Modified Monorail routes in effect during late May

rob0519

Technically it IS advanced notice but to DVC'ers its not enough to cancel and reschedule without points going into holding.

Also not enough time to reschedule airfare on most carriers without penalty.

30-45 days notice is the 'industry standard'

Hey 'they are only tourists the'll take what we give em and like it'

Ok, I'll bite. Do you honestly think anyone, including yourself, would cancel a trip planned up to 180 days in advance over a slight disruption (12 hours over 2 days) of the monorail schedule when the express monorail will stop at the CR to make up for it? Really?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It makes perfect sense if you or a member of your family has one or more disabilities that make that 10-15 minute walk more difficult than waiting 10 minutes for a monorail. Also, some people there for the first time may want to ride the monorail for the fun of it.
True, we love riding the monorail for the fun of it as well. We require an ECV every trip, but the walk is still not an issue. Yes, it is an inconvenience to have to get on the monorail at CR to the TTC, and then switch to the other monorail, but again, it's only on a few days for a few hours.

ETA: Of course, as an alleged DVC member, you do know that even with 45 days notice, your points will still go into holding, don't you? So what difference would that make?

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Who in their right mind would even think about cancelling a trip to CR because the monorail has degraded service for a few hours on a few days????? No one.

Ok, I'll bite. Do you honestly think anyone, including yourself, would cancel a trip planned up to 180 days in advance over a slight disruption (12 hours over 2 days) of the monorail schedule when the express monorail will stop at the CR to make up for it? Really?
cd92914a2bf2bdf79f91a99b91ce8e80.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For me, it's because I love the monorail.

It's literally my most favorite attraction at WDW.

Sure, practically speaking, it makes much more sense to walk, but from an experience standpoint, the hotel with the monorail literally running thru the middle of it, it's a big selling point of the resort.

Disney of course has this covered. The outage is only minimally impactful due to the express picking up the slack.

Only downside: it's a much shorter ride on the way to the MK now... ;)
We love the monorail as well, but as mentioned, it's only for a few hours for a few days. Since people already know this is coming, then if needed, a slight alteration of plans might be needed. No big deal to 99.99% of us.

rob0519

True, we love riding the monorail for the fun of it as well. We require an ECV every trip, but the walk is still not an issue. Yes, it is an inconvenience to have to get on the monorail at CR to the TTC, and then switch to the other monorail, but again, it's only on a few days for a few hours.

ETA: Of course, as an alleged DVC member, you do know that even with 45 days notice, your points will still go into holding, don't you? So what difference would that make?

Yep, we treat the monorail as an attraction as much as transportation. Personally, I wish the resort line would always skip the TTC, especially at park closing. It would be great for monorail resort guests, but make getting people off the property even worse.

rael ramone

After looking at the front page article and the comments....

During the affected time, one who is staying at the Poly or GF who are going to the MK can ride their regular monorail as normal, and if they are returning to their resort, there are less stops... If you are going to Epcot, you are either walking to the TTC (possible from the GF, but it's a long haul) or your doing your change at the MK station (I wonder if a fraction of the families there won't appreciate doing a switchover there if their young ones will go into meltdown if they are right in front of the MK gates and don't go in)...

If you are staying at the Contemporary, I wonder if they'll be space issues getting on the express line instead of the resort line.

If you want to go from one resort to another (let's say you are staying at the Floridian and you have an early dinner at the Cali Grill) then it's an inconvenience as well...

It could be worse. (It could be shut down totally).

Perhaps something that has come up, where, it doesn't require a *total immediate shutdown*, but it needs to be taken care of much sooner than later.

That all said, there is something to be said for doing these things at night if at all possible (as someone who works nights, I've dealt with many construction delays & detours so it's very doable).

There is something also about planning these things out at the same time frame that you expect your guests to make THEIR plans.

pvtim

The holding account is actually at 30 Days. Per the DVC website:
If your plans change, the policies of Disney Vacation Club are accommodating: if you change or cancel a reservation at least 31 days before your Check-In date, you will incur no penalties. All your Vacation Points will be returned to your account. Banked or borrowed Vacation Points are not returned to their original Use Year. They will remain as banked or borrowed Vacation Points and stay in the Use Year of the canceled reservation.
That being said I agree - no way I am changing a vacation based on limited changes to the availability of the monorail.

Yep, we treat the monorail as an attraction as much as transportation. Personally, I wish the resort line would always skip the TTC, especially at park closing. It would be great for monorail resort guests, but make getting people off the property even worse.
I agree, but only because I stay at the Poly and can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot. If there was no stop at the TTC how would other monorail guests get to Epcot- bus?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I love that idea!!

rob0519

If your plans change, the policies of Disney Vacation Club are accommodating: if you change or cancel a reservation at least 31 days before your Check-In date, you will incur no penalties. All your Vacation Points will be returned to your account. Banked or borrowed Vacation Points are not returned to their original Use Year. They will remain as banked or borrowed Vacation Points and stay in the Use Year of the canceled reservation.
That being said I agree - no way I am changing a vacation based on limited changes to the availability of the monorail.

I agree, but only because I stay at the Poly and can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot. If there was no stop at the TTC how would other monorail guests get to Epcot- bus?

My bad. I meant to say only at park closing, not especially. Monorail resort quests have no need for the TTC stop at closing.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That all said, there is something to be said for doing these things at night if at all possible (as someone who works nights, I've dealt with many construction delays & detours so it's very doable).
Sure, let's have bright lights shining on the monorail at night, which, no matter where you place them, have the possibility of shining into someone's room. Not to mention the safety issue. Yes, I know they do things like road building and all at night, but that is different than being hoisted up in the air to work on a monorail line.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My bad, you are absolutely right, but again, no one is going to cancel a vacation that they planned months in advance for this type of outage.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My bad. I meant to say only at park closing, not especially. Monorail resort quests have no need for the TTC stop at closing.
I had thought you meant only at park closing, so that's why I agreed. Would be silly during the day, of course.

msteel

I'm outraged!
We will be at Magic Kingdom some of those days, and since we offsite and we rely on the monorail to get us to the parks at rope drop, and again at park close. What will we do between 11:30 am and 6:00 pm if the monorail is shut down during that time?

Do I really have to tell people I am being sarcastic? OK. I'm being sarcastic. Let's see how many comments I get anyway.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Pfffft... Who cares about non-monorail guests? They probably aren't even staying on Disney property! Bunch of freeloaders and moochers anyway... Let them stand in long lines to get out of MK while those of us Disney elitists... errr... paying guests and DVC members enjoy the many amenities that Disney provides to get back to our rooms quickly and efficiently.

:p

rael ramone

I'm outraged!
We will be at Magic Kingdom some of those days, and since we offsite and we rely on the monorail to get us to the parks at rope drop, and again at park close. What will we do between 11:30 am and 6:00 pm if the monorail is shut down during that time?

Do I really have to tell people I am being sarcastic? OK. I'm being sarcastic. Let's see how many comments I get anyway.

If you wanted to do a mid day Hotel tour (into some less crowded air conditioning, and perhaps an adult beverage without having to reserve for TS if you are so inclined) it would be very inconvenient to do the full 3 hotel tour.

rael ramone

I wish TDO would treat the monorail more like an attraction and not just a mode of transportation...

bhg469

Slight overreaction - and by slight, I mean a laughably large overreaction.

It's 4 days for 6.5 hours each day. It's not at park opening, it's not at park closing. You can still ride the monorail (express will stop at CR) so they did not take away a major reason you stay there, they modified it for a few hours when the fewest people would be using it in that manner.

Seriously - I'm a little confused, when staying at CR when would you be using the resort monorail and how would using the express during this time period be a major adjustment to those plans?

Please, go have a drink for Cinco De Mayo and chill man.
Most peoples vacations are 5-7 days.. So that could conceivably be the duration of a family's whole trip.

If that was their deciding factor for choosing that resort, it is a big deal to them. To take things further, most people who visit WDW aren't the type to seek out this type of information nor do they visit forums. All that said, I think anyone who is visiting in the next 2 years will be let down no matter what.

Kamikaze

It's called do it at NIGHT when the system is shut down, But Disney is unwilling to PAY the premium that that type of work costs so the PAYING guest takes it in the shorts. Just imagine if you had planned to make extensive use of the monorail during your stay because of wheelchair/ECV/kids in strollers and when you get there 'Sorry Suckah you get to walk or ride the bus which might show up 2x hour'

What if whatever they are doing is noisy? Or needs large lighting? Can hardly do that right next to two resorts at night.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom