Moderate vs. Deluxe: Biggest differences

Disneykidder

Awesome post, @minnielaw. The only thing you missed was buses. Mods and deluxe buses are both great but deluxe is a tad better. AKL may be a smidge out of the way to some places but it is so awesome. The theming is incredible and there is a lot to do there. The rooms are amazing looking.

Nemo14

Awesome post, @minnielaw. The only thing you missed was buses. Mods and deluxe buses are both great but deluxe is a tad better. AKL may be a smidge out of the way to some places but it is so awesome. The theming is incredible and there is a lot to do there. The rooms are amazing looking.

I found the bus situation at the deluxe resorts to be much worse than the mods. Most of them share the route with other deluxe resorts, so it often takes much longer to get to your destination.

Grumpy1973

Just booked a stay at Beach Club for the last week of July, we are on a mission to stay at all of the resorts so we have not stayed at the same place twice yet BUT when we have stayed everywhere we want to stay we will be returning to Riverside, it's my moderate of choice, and it would have been HALF the price of Beach this trip, but the wife wouldn't let me stray from our mission to stay at them all..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I found the bus situation at the deluxe resorts to be much worse than the mods. Most of them share the route with other deluxe resorts, so it often takes much longer to get to your destination.
Which ones share a bus? I've never experienced that other than the YC/BC area. Do any of CR, Poly, GF, WL or AK share buses. I've not stayed at all and it's been a long time for some so I'm wondering if things have changed for the worse.

Disneykidder

Just booked a stay at Beach Club for the last week of July, we are on a mission to stay at all of the resorts so we have not stayed at the same place twice yet BUT when we have stayed everywhere we want to stay we will be returning to Riverside, it's my moderate of choice, and it would have been HALF the price of Beach this trip, but the wife wouldn't let me stray from our mission to stay at them all..
We have the same mission!

cslafferty

We are staying at POFQ this upcoming trip but I was/am considering a deluxe stay when my dw and I return next year for our 10 year anniversary. The trip won't be as long so I was considering splurging a bit but may stick with a moderate depending on our stay at FQ.

DH and I LOVE POFQ! However, we spend most of our time at MK, going to EPCOT mainly for meals. I have stayed at the Contemporary a couple of times in the past, and for me that's what the biggest advantage was - being able to walk to MK and hop the monorail to EPCOT and not have to deal with busses. The past few years when the economy was REALLY in the toilet, I just couldn't justify the price difference just to avoid the busses, so POFQ became our fav. But this year, things are a little better, and we are splurging for a MK view room at the Contemporary in Dec. Being able to walk to MK in 10 min. vs standing in lines waiting for the bus, and then the travel time on the bus really does add significant time that we can spend in the parks, or relaxing at the pool. Considering the cost of our park tickets, that justifies it at least a little bit in my head!

Computer Magic

Yeah, I don't understand why Disney does this. When staying at a Epcot resort, I would rather walk through the International Gates, pass the main gates and take a monorail to MK than wait for a MK bus.

Computer Magic

This past October was our first Deluxe resort experience, at Boardwalk Villas, as we had previously stayed at PORS. The most glaring differences to me were as follows:
  • the interior hallways in the Deluxe vs. the exterior entrance at the Mod. I agree with @Master Yoda, I prefer the exterior entrance and the exterior theming is excellent at the Mods. The hallway at BWV's was LONG and dark and seemed to take forever to get to the room.
  • the lack of a food court at the Deluxe. We really missed the food court option for breakfast and snacking late at night. BW is probably the worst in terms of restaurants since there is NO restaurant actually in the resort. The Boardwalk Bakery (pre-renovation) was very crowded and had no seating...however, we usually ate on the little tables outside and this was very nice. We never used our resort mugs 'cause it was so darn inconvenient.
  • the distance to parking. If you drive to WDW or rent a car and don't use WDW transportation, the walk to the parking lot can be VERY LONG at a Deluxe.
  • LOCATION!! Most Deluxe resorts have excellent locations (Contemporary, Poly, GF, WL, YC, BC, BW) and are within walking distance of at least one park or on the monorail. The exception is AKL which is very much out of the way. The advantage of walking to BOTH Epcot and DHS was HUMONGOUS and far outweighed any of the above disadvantages of the Deluxe for us.
  • Toilet paper and pillows. We stayed 7 nights at BWV's and then moved to POFQ for one night...I could tell absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the toilet paper or pillows. The toiletries were a little different, but I don't use them anyway.
I actually preferred the rooms, theming and convenient walk to the food court at POFQ over the BWV's, but the location and ability to walk to Epcot and DHS tipped the balance for the BWV's!

I don't think I would ever pay rack rate for a Deluxe hotel, or even a discount (unless it was huge) but I would rent DVC points again to stay Deluxe.
What do you mean by the lack of a food court at the Deluxe? Are you talking about BW, because many deluxe's have food courts such as Mara in AKL, Roaring Fork Food Court at WL and Captain Cook's at Poly to name a few. You are correct BW and BC don't have a traditional Food Court.

I don't recall being able to walk to any park or ride the monorail from WL?

IMHO, BW is the worst deluxe on property you stated it, NO restaurant actually in the resort and resort mugs are a pain to refill. There are more reasons but I'll leave that for another time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Poly with CR, WL with GF.
That must be new or maybe it varies by crowd level. I have stayed at CR recently and the bus to AK was exclusive. We didn't do DHS that trip. We took the GF bus back from AK since it arrived before CR and is a quick monorail ride to CR and it too was exclusive to GF. It was a pretty busy time of year so maybe that factored in.

When CSR first opened we stayed there and it shared a bus with BW. I thought it was actually great since it stopped at CSR first so we had a direct bus to BW. Easy to get to Jellyrolls. Tougher to get home from.

cslafferty

What do you mean by the lack of a food court at the Deluxe? Are you talking about BW, because many deluxe's have food courts such as Mara in AKL, Roaring Fork Food Court at WL and Captain Cook's at Poly to name a few. You are correct BW and BC don't have a traditional Food Court.

I don't recall being able to walk to any park or ride the monorail from WL?

IMHO, BW is the worst deluxe on property you stated it, NO restaurant actually in the resort and resort mugs are a pain to refill. There are more reasons but I'll leave that for another time.

I know for a fact that there are food courts at Poly, WL and Contemporary. Don't know about BW. And, the only transportation from WL is by bus or boat.

Epicpilot

One of the main differences is location for deluxes. Most of them are right near a park though to me the Poly has the best location for any resort on property. The reason why is that MK is only a short 5 min monorail or boat ride away, and if you would like to go anywhere else there is a pathway leading to TTC so going to any park is a breast and at my past stays it never took me more than 15 min to get to any destination on site.

Computer Magic

One of the main differences is location for deluxes. Most of them are right near a park though to me the Poly has the best location for any resort on property. The reason why is that MK is only a short 5 min monorail or boat ride away, and if you would like to go anywhere else there is a pathway leading to TTC so going to any park is a breast and at my past stays it never took me more than 15 min to get to any destination on site.
I've only learned recently about a path from Poly to TTC. Is it really faster to walk to the TTC and talk a bus to AK or DHS, rather than wait for the same bus at the Poly?

I'm really considering staying at the Poly next time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom