New Anna/Elsa standby procedure?

MikeyK72

I too think this will be helpful for the people who get a ticket. But I don't like the idea of there being something in the park that you are not allowed to ride if you want. Especially because the article said they are going to try this with Soarin. I understand that the old FP ran out, and that FP+ run out. But you always had the choice of well I will stand in the line for 1, 2, or 3 hours because I really want to ride this.

Frozen is new and they have a problem that may not exist in a year as some people tire of it. So I could understand it being a "temporary" fix. But Soarin is NOT new, and is a problem because there isn't much else to ride in that park. Since they are testing it for that ride, I could envision them testing it for other rides. And that is a huge, huge problem for me.

I agree 100%

natatomic

What this accomplishes is it stops them from having a long line that they have to cut off. It likely saves them on operations because they won't have to staff it as long. Additionally, it probably increased demand because people can now get a return time for 30 minutes or less instead of waiting 3-5 hours. No doubt the 3-5 hour wait deterred many people.

Which actually exaserbates the problem. Not many people want to wait in a 3-5 hour long line, so many choose to not. Now that they are guaranteeing a 30 minute wait for everyone, very few people would say no to that, so now you've increased demand for those tickets. Once all the tickets are gone, you're gonna get guests wanting to know why they can't get a ticket.
CM: "They're all distributed. And we're using tickets so that way we can ensure a 30 minute line at the maximum for everyone."
Guest: "Well, that's fine. I'll just get in the back of the line, and I'll wait 35 minutes. I don't mind a 35 minute wait."
CM: "You can't do that, unfortunately."
Guest: "Why not? This doesn't make sense."
CM: "Um...because this is what I was told to do. I'm sorry..."

Jeffxz

***Just, FYI - ALL tickets have been distributed for the day***

...and the park is open for another 11 hours.

Does anyone know what the procedure is now? Are they actually telling guests that there is no chance for them to meet A&E today?

What this accomplishes is it stops them from having a long line that they have to cut off. It likely saves them on operations because they won't have to staff it as long.

Somehow, I think these savings will just be shifted to the guest relations department.

dadddio

I think it's a "take away" when a guest doesn't even have the option to experience something they really wanted to, as will happen this afternoon when the passes are gone and a parent has to tell their child that they can't see Anna and Elsa
That 'take away' already existed when that parent and child showed up in the afternoon to discover that the line was way to long for them to conceivably visit the princesses. At least this way, the people who get tickets will be able to return and see the characters with a minimal wait.

landauh

I believe that many on this board are missing one important factor in this issue. I do not believe that Disney ever, even in their dreams, foresaw the massive impact of Frozen. First they moved A&E to MK from EPCOT, then they added many attractions in short order to DHS to help reduce some of the bleeding and still needed more help. This appears to be a quick fix for the M&G and possibly a precursor to a system to help make visiting the parks easier.

Even Uni is having issues with EFG. I have a co-worker that said he waited in line for 5 hours to get into DA and then EFG had another 4 hour line. Uni learned from HP1 and were passing out paper passes in both lines with return times but also closed EFG's line hours before the park closed. Maybe Disney is taking a clue from Uni this time and trying to allow Guests to do more (with or without spending extra money on the Guest's part).

BigBeautifulBob

After thinking about this for a minute to make sure I wasn’t just having a gut reaction of “new=bad” I’m beginning to believe this may actually result in less people having a chance to see Anna & Elsa each day rather than more. As we all know there are plenty of people that don’t care enough about seeing these characters to wait in a three hour line – but those same people (with or without kids) may still pick-up these tickets “just in case” they feel like seeing them later in the day. If they are done handing out tickets at 2pm on a day the park closes at midnight that means there are people that are walking around with a return time almost nine or ten hours later than when they picked up the ticket. I doubt 100% of those people will actually be around to use the tickets. We all know that sometimes (in the past - before fastpass+) people would pick up an extra paper fastpass for major rides late in the day just in case and then not use it. Sure sometimes those people would be kind and hand those out to someone on their way out of the park – but many times that fastpass would end up headed home in a wallet or purse. Of course it didn’t matter all that much if fastpasses went unused because that just meant people could get through the standby line even quicker. BUT if you eliminate the standby line altogether those “unused” passes will simply be wasted. This will happen - not everyone will treat these passes like gold and some will even get multiple passes for different times and not use them all. Again – not a problem with traditional paper fastpass – but in this scenario they would just be “wasted capacity”

Also, I was at the Magic Kingdom over the fourth of July weekend and when the parks are open VERY late (like today) – the Anna & Elsa line is not three hours at 11pm or midnight. In fact on one night when the park was open extremely late the posted wait time for A&E was around 10-20min. (which we all know in Disney terms means less than that.)

Anyway – it seems this can be extremely beneficial for the guest who shows up at nine AM and gets a return of 1pm or 2pm. However for the guest that has a late breakfast and a quick swim before coming to the park in the afternoon and staying until midnight this could be a major problem for them.

Sure most may not care if all the passes for A&E are given out by 2pm, but if the same happens with Soarin’ or 7DMT – I could see THAT being a major issue with guests. As we all know many lines get much shorter in the later parts of the evening and in some cases even popular rides become walk ons (or close to it) on nights the park is open late – but if those late night slots are “given away” at 1 or 2pm – it’s a major problem. Again – not a huge deal with only A&E being affected – but if expanded to other popular rides I would have a big problem with not allowing even late arriving guests to wait in line or to simply stay late into the evening after the crowds head home.

CDavid

dont give them ideas please.
I can later imagine having to pay 100 USD to enter the park + 5 USD for a "E ticket" like the Seven Dwarf mine train.

The idea of reverting back to the old system of a (lower) park admission charge and then individual ride ticekts may not seem popular to many guests, but the suggestion does have merit. It would give Disney an incentive to invest in more and larger scale attractions (and refurbished attractions), because the more tickets they sell them more money they make. Currently, under the "all you can ride" one price model, once Disney has your admission money they can't make another dime (except for shopping and dining) so it is instead in their (financial) interest to offer shorter park hours and fewer attractions. Ticket books essentially turn every attraction into a profit center again. Today, a ride on Space Mountain 'costs' the guest the same as a Main Street Trolley ride; Ride tickets would help to better distribute crowds.

by moving a kiosk/souvenir kart into the waiting line?

It's been mentioned before, but I think this is an excellent idea. Instead of having people wait in a switchback queue, let them wait in a (oversized, for crowds) gift shop - or at least have the line pass by some merchandise or snack carts.

See if anyone is selling their passes. I'm curious how much and if they can get away with it.

Actually, and much like the idea of ride tickets discussed above, I've heard worse ideas than just making the Anna & Elsa meet & greet an extra charge attraction. Let guests buy a (reasonably priced!) ticket for a specific time window. This helps manage demand while avoiding the need for a several hour queue or specified return times which may not be convenient for guests.

Pixie VaVoom

Did not know that. Thanks. Well then I'm all out of ideas. I don't see the harm in having a similar duplicate meet and greet in Epcot, DHS, or even Animal Kingdom. We used to see multiple Santa Claus's when I was a kid, and half the people I know would tell you I turned out OK.

what do the other half of the people you know say ???? ;)

dadddio

After thinking about this for a minute to make sure I wasn’t just having a gut reaction of “new=bad” I’m beginning to believe this may actually result in less people having a chance to see Anna & Elsa each day rather than more. As we all know there are plenty of people that don’t care enough about seeing these characters to wait in a three hour line – but those same people (with or without kids) may still pick-up these tickets “just in case” they feel like seeing them later in the day. If they are done handing out tickets at 2pm on a day the park closes at midnight that means there are people that are walking around with a return time almost nine or ten hours later than when they picked up the ticket. I doubt 100% of those people will actually be around to use the tickets. We all know that sometimes (in the past - before fastpass+) people would pick up an extra paper fastpass for major rides late in the day just in case and then not use it. Sure sometimes those people would be kind and hand those out to someone on their way out of the park – but many times that fastpass would end up headed home in a wallet or purse. Of course it didn’t matter all that much if fastpasses went unused because that just meant people could get through the standby line even quicker. BUT if you eliminate the standby line altogether those “unused” passes will simply be wasted. This will happen - not everyone will treat these passes like gold and some will even get multiple passes for different times and not use them all. Again – not a problem with traditional paper fastpass – but in this scenario they would just be “wasted capacity”

Also, I was at the Magic Kingdom over the fourth of July weekend and when the parks are open VERY late (like today) – the Anna & Elsa line is not three hours at 11pm or midnight. In fact on one night when the park was open extremely late the posted wait time for A&E was around 10-20min. (which we all know in Disney terms means less than that.)

Anyway – it seems this can be extremely beneficial for the guest who shows up at nine AM and gets a return of 1pm or 2pm. However for the guest that has a late breakfast and a quick swim before coming to the park in the afternoon and staying until midnight this could be a major problem for them.

Sure most may not care if all the passes for A&E are given out by 2pm, but if the same happens with Soarin’ or 7DMT – I could see THAT being a major issue with guests. As we all know many lines get much shorter in the later parts of the evening and in some cases even popular rides become walk ons (or close to it) on nights the park is open late – but if those late night slots are “given away” at 1 or 2pm – it’s a major problem. Again – not a huge deal with only A&E being affected – but if expanded to other popular rides I would have a big problem with not allowing even late arriving guests to wait in line or to simply stay late into the evening after the crowds head home.
I think that incorporating this new process into FP+ as mentioned above solves all of your concerns.

The issue of FPs not being used is resolved by tweaking the number of FP+s issued.

With the new electronic system, they can do this on the fly releasing immediate FP+s if the line is getting too short.

Choosing your return time eliminates the problem of being stuck with a FP+ for a time that doesn't work for you. Further, if plans change, you can adjust your return time or return it to the queue for someone else to use.

Guests who arrive late can snag a same-day FP+.

cw1982

I think that incorporating this new process into FP+ as mentioned above solves all of your concerns.

The issue of FPs not being used is resolved by tweaking the number of FP+s issued.

With the new electronic system, they can do this on the fly releasing immediate FP+s if the line is getting too short.

Choosing your return time eliminates the problem of being stuck with a FP+ for a time that doesn't work for you. Further, if plans change, you can adjust your return time or return it to the queue for someone else to use.

Guests who arrive late can snag a same-day FP+.

Given that all of the passes were gone by 2 pm today, I'd hardly say that anyone will be getting a same-day pass who is arriving at the park late, unless we're calling 2 pm late, which I don't think it is for a day when the park still has 11 hours of operation at that time.

ETA : I understand your point about them releasing extra fastpasses if people don't use them, but I doubt enough people flake on their Anna and Elsa fp each day for extra passes being released be a real possibility for most people.

Cletus

Given that all of the passes were gone by 2 pm today, I'd hardly say that anyone will be getting a same-day pass who is arriving at the park late, unless we're calling 2 pm late, which I don't think it is for a day when the park still has 11 hours of operation at that time.

ETA : I understand your point about them releasing extra fastpasses if people don't use them, but I doubt enough people flake on their Anna and Elsa fp each day for extra passes being released be a real possibility for most people.

And exactly how many people KNEW this was going to be sprung on them today? Nada...no one did. Once the word gets out I would expect the passes to be handed out much more quickly than 2 pm. We are back to the "snooze you lose" game that TSMM created at DHS.

lazyboy97o

I think we are seeing the dawn of the "F" ticket. You know after E? Not the naughty word.
That actually happened in the 1960s. The Enchanted Tiki Room once had separate admission that cost more than the E-Tickets. Disney also sort of tried to push the idea with the opening of Expedition Everest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom