New Anna/Elsa standby procedure?

Herah

This is triggered by standby wait time going over 30 minutes? What happens if it dips below 30 again? (If lots of people don't return for their slot, or if not all tickets are handed out.) I guess it's not likely for A&E, but for the hypothetical other rides, it could.

BrightImagine

We were at the Magic Kingdom yesterday. Walking by the Fairytale Hall in the middle of the day we noticed that the wait time was down to "only" 80 or 90 minutes. My child also noticed that the sign at the beginning of the queue, which at one point read "Anna & Elsa" and "Princess" (or sometimes Aurora), and then more recently had "Anna" and "Elsa" as different signs, was back to saying "Anna & Elsa" and "Princess." Point being (sorry for all these quotation marks)... I wonder if they went back to three characters on that side of the queue, and then started handing out these paper tickets? Is the point of this to reunite the Anna & Elsa characters? Because the wait time yesterday seemed relatively reasonable... same as the one for Mine Train.

cw1982

This is triggered by standby wait time going over 30 minutes? What happens if it dips below 30 again? (If lots of people don't return for their slot, or if not all tickets are handed out.) I guess it's not likely for A&E, but for the hypothetical other rides, it could.

I don't think it was triggered by wait times going over 30 minutes, as there are other rides that typically have wait times of more than 30 minutes for a good portion of the day.

As I see it, what it boils down to is that this is providing TDO with a way to save money in the following ways:

-not paying for more Annas and Elsas
-not having to pay for CM's to stay past park closing because people get in line with one minute left of park hours in hopes of having a shorter wait (after all, this works on some rides, so people assume it works here as well)
-if all goes well with this, they can save hourly wages for CM's at other high-demand attractions (probably mainly 7DMT at the Magic Kingdom... I have no idea how backed up the lines are for the headliners at the other parks right before closing) by cutting out the option to hit up "one more ride" on those attractions at the last minute.

While still allowing guests to have more opportunity to spend money instead of waiting in line.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in TDO for not coming up with a better solution sooner. Sure, people were willing to defend them months ago and say "it's just not that simple" to add more sisters, but by now, it should have been. While the wait was generally about two hours the first week of June as opposed to the five hours we saw in posts back in March/April, and it had gone down to more like 80-90 minutes even more recently, this is still ridiculous to meet a couple of girls in costumes. Sure, people have been willing to wait (which is their choice, or was until today apparently), but how much more could Disney have earned back in lost food and drink sales by now if they had just had the right number of people in those roles before the spring break season?

If today's change was truly a test, it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

roj2323

We were at the Magic Kingdom yesterday. Walking by the Fairytale Hall in the middle of the day we noticed that the wait time was down to "only" 80 or 90 minutes. My child also noticed that the sign at the beginning of the queue, which at one point read "Anna & Elsa" and "Princess" (or sometimes Aurora), and then more recently had "Anna" and "Elsa" as different signs, was back to saying "Anna & Elsa" and "Princess." Point being (sorry for all these quotation marks)... I wonder if they went back to three characters on that side of the queue, and then started handing out these paper tickets? Is the point of this to reunite the Anna & Elsa characters? Because the wait time yesterday seemed relatively reasonable... same as the one for Mine Train.

When I went last week and only waited 27 minutes (seriously(just before wishes on a monday)) I was disappointed to see that Anna and Elsa were separated so I can understand if they are trying to reunite them whenever possible.

natatomic

I don't think it was triggered by wait times going over 30 minutes, as there are other rides that typically have wait times of more than 30 minutes for a good portion of the day.

I don't think he meant that the line being more than 30 minutes is what triggered this new test. The line being more than thirty minutes during the test is what triggers them to pass out return times. :)

cw1982

I don't think he meant that the line being more than 30 minutes is what triggered this new test. The line being more than thirty minutes during the test is what triggers them to pass out return times. :)

I understand that, but the line for this is pretty much always more than 30 minutes unless one makes it to the very front of the line at rope drop, so the paper passes are going to pretty much be imminent, and the article read to sound like once those passes start flowing, they are the only way into the queue without a fastpass.

Cesar R M

The idea of reverting back to the old system of a (lower) park admission charge and then individual ride ticekts may not seem popular to many guests, but the suggestion does have merit. It would give Disney an incentive to invest in more and larger scale attractions (and refurbished attractions), because the more tickets they sell them more money they make. Currently, under the "all you can ride" one price model, once Disney has your admission money they can't make another dime (except for shopping and dining) so it is instead in their (financial) interest to offer shorter park hours and fewer attractions. Ticket books essentially turn every attraction into a profit center again. Today, a ride on Space Mountain 'costs' the guest the same as a Main Street Trolley ride; Ride tickets would help to better distribute crowds.

It's been mentioned before, but I think this is an excellent idea. Instead of having people wait in a switchback queue, let them wait in a (oversized, for crowds) gift shop - or at least have the line pass by some merchandise or snack carts.

Actually, and much like the idea of ride tickets discussed above, I've heard worse ideas than just making the Anna & Elsa meet & greet an extra charge attraction. Let guests buy a (reasonably priced!) ticket for a specific time window. This helps manage demand while avoiding the need for a several hour queue or specified return times which may not be convenient for guests.
I actually think its a good idea as well (the snack thing as you wait in long lines)
specially if its under the heavy sun.
themed karts everywhere!

as for the reverting back to the old way.. You think they would do that? they earn more money in the "aggregate" type admission ticket than a part by part ticket.
plus if they sell the aggregate and the park is filled to the seams, the guests are encouraged forced to visit more days.

xstech25

I don't think its a conspiracy, more of desperately trying to handle a bad situation. Its likely that the massive waits the princesses were getting were ruining peoples day, so by telling them that if they get there too late they can't do it at all, theoretically they are less angry than if they actually waited several hours for a character meet & greet. This used to happen all the time with X at Magic Mountain when it was extremely unreliable and would be down to 1 train, it was either have people angry that the ride was closed but they could still do other things, or have people waiting 3+ hours in a line that didn't move because of 1 train and it be the only thing they do which makes them even angrier.

The only way to fix it is to have like 4-5 pairs of Anna & Elsa going at a time, its a shame that they moved Tinkerbell to the higher capacity location instead of A&E where there is only enough space for 2 pairs to meet at a time - that was bad planning.

as for the reverting back to the old way.. You think they would do that? they earn more money in the "aggregate" type admission ticket than a part by part ticket.
plus if they sell the aggregate and the park is filled to the seams, the guests are encouraged forced to visit more days.
This will never happen: both Disneyland and WDW have overcrowding charging the current gate prices.

Last edited:

Marc Gil

image.jpg

Hula Popper

And exactly how many people KNEW this was going to be sprung on them today? Nada...no one did. Once the word gets out I would expect the passes to be handed out much more quickly than 2 pm. We are back to the "snooze you lose" game that TSMM created at DHS.

This.

stevehousse

Does anyone know how many different room set ups are located inside the Princess hall? Or how many rooms are in Main Street where the princesses used to meet? I wonder if one is bigger than the other?

Also they should hve kept the girls at Epcot too and added them to DHS sothey could really help spread the chances of people getting to meet them! This new paper fast pass business sounds ludicrous! I'm sure after a few days of complaints from so many guest not being able to see them, hopefully the backlash will make it go away.

But truthfully I think others have stated this in here, but i believe it goes back to the almighty $$$. So the line is 5 hours and probably hundreds of people deep; that's a good chunk of visitors not spending a dime on anything! They want these people out of that ridiculous wait an into the shops instead...

mikeh

So I talked to a CM at Princess Fairytale Hall yesterday and she confirmed that this "test" is only supposed to run "a few days", but she said that guest reaction has been very positive and that it could very likely be expanded past the test period

StringBeanDream

Does anyone know how many different room set ups are located inside the Princess hall? Or how many rooms are in Main Street where the princesses used to meet? I wonder if one is bigger than the other?

Also they should hve kept the girls at Epcot too and added them to DHS sothey could really help spread the chances of people getting to meet them! This new paper fast pass business sounds ludicrous! I'm sure after a few days of complaints from so many guest not being able to see them, hopefully the backlash will make it go away.

But truthfully I think others have stated this in here, but i believe it goes back to the almighty $$$. So the line is 5 hours and probably hundreds of people deep; that's a good chunk of visitors not spending a dime on anything! They want these people out of that ridiculous wait an into the shops instead...

On Main Street there was 2 rooms, each with 3 princesses. In Fairytale Hall there are a total of 4 rooms. 2 have once set of princesses (Anna/Elsa) and 2 have the other set (Rapunzel/Cindy).

natatomic

So I talked to a CM at Princess Fairytale Hall yesterday and she confirmed that this "test" is only supposed to run "a few days", but she said that guest reaction has been very positive and that it could very likely be expanded past the test period

What time did you talk to her? Before or after the tickets ran out? I'm wondering if the feedback was positive from all the guests who couldn't get a ticket for the last 11 hours that the park was open...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom