Monorail Accident

PatNSCT

Original Poster
Took a quick look and didn't see this posted anywhere. if it has been, feel free to disregard.

It was reported on CFNews 13 this morning that there was a monorail accident this morning at approximately 2 AM. Monorail Pink was coming into station at the TTC and struck Monorail Purple. At this time it is reported that the Monorail CM who was driving was killed, and 6 or 7 guests were injured. No news as to what caused the impact.

Fantasia freak

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- News 13 has learned a driver of the Walt Disney World Monorail System was killed when two monorail trains collided early Sunday.
Witnesses who called the News 13 newsroom said the trains collided at the Epcot station around 2 a.m. Sunday as guests were leaving the park after a Fourth of July fireworks show.
The Reedy Creek Fire Department told News 13 the driver was pronounced dead on the the scene, and another driver was taken to the hospital.
There was no immediate word on what caused the wreck.
According to witnesses, one monorail train slammed into the back of the other.
Crews had to cut the driver who died out of the train.
There has been no word of any other injuries, or how many people were aboard the trains at the time of the wreck.
Sunday’s wreck marks the first fatal accident in the Walt Disney World Monorail System’s 38 years of operation

Fantasia freak

It was actually at TTC, on the Epcot beam. Pink and Purple.The driver of monorail purple was killed. Security was everywhere, had area blocked off. couldn't go near the station. TTC might not open today unless they can clear the trains in time. I didnt see the accident myself, but i was at TTC 30 min after it happened. It was not a good place to be. My condolences to the families of the drivers involved and the guests who were onboard, as well as all Monorail cast members who lost one of their own today.

Fantasia freak

Breaking News: Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash

POSTED: Sunday, July 5, 2009

At 2am Sunday morning, Reedy Creek Emergency Services responded to a call at the Ticket and Transportation Center at the Magic Kingdom. Two monorails collided. 8 people were evaluated total following the crash. One monorail driver was killed. The other driver is fine physically. There were 5 to 6 guests on the monorail at the time of the crash. Disney World Public Relations tells Local 6 that they will release more information later this morning. They are on scene right now gathering information about the incident.
A witness tells Local 6 that he heard a huge crashing noise when the monorails collided. He was able to get pictures and video of frazzled guests walking off the train.
Another report indicates that a moving pink train hit a stationary purple train.
Local 6 has obtained dramatic pictures from the scene of the crash.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Wow, just wow. My sympathies go out to anyone involved.

Question though, aren't there speed regulations near the TTC for monorail drivers? To be going fast enough to kill the CM shocks me

Tramp

Wow, just wow. My sympathies go out to anyone involved.

Question though, aren't there speed regulations near the TTC for monorail drivers? To be going fast enough to kill the CM shocks me

My condolences to the family of the CM and sympathy to his co-workers who must be devastated this morning.

drnilescrane

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but it sounds as though he passed out at the controls; maybe fell asleep or heart attack, etc.

My condolences to the family of the CM and sympathy to his co-workers who must be devastated this morning.

My heart goes out to the friends and relatives - It's something that should no one should have to experience .

It's a horrible event to happen but a part of me can't imagine how a monorail would be able to fly through the TTC that fast without there being a problem with MAPO - Passing out and managing to activate the touch screen just doesn't seem plausible... Maintenance on the Mark VIs haven't being getting a good rep but something as crucial as MAPO should not fail.

vwayfan123

I would like to know more of the details. I was once a custodial cast member at epcot, and part of my territory was the monorail station. I talked to the monorail cast quite frequently. Some of the things they told me were each monorail is equiped with gps, and there are also sensors in the track. Also each cast member is given a electronic chip or "key" for the monorail. In the event the pilot gets too close to another train on the same track, they're supposed to slow to a stop. If they don't, the sensors are supposed to kick in and i think it's what they called a "estop" When this happened it would record it in the pilots "key" and they would be suspended for a certain period of time. This may have changed since 2007.

Tom Morrow

Oh no... this is horrible :(

But at the very least, at least no guests were in the front cabin at the time.

Still, the media is going to have a field day with this.

PhotoDave219

Screenshot from CNN.

Monorailcrash.jpg

Krozar

This is horrible news! I keep wondering WHY. Someone had to be in MAPO override. I never heard of the MAPO system failing on its own.

I left monorails a year ago, but good chance I know who it was :(

tomm4004

According to the story in the Sentinel, one driver died and another was taken to the hospital. It's standard to have two drivers in the cab, isn't it? It's doubtful the injured driver was from purple since he would have been at the other end of that train.

darrin933

According to the story in the Sentinel, one driver died and another was taken to the hospital. It's standard to have two drivers in the cab, isn't it? It's doubtful the injured driver was from purple since he would have been at the other end of that train.
a witness on cnn said pink was stopped and purple ran into it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom