Mission: Space tragedy

The_CEO

strobe said:
When something like this happens to an innocent child, at the happiest place on earth, why is everyone speculating and bickering over it?

We would be doing it to a 40 year old male also. Just because he is a child, doesn't mean we are bickering over it for that reason. People will talk, we all want to know exactly happened also. * The Cause *. I was never trying to turn our friendship to dust Craig.

Burgstressera

I really don't think any one was bickering, Strobe, until you jumped in and started saying people were ignorant and should be ashamed.

People deal with tragity differently. I think what's happening here is everyone is trying to just deal and understand what happened - how could this happen, why did it happen, it's unfair, and so not right.

Disney is the happiest place on earth and some place that we all think of as a safe place - a haven away from all the horrible things that happen in this world. And here in the place we all run to escape life's difficulties and trama's something like this happens.

All of the people here are upset, feel for the family, are praying, and are wishing for answers and understanding.

Stop coming down on people and saying people are ignorant and should be ashamed. It's not right. Not to be rude - but if you don't like what people are saying - stop reading.

IWorkWTeeth

Being the Mother of a 10 yr. old boy and a 6 yr. old girl, would NOT ALLOW my 4 yr. old child to ride Mission Space under any circumstances! Yes, it could have been an underlying condition that nobody knew about. (although the autopsy came back clear) There are reasons why signs are posted all over MS and other rough rides........to keep yourself safe and healthy. My heart goes out to this family who lost their little boy at "The Happiest Place on Earth". Hopefully Disney will do everything in their power to help this family during this difficult time and hopefully the family will realize that things happen and Disney is not to blame for their tragedy.

strobe

Burgstressera said:
I really don't think any one was bickering, Strobe, until you jumped in and started saying people were ignorant and should be ashamed.

People deal with tragity differently. I think what's happening here is everyone is trying to just deal and understand what happened - how could this happen, why did it happen, it's unfair, and so not right.

Disney is the happiest place on earth and some place that we all think of as a safe place - a haven away from all the horrible things that happen in this world. And here in the place we all run to escape life's difficulties and trama's something like this happens.

All of the people here are upset, feel for the family, are praying, and are wishing for answers and understanding.

Stop coming down on people and saying people are ignorant and should be ashamed. It's not right. Not to be rude - but if you don't like what people are saying - stop reading.

Actually, a very good post, and you make some good points. Thanks.

However, I didn't call anyone igorant - they called me (or my post) that. I plead guilty to saying that people should be ashamed. I still stand by that statement for a few posters.

The stop reading comment works both ways, we all have our opinions. Some of you make good points, and I admit I may have been too sweeping in my initial statements. But overall, I still think it's wrong. I have a right to express that. I've been here plenty long enough to earn that right.

Burgstressera, I agree with most of what you said, you make a lot of sense. But please don't try to tell me how to post in terms of coming down on people, etc. I write what I want, and I always have. Sometimes everyone loves what I say, and sometimes they hate it. But as a writer, I have no intentions on changing my style. Just as you said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

KingStefan

TiggerificChick said:
I just wanted to publicly apologize to TiggerificChick, because in re-reading an ealier post (which I now cannot find) I thought that I was a bit rude. Emotions run high when there is a tragic death. Sorry

KingStefan

S_Grise said:
I've tried very hard to NOT contribute to the negativity in this thread, but I simply cannot keep quiet about this. Those of us who have been reading every post of this thread HAVE seen King Stephan's full opinion posted clearly and plainly for all to see/read. Because this thread has become so huge, you probably missed some of what was said earlier on.
Thanks, S_Grise, for your support. I really do appreciate it, and in fact, I'm flattered. On the other hand, I'm sure Slade didn't mean anything, and I'm really not offended.

Slipknot

KingStefan said:
Thanks, S_Grise, for your support. I really do appreciate it, and in fact, I'm flattered. On the other hand, I'm sure Slade didn't mean anything, and I'm really not offended.

And I wasn't trying to offend anyone. All I was saying was that you (KingStefan) could say more than just "I agree with you" and "you beat me to it." Add to the post you agree with or disagree with. Sorry if I missed your post with your opinions. :wave:

peter11435

although the autopsy came back clear

I just wanted to point out that the autopsy did not come back clear. This was a preliminary autopsy that found no signs of trauma or obvious cause of death. They are now performing a full autopsy that could take as much as 12 weeks. This will find if there was any pre-existing condition, and the exact cause of death.

strobe

The_CEO said:
Children die everyday of starvation. Should we all walk around with our heads low?

I don't think we should live in sorrow, but I think we should all take the time to hang our heads low at least once a day and say a prayer for those in need.

Burgstressera

Strobe, I was just referring to the comments directed to people that said things about "Ambulance Chasers" and the below comment directed to peter11435:

"REALLY? How in the heck do you plan on doing that - through rumor and speculation? Geez - we could save tax payers a whole bunch of money, and just tell the police and medical examiner to halt their investigations right now. Peter11435 is on the case, and he'll have the whole thing figured out in a jiffy."

I'm not telling you how to post - post what you want. I'm just saying you seem really stressed out and irritated by what people are posting. I don't necessarily agree with everything every is posting either - but I'm not getting nasty and sarcastic about it. This is a tough situation here - one that is bound to lead to heated discussions and maybe hurt feelings.

I understand how you are feeling and agree with a lot of what you said. I understand that you were trying to make a point about how this is about a boy and his family. Not about Disney and our pride as Disney lovers. Or about who's fault it is or how it happened. But I think even you lost yourself here - it wound up about you and what people were saying about you and your opinion. This isn't about you, me, or anyone else here posting. This isn't about who's fault it is, the media, ambulance chasers or any of that. This is about a boy and his family and a horrible occurance that we all pray will never happen again.

Disney's about dreams and wishes. So please just for a minute have a dream and make a wish that this child is someplace better. Don't fight about it, don't try to figure it out, or even try to understand why - because we could type a million posts and debate til next year. But one thing will still remain a boy died - in a place that death and sadness should never even be thought of.

strobe

Burgstressera said:
Strobe, I was just referring to the comments directed to people that said things about "Ambulance Chasers" and the below comment directed to peter11435:

"REALLY? How in the heck do you plan on doing that - through rumor and speculation? Geez - we could save tax payers a whole bunch of money, and just tell the police and medical examiner to halt their investigations right now. Peter11435 is on the case, and he'll have the whole thing figured out in a jiffy."

I'm not telling you how to post - post what you want. I'm just saying you seem really stressed out and irritated by what people are posting. I don't necessarily agree with everything every is posting either - but I'm not getting nasty and sarcastic about it. This is a tough situation here - one that is bound to lead to heated discussions and maybe hurt feelings.

I understand how you are feeling and agree with a lot of what you said. I understand that you were trying to make a point about how this is about a boy and his family. Not about Disney and our pride as Disney lovers. Or about who's fault it is or how it happened. But I think even you lost yourself here - it wound up about you and what people were saying about you and your opinion. This isn't about you, me, or anyone else here posting. This isn't about who's fault it is, the media, ambulance chasers or any of that. This is about a boy and his family and a horrible occurance that we all pray will never happen again.

Disney's about dreams and wishes. So please just for a minute have a dream and make a wish that this child is someplace better. Don't fight about it, don't try to figure it out, or even try to understand why - because we could type a million posts and debate til next year. But one thing will still remain a boy died - in a place that death and sadness should never even be thought of.

Agreed and Understood. However, I still hold my opinion for that handful of posters.

Your last paragraph says everything that needs to be said. Excellent post.

--Craig

PS - Welcome to Magic. :wave:

Shaman

[font=Arial, Helvetica]From The Orlando Sentinel:

Disney employees attempted CPR in boy's death
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]By Jerry Jackson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 15, 2005, 4:01 PM EDT

When a 4-year-old boy collapsed and died after riding Mission: Space at Epcot this week, two of the first Disney employees his mother encountered as she carried his limp body from the ride were trained in CPR, according to an Orange County Sheriff's Department report.

Neither Alejandro Barroso nor his supervisor Scott Clark could revive Daudi Bamuwamye. Paramedics took over within minutes, continuing efforts to revive the child enroute to Celebration Hospital, where he was declared dead Monday afternoon. An autopsy continues.

But industry experts said today the fact that CPR-trained employees were on the scene and could start life-saving efforts within minutes reflects the heightened attention to safety and training at amusement parks nationwide.

"Most of the parks have increased their safety awareness and redoubled efforts in training and staffing in recent years," said James O. Barber, an independent industry consultant who spent 30 years as a ride safety inspector in New York.

While Florida's big parks are exempt from state-mandated ride inspections, Disney, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld are considered industry leaders in safety, with extensive training programs, heart defibrillators on site and focus on safety of guests and employees.

[/font]

Elonwy

i think people on this board should be aware that they may be contributing to the very thing they are complaining about.

Obviously I'm speaking broadly here and not in specifics but I've seen many posts complaining about problems with the media's distortion of the facts, as well as berating each other for interpretations on how this tragedy occured.

Unfortunately an event such as this involves a lot of different emotions for different people but I've seen many people potray things on this site as "fact" when it simply cannot be so.

An autopsy is not complete so NO ONE KNOWS HOW THE BOY DIED. Stop getting angry with Disney, the mother, the boy or each other.

Also, I've seen some people say that the parents admitted a previous medical condition but the only information I've seen on this was quotes in the media from supposed neighbors. though I'm a little biased here, as when I sufferred a tragedy in my family, a neighbor for 16 years indicated that my brother was to blame (I don't have a brother) so I'm a little distrustful of nieghbors who jump at the chance to get 15 minutes of fame from a tragedy.

If anyone has any concrete proof of these items I would like to see them

Otherwise please realize that some people will actually believe everything that they read...don't be part of the problem. I support the discussion, the debate and opinions as long as they ARE labelled as such.

angelofitaly69

I would like to add my two cents. There is no such thing as a happy tragedy. No matter who is to blame, there is something most forgot here. There is a family who lost a child. Weather it be an act of God or an accident, that will not change the fact a child died. I'm sorry if I sound heart-less but fighting about who is to blame is BS.

speck76

angelofitaly69 said:
I would like to add my two cents. There is no such thing as a happy tragedy. No matter who is to blame, there is something most forgot here. There is a family who lost a child. Weather it be an act of God or an accident, that will not change the fact a child died. I'm sorry if I sound heart-less but fighting about who is to blame is BS.

I personally did not forget that.....it is just not a tragedy to me more than the motorcyclist that died yesterday in a car crash 5 miles from WDW, or the child that died because they were left in a hot car yesterday in Alabama....

None of these people mean anything to me. I don't know them, they don't know me. I certainly do not envy the parents, but I am not about to walk around in mourning because "someone died"

Death happens.....it is something that we all have in common....it is the tie that binds....eventually, everything and everyone dies....

McArcDes

I dont care about "who's fault it is", if the boy did or did not have pre-existing medical conditions, should Disney close the ride, keep it open or modify it. Should or should'nt his mom put him on the ride, if its Gods will or the devils fault. All of those things to me are meaningless.

All I can think of about this is this little boy will never learn to ride a bike, go to school, play baseball or any other sports for that matter, have his first crush, his first kiss, get married, have kids of his own and share the joy and excitment of rasing them and on and on.....All of the things we take for granted.

This family will NEVER get over this. Just think, every time they hear the name Disney the first thing they will think of is losing this precious part of their family.

I am a parent of 4 children. My BIGGEST fear by far is that something happens to one or all of them. I know I would NEVER, NEVER, EVER get over it.

I feel for the family and friends of this little boy. To them his loss is immeasurable I am sure. My thoughts and prayers are with all of them as well as the cast members that were right there and did their best to help him. How terrible they must feel. My thoughts and prayers are with them too.

I want to some how close this post, but, I don't know what I could say that be fitting enough....

angelofitaly69

speck76 said:
I personally did not forget that.....it is just not a tragedy to me more than the motorcyclist that died yesterday in a car crash 5 miles from WDW, or the child that died because they were left in a hot car yesterday in Alabama....

None of these people mean anything to me. I don't know them, they don't know me. I certainly do not envy the parents, but I am not about to walk around in mourning because "someone died"

Death happens.....it is something that we all have in common....it is the tie that binds....eventually, everything and everyone dies....

Speck please understand I was not personally addressing you. I was just saying in general. I don't think the world should stop because someone died. I know death happens. I work in fire and EMS. All I was meaning is thatno matter how much we point fingers or try to figure out what happen, it doesn't change what happen. I pesonally have not tried to guess what happened. Does it effect everyday life? NO! Does it change my feelings about riding the ride? No! I just don't want to fight about something that no one can change. I'm sorry if my first post offended you but I honestly was not directing it at anyone person in particular.

DisneyInTN

On a different note, and in response to OBJRs post above, I want to applaud the CMs for their attempt to revive the boy. I find it heroic that these CMs did not panic and followed through with their training to the best of their abilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom