Mine Ride Construction Update

Mawg

I'm getting a little tired of people discussing the queue and show scenes here, they should each get their own thread. So....how bout those animatronics?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It still seems to be more about looks. Also, Disney is pretty much out of the animatronics game. The vast majority of figures are now built by Garner Holt Productions but Disney never admits to others being involved.
I think it is all about looks. The show scenes will have figures that look good;)

I don't get too caught up in where the parts come from. It's how the show scenes are put together that matters. If what these guys are saying is true and isn't overly exaggerated the AAs will be impressive (at least to some people).

lazyboy97o

I'm getting a little tired of people discussing the queue and show scenes here, they should each get their own thread. So....how bout those animatronics?
Construction is pretty much done.

I think it is all about looks. The show scenes will have figures that look good;)

I don't get too caught up in where the parts come from. It's how the show scenes are put together that matters. If what these guys are saying is true and isn't overly exaggerated the AAs will be impressive (at least to some people).
There is something about legacy that makes the outsourcing sad, but I also think Garner Holt Productions does fine work.

I think this gets back to this long running issue of over-hyping the attraction. It can be a good, solid attraction and still not be a revolution in themed entertainment. I know a lot of people talk about how the Magic Kingdom has not seen a new E-Ticket since 1992, but I am one who thinks most of the parks in central Florida need more solid, smaller attractions. I have my issues with the design, organization and costs of New Fantasyland but I do not think it needed an E-Ticket, especially since the goal was to handle existing crowds and not attract new ones.

kap91

Yes, while I like Lumiere it doesn't take long to see his arm supports and it really kills the effect once you do find it.
Maybe it's just because I've only seen the attraction a couple times as I'm not terribly fond of it, but I'm usually pretty good at spotting how effects work and have noticed nothing.

Scuttle

I never noticed it and I would assume most WDW vacationers will never notice it either. Regardless, it is very well done as is the doorway from the cottage into the castle.

I never noticed his arm supports, so your comments 'really kills the effect' for a lot of us. There should be some sort of 'spoiler' alert for the dwindling numbers of us who still enjoy the magic of these attractions. :)
The mirror is an incredible effect I give you that.

Scuttle

Yep. Some people go to the park specifically to look for minute flaws. It's bizarre and sad.
Same can be said for people that are so clueless that they think everything is Disney magic and that no flaws exist when your on the magic land.

Btw I've experienced Ecnchanted tales with Belle once and I could notice the effect in under a minute. What else is there to look at? Cutouts?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Content verses appearance, never ending battle. IMHO the appearance of the whole area is very nice. The Tales with Belle special effects and queue area are wonderful, as to the content of the "performance" with the cardboard cutouts and pacing .. meh. Ariel's queue in places is much better than places in the ride itsself, like the Sábado Gigante grand musical show room just past Flotsam and Jetsam reminds me of a brightly colored dishwasher.

midwest_mice

Construction is pretty much done.

There is something about legacy that makes the outsourcing sad, but I also think Garner Holt Productions does fine work.

I think this gets back to this long running issue of over-hyping the attraction. It can be a good, solid attraction and still not be a revolution in themed entertainment. I know a lot of people talk about how the Magic Kingdom has not seen a new E-Ticket since 1992, but I am one who thinks most of the parks in central Florida need more solid, smaller attractions. I have my issues with the design, organization and costs of New Fantasyland but I do not think it needed an E-Ticket, especially since the goal was to handle existing crowds and not attract new ones.
I hopped on their website and looked at their portfolio. There are a good number of Disney AA's on there. I still think Disney probably does the initial design work for the AA's and then passes what they specifically want on to them. Much like most of the construction, they design it, and then have outside contractor's make it happen.

Bocabear

I know a lot of people talk about how the Magic Kingdom has not seen a new E-Ticket since 1992, but I am one who thinks most of the parks in central Florida need more solid, smaller attractions. I have my issues with the design, organization and costs of New Fantasyland but I do not think it needed an E-Ticket, especially since the goal was to handle existing crowds and not attract new ones.

I disagree. We lost a solid original E ticket in the Magic Kingdom when the Submarines went out of service...there was never a replacement for that... I think Fantasyland needs and deserves an E ticket to balance the park...At least one E ticket in each land...

Jabbas

Everytime I see pictures of the the rollercoaster I think of the "Once Upon a time" TV show and I hear that sappy music playing in the background everytime Snow and Charming have a "moment".

orky8

I know a lot of people talk about how the Magic Kingdom has not seen a new E-Ticket since 1992, but I am one who thinks most of the parks in central Florida need more solid, smaller attractions. I have my issues with the design, organization and costs of New Fantasyland but I do not think it needed an E-Ticket, especially since the goal was to handle existing crowds and not attract new ones.

I disagree. We lost a solid original E ticket in the Magic Kingdom when the Submarines went out of service...there was never a replacement for that... I think Fantasyland needs and deserves an E ticket to balance the park...At least one E ticket in each land...

Aside from ride length, though, I think this an "E ticket" for fantasyland. I don't think the subs would qualify as an "E" today any more than the mine train. We'll have to see when it opens, though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Technically Splash Mountain opening replaced 20,000 Leagues so the number of E tickets has been constant since BTMRR opened in 1980 (except for the 2 years when both Splash and the subs were open between 10/92 and 9/94). Not saying that's something to be proud of, just a fact.

On the idea of an e-ticket per land I think the general popularity and long lines of some Fantasyland rides makes the area more congested even without a true e-ticket. If they were going to add a new e-ticket my vote would be Adventureland or Tomorrowland to help redistribute crowds a little better.

spacemt354

Chili's
Aside from ride length, though, I think this an "E ticket" for fantasyland. I don't think the subs would qualify as an "E" today any more than the mine train. We'll have to see when it opens, though.

Everyone's "E-ticket" calculation differs. I don't know why we still use those terms when they are basically opinion and the only rubric we have to go by in regards to what qualifies an E-ticket is from the 70s, and needless to say, is a tad outdated.

I agree, I don't think the subs would be an E-ticket more than the mine train. Where I disagree (not with you just in general) in regards to the argument that the Magic Kingdom has not gotten substantial improvements since 1992. Have they gotten Splash Mountain 2.0? No. But additions and refurbs over the last 20 years shouldn't go unnoticed or unmentioned.

Magic Kingdom doesn't need Splash 2.0 to be successful. Personally, it's already crowded as it is, I'd rather have more "E-tickets" added to the 3 other parks around WDW. The Magic Kingdom (and the rest of the Magic Kingdom resort area imo) has to live up to the "most popular theme park" through mainly maintenance, aesthetic upkeep, and crowd management. Meaning, attractions should be running to the best of their abilities, the park and its surrounding resorts should be kept in tip-top shape, and crowds have enough places to go so that Splash isn't always 120 min wait.

Might sound contradictory to the "WDW needs more E-tickets to compete with Uni" debate, but this is specifically regarding the Magic Kingdom. The MK is in a league of its own. Uni is not catching it in terms of popularity, not for a while at least. So in that respect I think 7DMT will be a nice addition to a theme park that needs nice additions, not necessarily E-ticket additions.

Might have been a roundabout way of saying I agree with you lol, but that's how I view the situation as a whole.

orky8

Everyone's "E-ticket" calculation differs. I don't know why we still use those terms when they are basically opinion and the only rubric we have to go by in regards to what qualifies an E-ticket is from the 70s, and needless to say, is a tad outdated.

I agree, I don't think the subs would be an E-ticket more than the mine train. Where I disagree (not with you just in general) in regards to the argument that the Magic Kingdom has not gotten substantial improvements since 1992. Have they gotten Splash Mountain 2.0? No. But additions and refurbs over the last 20 years shouldn't go unnoticed or unmentioned.

Magic Kingdom doesn't need Splash 2.0 to be successful. Personally, it's already crowded as it is, I'd rather have more "E-tickets" added to the 3 other parks around WDW. The Magic Kingdom (and the rest of the Magic Kingdom resort area imo) has to live up to the "most popular theme park" through mainly maintenance, aesthetic upkeep, and crowd management. Meaning, attractions should be running to the best of their abilities, the park and its surrounding resorts should be kept in tip-top shape, and crowds have enough places to go so that Splash isn't always 120 min wait.

Might sound contradictory to the "WDW needs more E-tickets to compete with Uni" debate, but this is specifically regarding the Magic Kingdom. The MK is in a league of its own. Uni is not catching it in terms of popularity, not for a while at least. So in that respect I think 7DMT will be a nice addition to a theme park that needs nice additions, not necessarily E-ticket additions.

Might have been a roundabout way of saying I agree with you lol, but that's how I view the situation as a whole.

Yes, the E-ticket thing is horribly outdated and entirely subjective. No one credibly disputes that if we still had tickets, the Mine Train would cost an E Ticket.

With regard to MK, just because the other parks need additions more (much more, we agree), that doesn't mean MK isn't in need of fresh blood. I agree that New Fantasyland was actually the correct addition to give this infusion and, more importantly, add capacity. It's unfortunate that its the only major thing of substance in 20 years, though MK has seen its fair share of minor additions throughout the years. People just have a pent up need for more because MK should get a new "E Ticket" every 5-10 years, IMO, and has been lacking for too long. The real test is what's next for MK, if they stop with New Fantasyland, then the issues are only going to get worse.

What they need to do, IMO, is add immersive (but not necessarily thrilling - think POTC and HM, not RnR) to the other parks to help boost their draw and time consumption and take the pressure of MK. But, they are so far behind the ball with this, and nothing appears close to being green lit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom