More families of autistic kids sue Disney parks

Section106

DAS will not help those families with a severely autistic child who will never learn the concept of waiting. Disney's answer to this problem was the GAC, that was, until parents of mildly autistic children saw it as a gravy train and hopped on. Keeping families together was what this lawsuit was about and families with genuinely disabled autistic children lost.

I don't think you know how DAS works. All it takes is one member of the family to go to the Standby line and request a return time. Then the entire family returns and enters the fast pass line. No one has to split up. Its easy.

jaklgreen

Easy for you to say since you don't have a disabled child who has siblings that aren't disabled. The GAC was created to keep families like these together but now a parent has to stay at the hotel with the disabled child while the other parent takes their non-disabled siblings to the park. Happy now?

I am sorry but that is not true at all. Many families with disabled kids have used the DAS successfully. My niece is autistic and my sister said it worked great. It does take a bit of planning but there is no reason why it could not work for most families. Your children take their queue from you. If you act as if it is a struggle then they will pick up on that. If you act as if this is the normal of of doing things then they will go with it.

Lucky

DAS will not help those families with a severely autistic child who will never learn the concept of waiting. Disney's answer to this problem was the GAC, that was, until parents of mildly autistic children saw it as a gravy train and hopped on. Keeping families together was what this lawsuit was about and families with genuinely disabled autistic children lost.
We've had another member here who posted mostly about the same two topics you're posting on: drunks at Epcot, and GAC being ruined for severely disabled guests by families with mildly disabled kids. He's had at least 7 or 8 different accounts.

jaklgreen

We've had another member here who posted mostly about the same two topics you're posting on: drunks at Epcot, and GAC being ruined for severely disabled guests by families with mildly disabled kids. He's had at least 7 or 8 different accounts.

I cant believe someone would complain that children are not disabled enough and that they ruined something for other "more" disabled kids. I smell a troll. Its not a contest on who's child is more disabled or deserves more special treatment. I think most families have someone that has an illness or disability. We all do our best. And given the chance, most people are more then happy to help someone in need. But know that the world does not owe anybody anything.

mimitchi33

Last year in May I saw wait times for IASW at 130 minutes, I had difficulty believing it but there it was up on the standby wait time sign.
Perhaps Mine Train was down???
Easy for you to say since you don't have a disabled child who has siblings that aren't disabled. The GAC was created to keep families like these together but now a parent has to stay at the hotel with the disabled child while the other parent takes their non-disabled siblings to the park. Happy now?
Not in most cases. I guess they only do rides that have short waits or entertain them in the queues.

EPICOT

“Although Respondent provided an accommodation, it was a blanket accommodation that was supposed to apply to all cognitive disabilities... Respondent failed to consider the son’s specific disability when offering a reasonable accommodation”

Does the ADA require that every specific disability receive a tailored accommodation? I could see this as being problematic.

Aqueeta

Does the ADA require that every specific disability receive a tailored accommodation? I could see this as being problematic.
It won't be problematic if Disney goes back to how they distributed these special access passes in the beginning. You see someone who is genuinely disabled, you give them a GAC. You see someone who is milking the system, I mean who has an invisible disability, you give them a DAS. You can visually determine those children who are genuinely autistic from those children who have slight sensory disorders.

NowInc

It won't be problematic if Disney goes back to how they distributed these special access passes in the beginning. You see someone who is genuinely disabled, you give them a GAC. You see someone who is milking the system, I mean who has an invisible disability, you give them a DAS. You can visually determine those children who are genuinely autistic from those children who have slight sensory disorders.

Except there is no legal authority to determine who is more disabled than anyone else. To accuse someone of milking the system will only create more legal problems for them.

GrumpyFan

That method in itself is discriminatory.

Aqueeta

the article says "by depriving them of “full enjoyment” of the company’s theme parks" - by that measure couldn't we all file a lawsuit stating that anytime our favorite ride breaks down, or the lines are too long, etc.
No you can't because those children who are genuinely autistic can no longer visit Disney, period! I do not have a child or a relative who is autistic but the genuinely autistic need instant and unlimited access; it is just they way these kids are programmed. By Disney kowtowing to the GAC abusers by granting them the DAS and eliminating the GAC, they discriminated against the genuinely disabled who need instant and unlimited access.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Long and the short here, the Florida Civil Rights commission has way of enforcing anything.

That being said, there's a difference between reasonable accommodations and people abusing the system. The courts ruled correctly IMO and this should have no bearing.

jaklgreen

No you can't because those children who are genuinely autistic can no longer visit Disney, period! I do not have a child or a relative who is autistic but the genuinely autistic need instant and unlimited access; it is just they way these kids are programmed. By Disney kowtowing to the GAC abusers by granting them the DAS and eliminating the GAC, they discriminated against the genuinely disabled who need instant and unlimited access.

That is not true at all about autistic kids. My niece is autistic and when she was younger she was non verbal, non responsive with a short temper, etc. My sister did some research and actually worked with her and changed her diet(which helped tremendously) and pretty much treated her like a normal child. She did not let her get violent and have temper tantrums. She taught her right from wrong. They have gone to WDW and not used the DAS or GAC, they make her wait. She does just fine. She is now 8 and is in a normal school setting and does what every other child does. She will come up to us and have conversations. She does still have bad days, just like anyone else but for the most part she has a typical life. So with the work put in they can be "reprogrammed" to use your term. Seeing the amazing change in her shows that with some work and patience, a lot of these children can be taught to wait in line or not go into fits. If I had not seen personally what can be done to help these children then maybe I too would feel like you. I know people call her a joke, and she is a bit of a whack job. But Jenny Mccarthy has helped her child too. She did the same by putting in the time and helping him to change. To just allow instant gratification like these people want may help them in the moment but not in the long run. And as the judge pointed out, how do they get there? How do they wait in line at the airport, or at the store, or wait for a bus? This is just plain ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom