Moderate resorts

POFQ is the best of the moderates. It's size is the most manageable and the bus system is the most efficient as most time you are a one and done stop, not sharing between other resorts. Sometimes you get unlucky and have to go to Riverside, but that's rare. The other resorts have multiple bus stops which can be a time eater.
They do share buses at Riverside and French Quarters. I stayed there in 2012 and we had to stop at POFQ.

ParentsOf4

Reposting what I wrote on an earlier thread:

WDW has four Moderate Resorts (MRs):
  • Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR)
  • Coronado Springs Resort (CSR)
  • Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ)
  • Port Orleans Riverside (POR)
People have their favorites but which one is the best? Realistically, there is no such thing as 'best'. In this case, 'best' is a matter of preference. However, it might be interesting to try to objectively evaluate the four MRs.

Note: Although the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were reclassified as "Moderate" in 2008, these still are part of the unique Fort Wilderness campgrounds and don't fit neatly into any traditional Disney resort category. Therefore, they are not listed as an option in the poll.

Below is my attempt to rate the 4 resorts. (It's been several years since I last stayed at a couple; sorry if I forget something or if something has changed.) Please feel free to use whatever criteria you like.

Theming - All four resorts are extensively themed and well executed. Theming is consistent throughout the common areas, with plenty of lush vegetation. Which theming is 'best' primarily is a matter of taste. I award 1.0 point to each of the 4 MRs for this category.

Layout - POFQ is by far the smallest MR with all amenities within easy walking distance; 1.0 points. Although, POR is significantly larger, it's centrally located pool means it's a relatively easy walk from most rooms while the main building and food are still far from most rooms; 0.5 points. With large central lakes, most rooms are distant for the main facilities, 0.25 points to CBR and CSR.

Transportation - Compared to Deluxe or Value Resorts, bus transportation at the MRs are weak. However, accordingly to 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World', CSR has the best bus service of the four; 1.0 points to CSR, 0.5 to the other 3.

Pool - CSR and POR have large, interesting main pools with good water slides for children; 1.0 points to these 2 MRs. The main pool at CBR is slightly smaller and slightly less exotic; 0.75 points. The main pool at POFQ is significantly smaller with a water slide that's exciting for only the very young; 0.25 points.

Dining - POR has an excellent food court with a varied food selection and ample seating. POR also offers a good Table Service (TS) restaurant. 1.0 points to POR. CSR and CBR resort also offer good food court and TS options, although not as extensive; 0.75 points. POFQ has the smallest food court and no TS option; 0.25 points.

Rooms - All 4 MRs have identically sized rooms (314 sq ft) with nearly identical layouts. POR gets the slight advantage because its standard room can accommodate a 5th guest; 1.0 points to POR, 0.75 points to the other 3 MRs. (CSR offers suites but the prices of these go well beyond the typical price associated with MRs.)

Price - Although the MRs are priced similarly, the small POFQ tends to have the fewest, least agressively priced discounts offered; 1.0 points to CBR, CSR, and POR, 0.75 points to POFQ.

Other - All four offer various forms of entertainment for families; 0.5 points to each resort. POR also offers water craft rental, water transportation to DTD, and Bob Jackson at the piano bar, an additional 0.5 points to POR. POFQ also offers water transportation to DTD, an additional 0.25 points to POFQ.

Summary

Adding the above, the results are:
  • POR - 7.00 points
  • CSR - 6.25 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.25 points
How do you rate the 4 MRs?

People have their favorites but which one is the best? Realistically, there is no such thing as 'best'. In this case, 'best' is a matter of preference. However, it might be interesting to try to objectively evaluate the four MRs.

Note: Although the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were reclassified as "Moderate" in 2008, these still are part of the unique Fort Wilderness campgrounds and don't fit neatly into any traditional Disney resort category. Therefore, they are not listed as an option in the poll.

Below is my attempt to rate the 4 resorts. (It's been several years since I last stayed at a couple; sorry if I forget something or if something has changed.) Please feel free to use whatever criteria you like.

Theming - All four resorts are extensively themed and well executed. Theming is consistent throughout the common areas, with plenty of lush vegetation. Which theming is 'best' primarily is a matter of taste. I award 1.0 point to each of the 4 MRs for this category.

Layout - POFQ is by far the smallest MR with all amenities within easy walking distance; 1.0 points. Although, POR is significantly larger, it's centrally located pool means it's a relatively easy walk from most rooms while the main building and food are still far from most rooms; 0.5 points. With large central lakes, most rooms are distant for the main facilities, 0.25 points to CBR and CSR.

Transportation - Compared to Deluxe or Value Resorts, bus transportation at the MRs are weak. However, accordingly to 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World', CSR has the best bus service of the four; 1.0 points to CSR, 0.5 to the other 3.

Pool - CSR and POR have large, interesting main pools with good water slides for children; 1.0 points to these 2 MRs. The main pool at CBR is slightly smaller and slightly less exotic; 0.75 points. The main pool at POFQ is significantly smaller with a water slide that's exciting for only the very young; 0.25 points.

Dining - POR has an excellent food court with a varied food selection and ample seating. POR also offers a good Table Service (TS) restaurant. 1.0 points to POR. CSR and CBR resort also offer good food court and TS options, although not as extensive; 0.75 points. POFQ has the smallest food court and no TS option; 0.25 points.

Rooms - All 4 MRs have identically sized rooms (314 sq ft) with nearly identical layouts. POR gets the slight advantage because its standard room can accommodate a 5th guest; 1.0 points to POR, 0.75 points to the other 3 MRs. (CSR offers suites but the prices of these go well beyond the typical price associated with MRs.)

Price - Although the MRs are priced similarly, the small POFQ tends to have the fewest, least agressively priced discounts offered; 1.0 points to CBR, CSR, and POR, 0.75 points to POFQ.

Other - All four offer various forms of entertainment for families; 0.5 points to each resort. POR also offers water craft rental, water transportation to DTD, and Bob Jackson at the piano bar, an additional 0.5 points to POR. POFQ also offers water transportation to DTD, an additional 0.25 points to POFQ.

Summary

• POR - 7.00 points
  • CSR - 6.25 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.25 points

While I really like the way you broke these things down, all categories are held equal, whereas personally layout and transportation are much more important for me, but dining options might be for someone else. Just a thought.

ParentsOf4

While I really like the way you broke these things down, all categories are held equal, whereas personally layout and transportation are much more important for me, but dining options might be for someone else. Just a thought.
Exactly. Picking a "best" Moderate (or any) Resort is subjective.

I tried to be analytical but, IMHO, everyone's favorite resort is not objective but arbitrary. Ultimately, people connect with a resort at an emotional level and, to them, that becomes the "best" resort.

ifuhadwings

Original Poster

Summary

• POR - 7.00 points
  • CSR - 6.25 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.25 points
Great. This is good. Better than the books.

ParentsOf4

What are DVC POINTS?
DVC = Disney Vacation Club

DVC "members" buy points at WDW that they can use every year at DVC resorts. If they don't use their points for a particular year, they can rent them out. There are several websites that specialize in helping DVC members rent their points. Most charge $13/point but point rentals can be found for less on, say, eBay. The nice thing about the websites is that several are well-established so the risk is low.

For example, a DVC "Studio" (basically a hotel room) costs 134 points to rent for a week in the summer at the Beach Club. At $13/point, that comes out to about $250/night, when a room normally costs over $400/night.

There usually are 3 downsides to renting DVC points:
  • DVC rooms book early. You'll need to plan 7-11 months ahead of time.
  • Most of the time, the room is nonrefundable. So you need to be very sure about your vacation plans.
  • There is no maid service and they change towels only after the 3rd night. (Full maid service after 7 nights.) We actually prefer this since we don't like having to straighten up for Mousekeeping.

ifuhadwings

Original Poster
DVC = Disney Vacation Club

DVC "members" buy points at WDW that they can use every year at DVC resorts. If they don't use their points for a particular year, they can rent them out. There are several websites that specialize in helping DVC members rent their points. Most charge $13/point but point rentals can be found for less on, say, eBay. The nice thing about the websites is that several are well-established so the risk is low.

For example, a DVC "Studio" (basically a hotel room) costs 134 points to rent for a week in the summer at the Beach Club. At $13/point, that comes out to about $250/night, when a room normally costs over $400/night.

There usually are 3 downsides to renting DVC points:
  • DVC rooms book early. You'll need to plan 7-11 months ahead of time.
  • Most of the time, the room is nonrefundable. So you need to be very sure about your vacation plans.
  • There is no maid service and they change towels only after the 3rd night. (Full maid service after 7 nights.) We actually prefer this since we don't like having to straighten up for the maid.
Sounds complicated. But maybe worth it to afford this.

R W B

I would say POFQ is my favorite. It's also the only one Ive stayed at but it would take the others a lot to impress me more. First of all, I live in New Orleans so I know how the French Quarter is and the theming of this resort is almost spot on, only difference is the resort smells alot better then the real thing lol. As far as walking distance everything is so close to all of the buildings, you really can't beat it for the price.

They share the same buses as Riverside and is quit in both resorts. They are next to each other. Can't go wrong with one of them.
Your not wrong but not 100% right either. It depends on the season/how busy they are if they share a bus. I went 3 months ago and stayed at POFQ for 6 nights and we shared a bus with POR 1 time leaving MK after some EMH and their was a combined 10 people for both resorts. Other then that, POFQ always had its own bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom