Monorail Accident

flynnibus

Premium Member
This tragedy fits his agenda and since he is a person of no class, he can't help but exploit it even before the facts are in. Totally predictable behavior on his part. If a manager was at fault then I am sure Disney will deal with the situation. If somebody ignored the rules, then that is a completely different situation

The point is the rules appear to be written in a sloppy way. It is managements problem when you write your SOP to put the wrong priorities first.

There is obviously human error in this accident - but the point of safety procedures is to minimize the effect or scope of human error and build redundancies and reduce the risks caused by failures. This is why in proper systems, failures can be accounted for without accidents - and it takes a REALLY bad scenario to actually result in accidents that cause harm to passengers.

The problem with management as we know it so far is - there are certainly areas where normal control system practices are not followed putting the burden on humans to not screw up. Well, obviously they do eventually.

meaicp

old school pilot

My best to all current and past pilots... I worked monorails in the late 70s / early 80s - was so sad to hear of the accident. I loved the shop staff and all the pilots - everyone was family so I know this is a hard time. I can;t help it - but when I heard it was pink train - my heart just thumped. Pink was a real problem train - the worst one mechanically - when I worked there. Nobody wanted to be the one to take that baby out of the shop every morning - always breaking down and causing delays. That was a long time ago though. I expect they've been updated many times since then.

Thanks for an interesting read. I love the pin. Our geeky outfits were lime green and navy - not as nice as the ones they have now - and outr pin looked more like airlines than the one you've posted.

peter11435

My best to all current and past pilots... I worked monorails in the late 70s / early 80s - was so sad to hear of the accident. I loved the shop staff and all the pilots - everyone was family so I know this is a hard time. I can;t help it - but when I heard it was pink train - my heart just thumped. Pink was a real problem train - the worst one mechanically - when I worked there. Nobody wanted to be the one to take that baby out of the shop every morning - always breaking down and causing delays. That was a long time ago though. I expect they've been updated many times since then.

Thanks for an interesting read. I love the pin. Our geeky outfits were lime green and navy - not as nice as the ones they have now - and outr pin looked more like airlines than the one you've posted.
If you worked monorails in the late 70s / early 80s then this was a completly different pink train. The entire fleet was replaced since then.

Tom

Beta Return
Just FYI, it seems that the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour has been canceled until Oct. 12th. It is rumored that this is due to the monorail accident.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1712-Walt-Disney-World-Travel-Examiner~y2009m7d11-Disney-monorail-crash-investigation-may-be-reason-for-steam-train-tour-cancellation-through-October

Yup, that seems like a given, for sure! Don't want guests being around Shop right now. Just like it's best to keep them out of the monorail cockpits right now.

CRO-Magnum

It's ashame yet...

...travelling all those miles the law of averages says a fatality had to happen sooner or later.

As someone with a manufacturing background I'm very surprised there isn't a better lock-out system in place to prevent this type of situation from occuring. The circulated explanation that to move trains requires an override mode that locks out some safety capabilities seems absurd. What about proximity switches and zones like on roller coasters? Or physical latchbacks (one way spring loaded arms) on the beamway that trip a circuit breaker if a train travels backwards over one? Since the trains primarily move in move in one direction on each beam having one every so often would prevent this type of accident and I don't believe would interfere with operations. Or a track indicator at the switch or the point where the driver stops to back up onto the transfer beam to show the switch position, just like railroads have used for over 100yrs? Seems any one of these would have prevented the accident.

My only surprise was the circumstances. I had always assumed a fatal crash would involve an unruly, suicidal, or drunk/drugged guest on a joyride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom