More families of autistic kids sue Disney parks

FigmentPigments

Good question @FigmentPigments and I cannot answer it. I wonder, if that family had been moved all the way to the front of the waiting queue, all the way to the line at the doors opening towards the guests, would they have proceeded to walk all the way to the end of any row once the doors opened? I'm thinking they are a stop in the center family. :mad:
Probably. ;)

jaklgreen

I don't really know. She took them to the side to talk, and I turned away to answer another person's question. By the time I was finished, I did not see the family or the cast member. Judging by this thread, it seems likely that she took them through the fastpass queue, but that's where I'm having the trouble. What did she do with them while the show was in progress? Where would she seat the son?
Chances are they were just let in to the pre show area where they just waited. I would guess that they just did not want go through the line like everyone else. I am sure they used this for every ride they went on. The whole "we can't stand but refuse to sit in a wheelchair" crap.

note2001

Chances are they were just let in to the pre show area where they just waited. I would guess that they just did not want go through the line like everyone else. I am sure they used this for every ride they went on. The whole "we can't stand but refuse to sit in a wheelchair" crap.

While improbable, there are some people with back issues who find wheel chairs and their sling style seat to cause pain. I wouldn't be so fast to brush their claim off as bs.

Like with autism, just because one solution fits many people's needs, it may not fit everyone's. And I'd argue again here that the family should have foreseen this issue with waiting and either opted out of going into the parks or better yet, brought a a proper seat along with them.

jaklgreen

While improbable, there are some people with back issues who find wheel chairs and their sling style seat to cause pain. I wouldn't be so fast to brush their claim off as bs.

Like with autism, just because one solution fits many people's needs, it may not fit everyone's. And I'd argue again here that the family should have foreseen this issue with waiting and either opted out of going into the parks or better yet, brought a a proper seat along with them.

I understand sitting too long can make your back hurt. But if this person can walk around the park and only had problems with standing in line, then a wheelchair would have been a good solution. You can get up and out of it when not needed and have an instant seat when you do need it. That makes the most sense, I believe, to most people. To not avail yourself of a good solution but then to demand an instant seat where there are none, is what makes me think they were scamming a bit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand sitting too long can make your back hurt. But if this person can walk around the park and only had problems with standing in line, then a wheelchair would have been a good solution. You can get up and out of it when not needed and have an instant seat when you do need it. That makes the most sense, I believe, to most people. To not avail yourself of a good solution but then to demand an instant seat where there are none, is what makes me think they were scamming a bit.

My back surgeries have left me where moving around is not so bad... But standing in place for periods of time builds the pain. I mitigate it by leaning against things.Standing and walking are very different for people with back issues.

So be careful with the assumptions.

The kind of chair/surface makes a huge difference too.

The removal of benches around the park's is a major issue for me as I need them to rest my back.

note2001

My back surgeries have left me where moving around is not so bad... But standing in place for periods of time builds the pain. I mitigate it by leaning against things.Standing and walking are very different for people with back issues.

The removal of benches around the park's is a major issue for me as I need them to rest my back.

Yes, if Disney does anything for those who need help, please let it be to add back in benches. Blisters, heat exhaustion, back pain, leg pain, and even just simple dehydration can cause issues, and yet Disney takes out benches to allow walking space for more people. I guess their rationale is if someone goes down, there will be plenty of people around to catch them.

DrummerAlly

DAS will not help those families with a severely autistic child who will never learn the concept of waiting. Disney's answer to this problem was the GAC, that was, until parents of mildly autistic children saw it as a gravy train and hopped on. Keeping families together was what this lawsuit was about and families with genuinely disabled autistic children lost.
Excuse me? My daughter has a diagnosis of "Autism Spectrum Disorder (Level 1) with language impairment" are you telling me that my "mildly autistic" daughter is not genuinely disabled and that we were just using the GAC (which actually we have never used because she wasn't old enough to bring) because it was a gravy train? Where do you want to draw the line? Only Level 2 ASD? Only Level 3 ASD? Should the kids who have Level 1 ASD without language and cognitive impairments not be eligible?

I have an appreciation for the fact that touring with a DAS is harder for you and your family than touring with a GAC but please do not place the blame on families like mine with a child who is also legitimately on the spectrum.

DrummerAlly

No you can't because those children who are genuinely autistic can no longer visit Disney, period! I do not have a child or a relative who is autistic but the genuinely autistic need instant and unlimited access; it is just they way these kids are programmed. By Disney kowtowing to the GAC abusers by granting them the DAS and eliminating the GAC, they discriminated against the genuinely disabled who need instant and unlimited access.
As a parent of a child who has a diagnosis of Autism, I'd love to hear about how you define "genuinely autistic".
Actually, I'm just being trolled. Never mind.

Aqueeta

As a parent of a child who has a diagnosis of Autism, I'd love to hear about how you define "genuinely autistic".

Genuinely autistic = Autism Hippie's kid
Questionably autistic = Einstein, Mozart, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Gates, Dan Akroyd, etc..

People who have visual disabilities (i.e. elderly, mentally retarded, down syndrome, genuinely autistic, etc..) would get the GAC and the invisibly disabled would get the DAS (like they do now). If Disney were to go back to their original policy when granting these special passes, there would be zero chance someone could abuse the GAC.

I just don't get why there is so much uproar about the genuinely disabled and their families being granted instant access. Have you ever thought about how much these families give up due to their genuinely disabled child? Well, Disney did until the cockroaches crawled out of the woodwork and ruined a good thing.

Lucky

In case you don't recognize him yet here are some of Aqueeta's previous accounts:

Bristol's Mom
Buzz Killington
BufordTJustice
Preston Chatsworth
Mr. Spalding
Pinkerton

Plus some others that didn't last long.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Genuinely autistic = Autism Hippie's kid
Questionably autistic = Einstein, Mozart, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Gates, Dan Akroyd, etc..

People who have visual disabilities (i.e. elderly, mentally retarded, down syndrome, genuinely autistic, etc..) would get the GAC and the invisibly disabled would get the DAS (like they do now). If Disney were to go back to their original policy when granting these special passes, there would be zero chance someone could abuse the GAC.

I just don't get why there is so much uproar about the genuinely disabled and their families being granted instant access. Have you ever thought about how much these families give up due to their genuinely disabled child? Well, Disney did until the cockroaches crawled out of the woodwork and ruined a good thing.
Well, if there's anyone to know about cockroaches, Preston....

DrummerAlly

In case you don't recognize him yet here are some of Aqueeta's previous accounts:

Bristol's Mom
Buzz Killington
BufordTJustice
Preston Chatsworth
Mr. Spalding
Pinkerton

Plus some others that didn't last long.
I'm tempted to go down a line of arguments that involve science, medicine, law, and informed rational arguments but I'm going to just keep reminding myself "don't feed the troll, don't feed the troll."

jaklgreen

I get it. I think they should have more benches. If a person has a genuine issue with waiting in lines then they should get a DAS. It is not just for autistic kids, it is for all medical issues.

jaklgreen

Oh boy, here we go, the privileged few of this forum using their upper-class status and mob mentality to disenfranchise a lowly black female forumite who dares to defend the genuinely disabled and call out those who milk the system. Let me guess, lower Alabama, central Texas?

Wait. Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that they are "after" you because you are a black woman? Because if that is what you are saying, I guess I don't know why you would say that. Did I miss where you said who you were. I had no idea who was behind your key board. And I think using the race, gender, orientation card when someone disagrees with you is just beyond wrong. People have serious discrimination issues and to make light of it and claim it just because someone does not agree with your views is hurting those with legitimate complaints. Not cool lady.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get it. I think they should have more benches. If a person has a genuine issue with waiting in lines then they should get a DAS. It is not just for autistic kids, it is for all medical issues.

I was just responding to your comment about 'well if they can walk around the park...' - standing in place can actually be harder than walking for some :)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

I hear ya. Cyatica is a killer.

jaklgreen

I hear ya. Cyatica is a killer.

I developed that when pregnant with my first child. It is horrible, I could barely move. But I went to a good message therapist and she messaged the muscle off of the nerve. It was like a miracle. So when it would flare up I would go back and she would "fix" me again. That was years ago and every once in a while I will sleep wrong and it would flare up. But I know it can be worked on and fixed. I think in cases like that medical insurance should pay for the message therapist. They are true miracle workers(the good ones anyway). She helped a lot of pregnant woman.

Lucky

Wait. Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that they are "after" you because you are a black woman? Because if that is what you are saying, I guess I don't know why you would say that. Did I miss where you said who you were. I had no idea who was behind your key board. And I think using the race, gender, orientation card when someone disagrees with you is just beyond wrong. People have serious discrimination issues and to make light of it and claim it just because someone does not agree with your views is hurting those with legitimate complaints. Not cool lady.
He's not a lady. He's only pretended to be one in the most recent two accounts he created.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I developed that when pregnant with my first child. It is horrible, I could barely move. But I went to a good message therapist and she messaged the muscle off of the nerve. It was like a miracle. So when it would flare up I would go back and she would "fix" me again. That was years ago and every once in a while I will sleep wrong and it would flare up. But I know it can be worked on and fixed. I think in cases like that medical insurance should pay for the message therapist. They are true miracle workers(the good ones anyway). She helped a lot of pregnant woman.

I am not pregnant. Nor a woman. Except on Tuesdays. Ladies night at the bar. A black cocktail dress pays for itself with the price of drinks around here....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom