Moderate vs. Deluxe: Biggest differences

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The amenities are the only really glaring, across the board difference. Since the moderate resorts switched to queen beds (save for CBR) the only thing extra thing the rooms have is a few extra square feet and a balcony.

The grounds tend to be well themed and very well kept at both the moderates and deluxe resorts. AKL is the one deluxe that does go over the top in the "grounds" arena as they have a savannah with wild animals on it. IMHO it is kind of hard to top that.

You will see 2 or more table service restaurants as well as a counter service restaurant at the deluxe resorts. The main pools tend to a little larger an a little more ornate and the location of the deluxe resorts tend to be close to MK and Epcot. Deluxe resorts also have concierge rooms and service available as well as a fitness center.

Of the moderates, Coronado is the closest to a deluxe in terms of amenities as it is a convention style resort.

Quite honestly, I find that the moderates have the best bang for your buck. If you are not hanging out at the resort for extended periods about the only real tangible advantage some of the deluxe resorts have is proximity to the parks.

Computer Magic

The amenities are the only really glaring, across the board difference. Since the moderate resorts switched to queen beds (save for CBR) the only thing extra thing the rooms have is a few extra square feet and a balcony.

You will see 2 or more table service restaurants as well as a counter service restaurant at the deluxe resorts. The main pools tend to a little larger an a little more ornate and the location of the deluxe resorts tend to be close to MK and Epcot. Deluxe resorts also have concierge rooms and service available as well as a fitness center.

Of the moderates, Coronado is the closest to a deluxe in terms of amenities as it is a convention style resort.

Quite honestly, I find that the moderates have the best bang for your buck. If you are not hanging out at the resort for extended periods about the only real tangible advantage some of the deluxe resorts have is proximity to the parks.
I would add there are additional transportation offered besides a bus (except for AKL). You have boats, walking, and monorail offerings to some of the parks.

Computer Magic

Deluxe resorts have rooms that open to inside hallway.

Moderates open to the outside.
I think that's a huge advantage. I know when going during hurricane season that makes a difference in my decision. I would rather be at a inside hallway if caught at WDW during a hurricane. You can get around and in many cases have access to the main area, food, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would add there are additional transportation offered besides a bus (except for AKL). You have boats, walking, and monorail offerings to some of the parks.

Along with that goes less crowded busses when you aren't walking, boating or monorailing to a park. Each moderate has close to or more than 2,000 rooms. The deluxe resorts generally have under 1,000. Big difference on a crowded day when the park is closing. Transportation and dining options would be my 2 biggest pluses for a deluxe. Most deluxe resorts not only have multiple dining options but are linked by either a short walk/boat ride or monorail trip to other deluxe resorts. It really opens up convenient dining options. Unless you are getting a good deal though its usually not enough to warrant the extra costs IMHO.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think that's a huge advantage. I know when going during hurricane season that makes a difference in my decision. I would rather be at a inside hallway if caught at WDW during a hurricane. You can get around and in many cases have access to the main area, food, etc.

I know it is odd, but I have never cared for interior hallways. There is no question that they have their advantages, (Climate control, privacy, security,access to the main facilities in inclement weather, etc) ,but I completely loose my sense of location and direction in the identical, never ending interior halls of a hotel. It is stupid I know, interior halls are better for 99% of the population, but I like being outside when I am out of my room. I also like the shorter walk to my car that I seem to always have at the resorts with exterior halls.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I know it is odd, but I have never cared for interior hallways. There is no question that they have their advantages, (Climate control, privacy, security,access to the main facilities in inclement weather, etc) ,but I completely loose my sense of location and direction in the identical, never ending interior halls of a hotel. It is stupid I know, interior halls are better fr 99% of the population, but like being outside when I am out of my room. I also like the shorter walk to my car that I seem to always have at the resorts with exterior halls.

Exactly the same I feel. <ok, yeah, joke is getting old...but I really don't like interior halls either>

PUSH

I know it is odd, but I have never cared for interior hallways. There is no question that they have their advantages, (Climate control, privacy, security,access to the main facilities in inclement weather, etc) ,but I completely loose my sense of location and direction in the identical, never ending interior halls of a hotel. It is stupid I know, interior halls are better fr 99% of the population, but like being outside when I am out of my room. I also like the shorter walk to my car that I seem to always have at the resorts with exterior halls.

I 100% agree with this.

Computer Magic

We are staying at POFQ this upcoming trip but I was/am considering a deluxe stay when my dw and I return next year for our 10 year anniversary. The trip won't be as long so I was considering splurging a bit but may stick with a moderate depending on our stay at FQ.
FQ is a good choice. That is as good as it gets with buses. You are first on and first off. A boat ride to DTD.

You could also look at WL for a cheaper Deluxe, especially if you can score a discount. AKL is about the same cost as well, but I find it less attractive with the new DVC building.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We are staying at POFQ this upcoming trip but I was/am considering a deluxe stay when my dw and I return next year for our 10 year anniversary. The trip won't be as long so I was considering splurging a bit but may stick with a moderate depending on our stay at FQ.

When I had clients dealing with the moderate/deluxe choice I always asked them one simple question. Will you use what a deluxe resort has to offer?

There is no arguing that the deluxe resorts are nicer/better than the moderates. What it really comes down to is if you are going to make use of those features that you are paying extra for. If you are, go for it. If not, save the cash and spring for a great dinner at one of the deluxe resorts and soak up a little of the atmosphere for free.:D

Computer Magic

I know it is odd, but I have never cared for interior hallways. There is no question that they have their advantages, (Climate control, privacy, security,access to the main facilities in inclement weather, etc) ,but I completely loose my sense of location and direction in the identical, never ending interior halls of a hotel. It is stupid I know, interior halls are better for 99% of the population, but I like being outside when I am out of my room. I also like the shorter walk to my car that I seem to always have at the resorts with exterior halls.
location of the room is key but that can be said with either. You mentioned a car which changes things for those that only do Disney transportation. I've stayed in Dixie Landings and got soaked trying to get to the bus stop or walked a mile. The same can be said about AKL but I don't get wet or freeze in Dec.

PUSH

Thanks! From the pictures it looks like you can walk inside the mansions.

There are hallways that are somewhat enclosed, but not entirely. The mansions do have hallways running through the middle of them, but they are more like tunnels. That's the only "inside" hallway I can think of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom