Monorail Accident

mikeymouse

Thats the typical 911 call. Lacking any solid information on the location, incident type, injuries, etc. The one guy told the dispatcher it was at the Epcot Station. That could have majorly delayed RC's response. As a dispatcher, I would have sent responding units to Epcot. "Something happened with the monorails..." ??

montyz81

I know it is little more then 24 hours since the accident, but I have to ask this question. Before I do, I really do feel for the family for this person that died. I believe we as a family sat up front with him on our last trip. He seemed to know what he was doing with the train. Anyway, I want to know if Disney will fix these trains and how or will they just take them off the line permanently and go back to 10 Monorails.

DVCMBR05

Honoring Austin on Twitter!

Ever since we heard the news of the monorail crash yesterday, a bunch of us on Twitter have been trying to honor Austin, the monorail operator who lost his life yesterday, by trying to get his name to appear on Trending Topics on Twitter.

If you're on Twitter, please tweet #Austin at 3:00pm EST today. Even if you read this after 3:00pm EST today, please continue to add #Austin to all your tweets.

Spread the word to your Disney tweeps on Twitter! Let's do this for Austin!

Ralphlaw

Call me stupid, naive or uninformed, but is it common for the monorail to be driven from behind? Is there some way, with mirrors, cameras or anything else, that allows a driver like Pink to see what's coming up? For several years now, larger vans and SUV's have a camera in the back to make sure that the driver doesn't back over anyone. Is there a similar system at all for the monorails?

It would seem that seeing the rail could be handy for emergencies because stray wildlife, branches, suicides, stray kids, lightning strikes and other problems must happen from time to time on the rails.

Indeed, a perfect storm of events must have occurred. Perhaps it would be fruitful to anticipate the upcoming changes, such as a video system to see the rail when backing up, less override or modified override procedures, or even another pilot jumping on board in the back/front to make sure this won't happen again. One accident is still one accident too many, but 38 years is still incredible. Hopefully the upcoming changes won't be too burdensome. Thanks for your anticipated enlightenment on this issue.

Again, let's also remember the loss of the poor victim and his family. For those of us of faith, let's picture him in a place far more wonderful than Disney World, with Walt and Roy being there to meet him. This may not help his family, but perhaps nothing we say can help at his point.

rcapolete

couldn't agree more my caravan came with a back up camera, they can even be brought from best buy for like 1-2 hundred dollars

Rob562

maybe next you could tell us what an airline pilot should do/know based on your lack of experience as a pilot also
to make a bold statement that pink should or shouldn't have felt or know something is down right wrong, one thing to speculate another to outright say that pink is in the wrong.
you can flame me for this all you like but it seems someone needs to stand up for a person who has gone through so much and is now being blamed by you for something you have no idea how it happened.

Rather than an airline analogy, how about I describe an unlikely-but-not-entirely-impossible analogy involving a car that everyone can understand?

Imagine you're driving your car. You come across a policeman in the road, who directs you onto a ramp up onto the highway. Because he's a police officer, you follow his direction.
But what you don't realize is that the officer is directing you up an OFF-ramp, putting you going the wrong direction on the highway.

Now, there are visual cues that an observant driver *might* notice... There's the fact that the median divider in on your RIGHT and not your LEFT. The stripes at the edge of the road are the wrong color (it's supposed to be white on the right, yellow on the left). All of the signs are pointing in the other direction.

SHOULD every driver out on the road be able to recognize this unsafe situation and either turn around, or pull over and stop in a safe location until the situation can be sortedfigured out? Yes.

WOULD *every* driver that's out on the road right now if they found themselves in this situation realize that they're going the wrong way, especially if it's 2AM? Probably not. If it were daytime, perhaps they would have more easily seen that something was wrong.
But they may not notice these visual cues, and don't realize there's a problem until they come across a car coming in the opposite direction.

Unfortunately, it *appears* (not placing blame here, but I'm just saying it *appears*) that the monorail driver, following the instructions of the "police officer" (aka Monorail Central) drove into an unsafe position and missed the visual cues until it was too late. Can the driver be faulted for "just following orders"? Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not sure it's my place to make that determination. But what I *will* say is that while following the instructions of the "person in authority", I think everyone should always be prepared to ask questions if something doesn't add up.

-Rob

rcapolete

and my point was do we as non-monorail drivers know if by the time you realize these visual issues was there enough time to avoid the issue.
second of all what if as you said the driver decide to ignore commands he may have received and by doing so caused an accident the same way that even though the cop is directing you onto the wrong ramp by not follow his instructions could cause an issue just as easily as following his instructions. there are reason that there are so called traffic cops on the highway as well as the monorail system

SOLISIMO

If it's behind you.

Simple question, if your the pilot sitting in the monorail heading towards the train that is stopped:shrug: how do you not see it. Unless your telling me that the monorail was traveling backwords? with no pilot in the front.

Im a police officer and that crash was not a low speed crash which is weird entering a terminal with people

WDW Monorail

Simple question, if your the pilot sitting in the monorail heading towards the train that is stopped:shrug: how do you not see it. Unless your telling me that the monorail was traveling backwords? with no pilot in the front.

Im a police officer and that crash was not a low speed crash which is weird entering a terminal with people

The Pink train hit the Purple train as Pink was in reverse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom