Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

jato4x4

I have a feeling they could post the plans word for word and people would still complain because they think they know better how to run a transportation system.

This. Exactly, and we would have 10 more threads like this. WDW is getting great at their response letters though. Really makes the time someone takes to write WDW to complain seem worth it when they get a great genuine return letter like that.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This. Exactly, and we would have 10 more threads like this. WDW is getting great at their response letters though. Really makes the time someone takes to write WDW to complain seem worth it when they get a great genuine return letter like that.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Yes, but most people are not comparing content and font size. That is standard business procedure to keep themselves from getting sued.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi folks, this is my very first post and I'm excited to be the bearer of some really excellent news!

I called the WDW Vacation Package Bookings number (407-939-7675). I spoke to a CM named Darlene. I told her that I had a confirmed 7-night reservation for Sept/Oct for the Polynesian and that I wanted to confirm the information I had seen about the monorail refurb.

After getting the anticipated packaged response (Disney will be providing boats & buses, blah blah blah...), I pressed on telling her that I would have to change or possibly cancel my MK resort reservation due to this issue; namely, the lack of a vital guest amenity.

I specifically asked if an END DATE was given. She placed me on hold for a
moment and then came back after checking with her supervisor:

THE MONORAIL REFURB WILL BE COMPLETED BY AUGUST 6th!!!

This is for BOTH the Epcot and MK monorails! :sohappy:

While this will unfortunately affect guests staying on property over the next several weeks, the good news is that this is NOT a permanent change.

I was really ticked off when I first learned of this news on this Forum. We use the monorail not only to get to and from MK & Epcot, but also for dining at California Grill and Citrico's and particularly on MNSSHP evenings. We were seriously considering changing our reservation from the Poly to AKL. if the monorails wouldn't be running for us to get back across the Lagoon to our hotel, might as well save some $$$ on hotel and rent a car instead. My spouse is disabled by paraplegia (uses a wheelchair, non-ambulatory) and the buses are a total hassle. The resort launches are not accessible (Disney needs to change this!). When we stayed at GF last year, we were VERY disappointed to learn that we could not use water transport back to our hotel at the end of a MK day.

I don't know where they get this from, but internally the information given to ALL Cast Members is that this is a permanent operational change. It is not a scheduled refurbishment like an attraction that has an end date.

puntagordabob

If this is truly a maintenance issue than I have absolutely no problem with it. Disney is not under any obligation to specifically explain the maintenance issue either. Now, if this isn't a maintenance issue and we find that this form letter is a load of B.S. then there is justifiable reason to be upset.

How about being upset because they allowed the monorails and the system to get to this point without a legitimate plan (with the cash there to actually complete it) to fix this BEFORE we reached this point?

s8film40

Hi folks, this is my very first post and I'm excited to be the bearer of some really excellent news!

I called the WDW Vacation Package Bookings number (407-939-7675). I spoke to a CM named Darlene. I told her that I had a confirmed 7-night reservation for Sept/Oct for the Polynesian and that I wanted to confirm the information I had seen about the monorail refurb.

After getting the anticipated packaged response (Disney will be providing boats & buses, blah blah blah...), I pressed on telling her that I would have to change or possibly cancel my MK resort reservation due to this issue; namely, the lack of a vital guest amenity.

I specifically asked if an END DATE was given. She placed me on hold for a
moment and then came back after checking with her supervisor:

THE MONORAIL REFURB WILL BE COMPLETED BY AUGUST 6th!!!

This is for BOTH the Epcot and MK monorails! :sohappy:

While this will unfortunately affect guests staying on property over the next several weeks, the good news is that this is NOT a permanent change.

I was really ticked off when I first learned of this news on this Forum. We use the monorail not only to get to and from MK & Epcot, but also for dining at California Grill and Citrico's and particularly on MNSSHP evenings. We were seriously considering changing our reservation from the Poly to AKL. if the monorails wouldn't be running for us to get back across the Lagoon to our hotel, might as well save some $$$ on hotel and rent a car instead. My spouse is disabled by paraplegia (uses a wheelchair, non-ambulatory) and the buses are a total hassle. The resort launches are not accessible (Disney needs to change this!). When we stayed at GF last year, we were VERY disappointed to learn that we could not use water transport back to our hotel at the end of a MK day.

As others have said this sounds awfully suspicious, many times the reservations people will say whatever they need to to save the reservation from cancellation. Also I doubt they would have allowed this to become a big deal if it was only planned to limit the hours for 6 days since the MK loop begins reduced hours on the 1st of August.

What I would suggest is that you send an email to Disney guests services and provide them with all the information you stated above and ask them to confirm the dates, this way you will have something in writing one way or another. I suspect that they will say that it was wrong then call back reservations and complain that you were given false information.

s8film40

How about being upset because they allowed the monorails and the system to get to this point without a legitimate plan (with the cash there to actually complete it) to fix this BEFORE we reached this point?

EXACTLY! They should have never let this happen in the first place, very poor management.

s8film40

yes, it was, and shame on them for letting it get that way, but now they are trying to fix it.

I don't think they are honestly trying to "fix" it. I think they are just trying to get by as best they can without putting any money into the problem. Unless there is a plan for thorough refurbishments (which I doubt given only a few added extra hours of maintenance per day) it sounds more like extra time for running repairs.

they have to add buses for the monorail resorts if they dont they are gunna lose costomers who wana stay at the monorail resorts. i think this is going to last one more month then crumble

Uncle Lupe

BombardierINNOVA300.jpg

Innovia 300

image.axd

Vegas Monorail

I'd prefer to see the Disneyland style monorails or introduce the Disney hovercraft

flavious27

I'd prefer to see the Disneyland style monorails or introduce the Disney hovercraft

The Mark VII's retro look works in DLR, I don't see it fitting in as well in WDW; especially running through EPCOT. The lear jet style works for WDW, it is the style that has been in place for 40 years. Also WDW's lines are longer than dlr's whole system, so it looks more like the monorail is flying.

AgentP65

As others have said this sounds awfully suspicious, many times the reservations people will say whatever they need to to save the reservation from cancellation. Also I doubt they would have allowed this to become a big deal if it was only planned to limit the hours for 6 days since the MK loop begins reduced hours on the 1st of August.

What I would suggest is that you send an email to Disney guests services and provide them with all the information you stated above and ask them to confirm the dates, this way you will have something in writing one way or another. I suspect that they will say that it was wrong then call back reservations and complain that you were given false information.

Thanks for the advice, s8film40. I had planned to send a follow-up email to WDW Guest Communications to request confirmation of this in writing. If it turns out this is a permanent operational change, then I feel I will have a legitimate gripe as a Polynesian guest.

While I understand this may sound suspicious, the CM I spoke with was aware
that I have until Aug 15 to cancel my ressie w/o penalty, so why would she or her supervisor have come up with a date (Aug 6) that is clearly more than one week PRIOR to my package balance due date???

Also, while this is only my second post on these boards, this is definitely not
my first rodeo. I am a repeat WDW visitor and am well informed about the parks, resorts and so on. I have been reading this Forum for several years now and am aware that there is a contingent of very cynical and jaded members. I have a "glass is half full" perspective and I will remain guardedly optimistic
with regard to the monorail schedule.

I was fortunate enough to receive the very elusive 40% discount Pin Code (on rack rate of Deluxe Resorts & Villas) at the beginning of 2011. You had to book by Feb 28, which I did. So I'm getting a great deal for our Poly stay and am not likely to cancel my ressie for our trip this Sept/Oct. We already have our MNSSHP tickets. We also have our itinerary set including ADRs at Cali Grill, Brown Derby and several others.

We could, of course, change our ressie to another (non-MK) resort. But with our Pin Code deal, it just wouldn't make sense to do it this trip. We have friends who visit twice annually and would not stay anywhere other than AKL. They have the means to stay anywhere they choose (Club Level Suite at the GF "flagship property"), but they just love AKL and are not interested in other resorts. Maybe next trip we will book at AKL.

No matter how you spin it, the MK resort guests pay a premium for the location. Reduced monorail service is simply unacceptable. As has been mentioned unthread, folks staying at GF will be affected the most. As a Poly guest, at least I have the option of accessing MK and Epcot via the TTC (admittedly, thrown together with the throngs of day visitors).

No, I am not happy about paying for an MK resort (even with a great pin code
offer) and being forced to take alternate methods of transport (other than monorail) to get to MK and EP. It's ridiculous, really. Disney heavily touts the convenience factor when marketing the 3 MK resorts and the majority of guests do in fact choose to pay a premium for these resorts for that very
reason. I am one of them. So it follows logically that I will NOT book an MK resort for future trips if the monorail service will be restricted. And I am really a big Poly fan!

But it irks me greatly that a perk/amenity such as this will be significantly reduced - and not just for guests staying at the 3 MK resorts or even those
staying anywhere on property who take advantage of EMH, but in fact for ALL guests who resort or park hop for fine dining/character dining, shows, shopping and other reasons. OK, I've said my peace. Amen.

In any case, time will tell how temporary or permanent the "revised" monorail schedule will be and if TDO is actually going to replace this geriatric fleet.

nace888

The Innovias just DO NOT hold the CLASSIC WDW Lear-Jet style! Like many said, the 'Mark VII' would not fit in too well at WDW, just doesn't look right. It would fit for TomorrowLand, but not everywhere else... The Mark VIs fit in EVERYWHERE, not in just one place...

I'm also hoping to see Monorail #12 on the beam by this fall!! It sure would be nice.

puntagordabob

they have to add buses for the monorail resorts if they dont they are gunna lose costomers who wana stay at the monorail resorts. i think this is going to last one more month then crumble

Even WITH the busses there are going to be a lot of unhappy people...

Thanks for the advice, s8film40. I had planned to send a follow-up email to WDW Guest Communications to request confirmation of this in writing. If it turns out this is a permanent operational change, then I feel I will have a legitimate gripe as a Polynesian guest.......

Ask the CM if they (WDW) will make that a condition of your reservation! :) Wonder how they would scramble to find something to NOT do that heh.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have been reading this Forum for several years now and am aware that there is a contingent of very cynical and jaded members. I have a "glass is half full" perspective and I will remain guardedly optimistic with regard to the monorail schedule.

I guess there are as many cynical and jaded members as there are gullible members. :lookaroun

Every source so far as stated that this is a permanent change. If you insist upon believing what you want to believe, I guess that is your right also.

History has shown us that reservations are not always the most up to date on their knowledge of events. Misinformation is rampant.

As others have stated, this does not even go into effect until Aug 1st...so to be completed by Aug 6th is utter nonsense.

this may sound stupid but i am a fire fighter and today i was discussing with a older member how a fire truck has a "life" and when a department purchase a truck they make a lease with the town so when the amount of years are up they get money for a new one to replace it. is it possible Disney may have done the same with the monorails and in this time frame they plan to replace them with ones that may have already been constructed?

TP2000

Is it possible Disney may have done the same with the monorails and in this time frame they plan to replace them with ones that may have already been constructed?

No. Not even close.

When Disneyland replaced its monorail fleet with the new Mark VII's back in 2008-09, it had been rumored and reported on for a couple years in advance. The final year before the trains arrived Al Lutz was reporting on the status of the design and construction almost constantly, and Miceage photographers were dispatched up to British Columbia and the factory where they were being fabricated to take pictures of the Disneyland trains through the fences around the plant. Seriously. :eek:

There's no secret plan to replace the WDW monorails with a Black Ops fleet of pre-built trains. There appears to be no real plan for WDW monorails that doesn't look more than 4 to 6 months down the road, let alone funding and fabricating an entire new fleet of monorails for WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom