then we can come back to it and figure out what is wrong. I really don't think Disney would exempt someone physically able to ride a ride from riding.
The younger child doesn’t usually want to wait while the other sibling rides and instead the family breaks into two groups and ride different attractions at the same time.

BalooChicago

Again not ideal, but if you have ever gone with a child less then 42” and a child taller then 42” is an extremely common predicament to find yourself in a theme park. If it’s an acceptable way to do a theme park for the general population to do the park it is a reasonable accommodation under the ADA. I’m not going to argue this is not as ideal as DAS was, it’s not, but it’s a reasonable accommodation to have.

My son’s first trip was at 18 months. That he was under 42” tall was a temporary situation. While your son/daughter will (likely) some day be taller than 42” my son will have his disability for his entire life. Also, DAS was not only used on rides with height restrictions.

Section106

While you'll likely qualify, rider switch doesn't make you ride solo. You can still bring someone.
I don't think I know what rider switch is then. Someone waits with the person that isn't riding. Then the one that waited rides by entering the LL queue. It requires someone not riding in your party.

Are you proposing that I ride with my daughter while my wife waits outside and then I ride with her after my initial turn? Wouldn't that cause more of a wait for others? That's two people in standby and then two people in the LL queue when the three of us could have just gone through once on DAS. And what about my daughter? Who watches her while I ride again? She could ride but that is three people in the queue for a total of five added folks in the line, four of them riders, while DAS would have yielded just three riders.

But then someone would have physically waited in the line which is really all you want.

edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

There also plenty of rides that have <15 min waits throughout the day and will not need rider swap
Ok. That's only been our experience if we can make it to rope drop, esp at WDW (and esp DHS, AK, Epcot). And making it to rope drop is not a given for families with disabilities, even when planned to do so.

BalooChicago

I don't think you know what rider switch is. Someone waits with the person that isn't riding. Then the one that waited rides by entering the LL queue. It requires someone not riding in your party.

I’ll go back to my earlier question; we do t know what “return to queue” encompasses yet - right? (Assuming it’s not the same as RS) I’m hopeful I’ll go “oh, that makes sense” but not expecting it. It does seem odd that Disney has announced this change without all the details. If nothing else it would remove some uncertainty.

Touchdown

MK: Tiki Room, CBJ, Train, Philharmagic, MILF, Peoplemover (ok that last one is 20 min usually) do most of the day
Epcot: LwtL, Nemo, Imagination, GFT, AA, the WS films, Amazing Planet, Pixar Film Festival
AK: Ittbab, Lion King, Nemo
DHS: It’s just the shows

You might go some of these are shows, and they are, but other then AA lion king and Nemo they last less then 15 min, and WDW has attractions that last 15 min too.

Angel Ariel

I would love to see the data on this.

In your opinion can you list the rides that are less than 15 minutes throughout the day please.

I looked at the wait times now. There are some (most in MK). Something else that has to be kept in mind is families with disabilities aren't likely to be criss crossing the park at will. So yeah, I might see that spaceship earth has a 15 min wait right now, but if we're already up at figment we aren't doubling back to come to spaceship earth. It's too much of a strain on everyone to criss-cross and is more likely to cause DD to fatigue out early. My neurotypical nephews don't have that issue, they'd happily run wherever.

lazyboy97o

Again not ideal, but if you have ever gone with a child less then 42” and a child taller then 42” is an extremely common predicament to find yourself in a theme park. If it’s an acceptable way to do a theme park for the general population to do the park it is a reasonable accommodation under the ADA. I’m not going to argue this is not as ideal as DAS was, it’s not, but it’s a reasonable accommodation to have.
Splitting up is not the default experience. It is an option, not the standard. Making it the standard for those with disabilities is not an equivalent experience. It’s also just callous.

Section106

I’ll go back to my earlier question; we do t know what “return to queue” encompasses yet - right? (Assuming it’s not the same as RS) I’m hopeful I’ll go “oh, that makes sense” but not expecting it. It does seem odd that Disney has announced this change without all the details. If nothing else it would remove some uncertainty.

The lack of clear language is what has really made me angry. We need to know what to expect so I can mitigate any problems that will arise.

Jrb1979

Splitting up is not the default experience. It is an option, not the standard. Making it the standard for those with disabilities is not an equivalent experience. It’s also just callous.
What should they do? Keep the system as is and let it continue to overwhelm the system.

Happyday

The younger child doesn’t usually want to wait while the other sibling rides and instead the family breaks into two groups and ride different attractions at the same time.
Then why go if you can't ride anything? This doesn't apply when someone is physically able to ride but just can't wait they are still human beings with wants and needs. Small children will be able to ride in later years.

Disstevefan1

I looked at the wait times now. There are some (most in MK). Something else that has to be kept in mind is families with disabilities aren't likely to be criss crossing the park at will. So yeah, I might see that spaceship earth has a 15 min wait right now, but if we're already up at figment we aren't doubling back to come to spaceship earth. It's too much of a strain on everyone to criss-cross and is more likely to cause DD to fatigue out early. My neurotypical nephews don't have that issue, they'd happily run wherever.
I totally agree, the criss cross that happens when you see a low wait time and want to get to that attraction is exhausting. To be honest, I really would not trust the app, if I happen to be walking past an attraction that had a low standby posted AND it looked like the queue was short, we would jump in.

The same criss cross that was caused by the free Fastpass+ and still exists with the paid Genie+ is annoying. The good thing about the free system is you could just skip your free reservation if you didn’t want to travel across the park, when you pay, you really don’t want to waste it.

Jcf8037

The difference, again, is that there are many attractions with no height requirements that such a family would be able to ride together throughout the day and throughout their trip.

For a family with a disabled child using this because their child is unable to wait in the physical queue, this will be for all rides save the select few in a day that have a very short wait. That is a fundamentally different experience than the family you're referring to.
I have appreciated your input into this conversation, but I think when those (like me) supporting the changes make a point, some (like you) who have been using DAS compare it to your own needs and respond as such. That’s totally understandable to me, but I think there’s a disconnect. I can’t speak for others, but as for me, I’m seeing it from a. Macro level while those who are upset with the changes are looking at it from a personal and very micro level. I don’t pretend to know your (or anyone’s) personal situation but you’ve shared a lot and I would be stunned if you, or the gentleman with the wife who is a disabled veteran, weren’t able to continue enjoying the parks in the same way (meaning you will still qualify for DAS in the future). You are parties of 2 or 3 where other accommodations are not in the realm of possibilities. There will always be those families where there is no other option, and historically, Disney has catered to them with grace and empathy.

These new rules are presented as the hardline, textbook requirements, in my opinion. Their presentation appears to be designed to immediately cull the families who are outright cheating or taking advantage. Disney doesn’t intend to force the families, like yours, into an experience that is inferior to any guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom