New characters coming

asianway

That's why I specifically listed Guardians and Ant Man.

You wouldn't want to have a specific Marvel area (since the Avengers are tied to the Uni contract), but the character that aren't tied into that deal would work perfectly if they were mixed with other Disney "Heroes."

As for Star Wars, until the big SW expansion is done, I see a need for keeping most of the characters for Star Wars Weekends. But, having a couple of characters (like your idea of the Rebels characters) as part of this "Heroes" meet and greet area would fit perfectly.
Ant-man is covered under the uni contract

RSoxNo1

Ant-man is covered under the uni contract
I was under the impression that Ant-man was not included in the Universal contract. I thought I heard that the development of this movie (which has been quite a while) was partially in hopes of developing a product that exists outside of what Universal owns the theme park rights to.

doctornick

I was under the impression that Ant-man was not included in the Universal contract. I thought I heard that the development of this movie (which has been quite a while) was partially in hopes of developing a product that exists outside of what Universal owns the theme park rights to.

Don't really see how that could be the case since Ant Man is clearly an Avenger (founding member!) in the comics, so would be considered in the same "family" as Hulk and Captain America who are used at Uni.

Ignohippo

Don't really see how that could be the case since Ant Man is clearly an Avenger (founding member!) in the comics, so would be considered in the same "family" as Hulk and Captain America who are used at Uni.

Thanks for the info. I'm obviously not at all up on my Marvel knowledge. If he has ever been considered an "Avenger" he would be part of Uni's stable and the Disney Parks would not be able to use him (of course, the ironic thing is, Uni can't either).

Still, the Guardians could be used without a problem.

dstrawn9889

only if Disney dropped the name of the business unit associated with it... it could be named the Guardians of the Galaxy, instead of how the name them now --- Marvels' Guardians of the Galaxy.

doctornick

only if Disney dropped the name of the business unit associated with it... it could be named the Guardians of the Galaxy, instead of how the name them now --- Marvels' Guardians of the Galaxy.

True. Which is something they have already done when having the extended screening of the movie at DHS and when they had the dance party with Star Lord and Gamora during the Villains event.

Matt_Black

Thanks for the info. I'm obviously not at all up on my Marvel knowledge. If he has ever been considered an "Avenger" he would be part of Uni's stable and the Disney Parks would not be able to use him (of course, the ironic thing is, Uni can't either).

What's this "If" business? He HAS been an Avenger, not even considered. Both Ant-Men, in fact, Pym and Lang. Pym was on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.

Ignohippo

What's this "If" business? He HAS been an Avenger, not even considered. Both Ant-Men, in fact, Pym and Lang. Pym was on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.

Wow. Relax. Jeezus. Panties in a bunch for absolutely no reason maybe?

Just saying that "if" the character (whatever character that may be) was ever an Avenger, Disney can't use the character east of the Mississippi.

Ignohippo

Whether Marvel is in the name or not makes absolutely no difference. It's only depends on whether they were ever part of the Avengers family.

Ignohippo

I believe Marvel name can't be used in any way period

I may be wrong, but I've never seen that in the contract. As I remember it, it only pertains to the Avengers – has nothing to do with the Marvel name. It's been more than a year since I read the contract though.

asianway

I may be wrong, but I've never seen that in the contract. As I remember it, it only pertains to the Avengers – has nothing to do with the Marvel name. It's been more than a year since I read the contract though.
Section 10 Roman numeral iii which looks like it affects DL too

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

I follow Kenny the pirate on FB and asked if he knew anything about Callie, Miles or Olaf coming, he said this was a rumor and noone had info stating otherwise at the moment.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, they had bilboards with Marvel's name at Hollywood Studios, and also on the backlot tours trams.

Here is the section of the contract about this...

"East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing. "

So the way I read this, is if Disney decided to build a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction, they could not market it as "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy".

Ignohippo

Here is the section of the contract about this...

"East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing. "

So the way I read this, is if Disney decided to build a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction, they could not market it as "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy".

Read it again. That's for a "licensee." Disney/Marvel is the "licensor."

The way I read it, it's actually Universal that cannot use the name as part of the attraction name or in marketing. They have licensed the specific characters, but not the Marvel name.

...which is really bizarre since it's "MARVEL Superhero Island."

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Read it again. That's for a "licensee." Disney/Marvel is the "licensor."

The way I read it, it's actually Universal that cannot use the name as part of the attraction name or in marketing. They have licensed the specific characters, but not the Marvel name.

...which is really bizarre since it's "MARVEL Superhero Island."

If Disney were to put Marvel characters in their parks then they would be both the licensor and licensee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom