Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It would be nice if they explained more about what maintenance they were performing, so that we would support this decision. If they say it was part of their timeline cycle to renovate or refurb the tracks, we would swallow this pill just a little bit more. If it something with the trains themselves, that pill isn't going anywhere.

I have a feeling they could post the plans word for word and people would still complain because they think they know better how to run a transportation system.

nace888

Sadly, I actually have to agree with you here, lol. Everyone thinks that the monorails should be on a schedule, or there should not be so many trains or the load-advising CMs aren't doing their job right... You find people everywhere that think this stuff...

googilycub

I have a feeling they could post the plans word for word and people would still complain because they think they know better how to run a transportation system.

+1.

It is amazing how many "experts" there are on this site. While not quite the same thing, I asked one of our track inspectors at work yesterday if they could make good use of 3 to 4 hours of more track time a week. He said that they could make darn good use of that time. Now in my case we are dealing with two steel rails as opposed to one concrete one, but I am sure that they are somewhat similar in the end.

flavious27

Everyone thinks they are an expert, that is out of disney's hands, but some clarification would help when so many guests will be effected. Just them saying that the monorail tracks have been inspected and are in need of some preemptive maintenance to keep them safe is enough for me. Along with that a schedule and estimated date of completion would be helpful.

nace888

I've never ridden the monorails YET... But I have ridden a bus system... The buses I rode have a schedule, but it is hard to follow them. Break-downs happen, traffic happens, and in a mono-pilot's case a MaPo warning could happen... Even if the drivers were PERFECT at driving the beam, the guests also have a tendency to take forever loading and un-loading, no matter where you go...

Kamikaze

I've never ridden the monorails YET... But I have ridden a bus system... The buses I rode have a schedule, but it is hard to follow them. Break-downs happen, traffic happens, and in a mono-pilot's case a MaPo warning could happen... Even if the drivers were PERFECT at driving the beam, the guests also have a tendency to take forever loading and un-loading, no matter where you go...

Point being?

puntagordabob

I'm pretty sure Disney will make an exception for these situations. That would just be both ridiculous and pathetic.

Or it could simply be the new policy: Boats and Busses one hour after MKs regular closing time... if they were going to make exceptions wouldnt they say so? The only thing we have heard is that they are reviewing it for the parties, etc.... What is there to review??? Either the system is up and running or it is not.... Telling people now will allow us all to "understand" what to expect long before we all arrive for our vacations......

Most people plan dinners and all sorts of stuff...if the 3 monorail resorts are a pain to access due to the monorail being down then it is reasonable to assume that a lot of people will adjust their reservations if need be.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Not only that, but the end of 2011 is creeping up slowly... Has anyone heard the news on Monorail Maroon?? It was supposed to be out last year, then this year...

It's not maroon, it's peach, and last I knew it was being painted, but I haven't heard any updates on it for a while.

RSoxNo1

I got the same exact letter (except for my name in the name spot) word for word. Glad to know they really care what the guests are saying about this new disney decison. Complaints about monorail schedule, form letter XYZ :(

If this is truly a maintenance issue than I have absolutely no problem with it. Disney is not under any obligation to specifically explain the maintenance issue either. Now, if this isn't a maintenance issue and we find that this form letter is a load of B.S. then there is justifiable reason to be upset.

nace888

Why would they change it from Maroon to Peach?!? Makes no sense! And besides, I thought it was announced to be Maroon...

s8film40

Why would they change it from Maroon to Peach?!? Makes no sense! And besides, I thought it was announced to be Maroon...

Nothing has been announced in fact they never even announced Teal, it just came out one day. Until they actually start painting it any color you hear is just speculation, as even whatever Disney has planned could change.

nace888

Ohhh... I had heard that Disney announced the Maroon, but thanks for the clarification. Here's an interesting thought though... Other rumors have it that Maroon/Peach/Whatever hasn't come onto the beam due to the use of parts from it... If that is the case, they could always use the salvagable parts from the Mark IVs, right?

s8film40

Ohhh... I had heard that Disney announced the Maroon, but thanks for the clarification. Here's an interesting thought though... Other rumors have it that Maroon/Peach/Whatever hasn't come onto the beam due to the use of parts from it... If that is the case, they could always use the salvagable parts from the Mark IVs, right?

Mark IV's are completely different trains the parts are not interchangeable. It doesn't matter anyway though since Disney no longer owns any Mark IV trains.

nace888

Mark IV's are completely different trains the parts are not interchangeable. It doesn't matter anyway though since Disney no longer owns any Mark IV trains.

Well, that's rather sad... I think Bombardier would make good money to make an 'UPDATED' Mark VI train. Still driveable, but with new features and such... Even though they haven't made the Mark VI style trains, they would be nice to have newer ones...

s8film40

Well, that's rather sad... I think Bombardier would make good money to make an 'UPDATED' Mark VI train. Still driveable, but with new features and such... Even though they haven't made the Mark VI style trains, they would be nice to have newer ones...

Bombardier has in fact continued on with the development of Mark VI monorails they are now on their third generation of them. They have renamed them Innovia Monorails. With the Mark VI being the now discontinued Innovia 100 monorails and Innovia 200 (in use in Las Vegas) and Innovia 300 models.

nace888

This may be true, but Bombardier should make the Mark Series for Disney only... As I have read somewhere, the 'LearJet' style of Disney's Mark IVs and VIs, is pretty much an iconic design for Disney...

flavious27

They have been using the mark vi's for 20 years now, disney doesn't have any of the mark iv's on property. Las Vegas got any of the trains that were not scrapped, and they scrapped them years later also.

Disney should be able to get parts from bombardier, they are still in business and making monorail products.

This may be true, but Bombardier should make the Mark Series for Disney only... As I have read somewhere, the 'LearJet' style of Disney's Mark IVs and VIs, is pretty much an iconic design for Disney...

BombardierINNOVA300.jpg

Innovia 300

image.axd

Vegas Monorail

AgentP65

Hi folks, this is my very first post and I'm excited to be the bearer of some really excellent news!

I called the WDW Vacation Package Bookings number (407-939-7675). I spoke to a CM named Darlene. I told her that I had a confirmed 7-night reservation for Sept/Oct for the Polynesian and that I wanted to confirm the information I had seen about the monorail refurb.

After getting the anticipated packaged response (Disney will be providing boats & buses, blah blah blah...), I pressed on telling her that I would have to change or possibly cancel my MK resort reservation due to this issue; namely, the lack of a vital guest amenity.

I specifically asked if an END DATE was given. She placed me on hold for a
moment and then came back after checking with her supervisor:

THE MONORAIL REFURB WILL BE COMPLETED BY AUGUST 6th!!!

This is for BOTH the Epcot and MK monorails! :sohappy:

While this will unfortunately affect guests staying on property over the next several weeks, the good news is that this is NOT a permanent change.

I was really ticked off when I first learned of this news on this Forum. We use the monorail not only to get to and from MK & Epcot, but also for dining at California Grill and Citrico's and particularly on MNSSHP evenings. We were seriously considering changing our reservation from the Poly to AKL. if the monorails wouldn't be running for us to get back across the Lagoon to our hotel, might as well save some $$$ on hotel and rent a car instead. My spouse is disabled by paraplegia (uses a wheelchair, non-ambulatory) and the buses are a total hassle. The resort launches are not accessible (Disney needs to change this!). When we stayed at GF last year, we were VERY disappointed to learn that we could not use water transport back to our hotel at the end of a MK day.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hi folks, this is my very first post and I'm excited to be the bearer of some really excellent news!

I called the WDW Vacation Package Bookings number (407-939-7675). I spoke to a CM named Darlene. I told her that I had a confirmed 7-night reservation for Sept/Oct for the Polynesian and that I wanted to confirm the information I had seen about the monorail refurb.

After getting the anticipated packaged response (Disney will be providing boats & buses, blah blah blah...), I pressed on telling her that I would have to change or possibly cancel my MK resort reservation due to this issue; namely, the lack of a vital guest amenity.

I specifically asked if an END DATE was given. She placed me on hold for a
moment and then came back after checking with her supervisor:

THE MONORAIL REFURB WILL BE COMPLETED BY AUGUST 6th!!!

This is for BOTH the Epcot and MK monorails! :sohappy:

While this will unfortunately affect guests staying on property over the next several weeks, the good news is that this is NOT a permanent change.

I was really ticked off when I first learned of this news on this Forum. We use the monorail not only to get to and from MK & Epcot, but also for dining at California Grill and Citrico's and particularly on MNSSHP evenings. We were seriously considering changing our reservation from the Poly to AKL. if the monorails wouldn't be running for us to get back across the Lagoon to our hotel, might as well save some $$$ on hotel and rent a car instead. My spouse is disabled by paraplegia (uses a wheelchair, non-ambulatory) and the buses are a total hassle. The resort launches are not accessible (Disney needs to change this!). When we stayed at GF last year, we were VERY disappointed to learn that we could not use water transport back to our hotel at the end of a MK day.

So... is your trip before or after the announced date of completion? I assume it's after since you didn't change your ressie.

It sounds to me suspiciously like they told you what you wanted to hear.

They will probably apologize profusely after you arrive and the "completion" date has been Magically extended.

I would change my reservation immediately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom