Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist (feedback welcome)

mharrington

Original Poster
After the explosion, you find yourself in a circular room, where that black storm of moments before brought with it a tornado (similar to "The Band Concert"). Here, you see Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pete all caught up in the fury of the monster whirlwind as all manner of other random junk fly about everywhere, too, while the William Tell Storm plays in the background, sounding like how it does on the Silly Symphony Swings ride (until about 0:30):

At the height, Mickey grabs the Sorcerer's Crest flying around and through some spell (not really audible in the maelstrom) changes everything back to colorfully normal! As this happens, everyone falls back to earth (using an effect similar to the "falling" effect in Roger Rabbit), Goofy uttering his iconic holler, and land in the water. You see Pete swimming for his life being chased by no less than three things, each one with one of the trio there: Mickey at the controls of the steamboat from "Steamboat Willie" (wearing his iconic boat cap, obviously), Donald atop an enraged whale (from "The Whalers"), and Goofy surfing a tidal wave (similar to "Hawaiian Holiday").

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

mharrington

Original Poster
At the next scene, Pete is hanging by the boat hook from the steamboat as the trio appear on the shore. With the Sorcerer's Crest around Mickey's neck, they head back to what appears to be Mickey's house but is really the museum exhibit. There, they all say goodbye to the guests as they return to the unload area and exit.

So ends "Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist" at WDW's Magic Kingdom. What did you think of it? Please provide me with some feedback on this!

mharrington

Original Poster
I have decided to do a rethink of the concept. Due to the fact that the main entrance to the Utilidors is right in the spot where I was planning to put the ride, I decided that it will now go over on Main Street. It will now be themed to a new Main Street Cinema, which means a change to the ride theme. Anyway, it will go over along the end of Main Street, over in the spot where the often-hidden Plaza Restaurant and nearby Tomorrowland Terrace both are (a new restaurant will be put up elsewhere, probably over at the Tomorrowland Theater, another "twilight" space). This way there will hopefully be some space to put it in.

I also think that "Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist" needs a new name. Does anyone have any ideas?

The90skid

I have decided to do a rethink of the concept. Due to the fact that the main entrance to the Utilidors is right in the spot where I was planning to put the ride, I decided that it will now go over on Main Street. It will now be themed to a new Main Street Cinema, which means a change to the ride theme. Anyway, it will go over along the end of Main Street, over in the spot where the often-hidden Plaza Restaurant and nearby Tomorrowland Terrace both are (a new restaurant will be put up elsewhere, probably over at the Tomorrowland Theater, another "twilight" space). This way there will hopefully be some space to put it in.

I also think that "Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist" needs a new name. Does anyone have any ideas?
I really like this ride idea! Here's my name suggestions: Mickey's Color Tour; The Colorwheel; Mickey's Wonderful World of Color. I personally like the last one best, but hopefully these ideas might help you! Keep up the good work! :)

mharrington

Original Poster
I really like this ride idea! Here's my name suggestions: Mickey's Color Tour; The Colorwheel; Mickey's Wonderful World of Color. I personally like the last one best, but hopefully these ideas might help you! Keep up the good work! :)

I'm sorry, I meant to respond sooner. I think that "Wonderful World of Color" is great, too. I never would have thought of that. I like how it's a small shout-out to the Wonderful World of Color TV show.

Chris82

Nice! I like the idea of a dark ride taking you back to the zanier days of early Mickey cartoons... the only thing is, if I were going to put it somewhere in WDW, I would definitely consider putting it at Hollywood Studios. I feel like it would be a really great fit with the old Hollywood theming. Maybe the "Hollywood section" could expand into the current Animation Courtyard, the area could be themed into the 1930's past, and a Mickey cartoon dark ride could sit where the Magic of Disney Animation used to, and the Star Wars whatever-it-is is going to...

mharrington

Original Poster
Nice! I like the idea of a dark ride taking you back to the zanier days of early Mickey cartoons... the only thing is, if I were going to put it somewhere in WDW, I would definitely consider putting it at Hollywood Studios. I feel like it would be a really great fit with the old Hollywood theming. Maybe the "Hollywood section" could expand into the current Animation Courtyard, the area could be themed into the 1930's past, and a Mickey cartoon dark ride could sit where the Magic of Disney Animation used to, and the Star Wars whatever-it-is is going to...

I don't know, I just don't feel as though the studio stigma can be removed no matter what. This is just me, but it'll always feel like a studio park to me. I heard it would be getting a new name, but no one knows what it is yet. We do know it's going to get a Star Wars land and a Toy Story land, but we don't know where they are going.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I would think that Star Wars would go over where the Animation thing is now, which would obviate the use of this for the Mickey area. The Launch Bay is already taking over the Animation building, albeit temporarily. And the Toy Story midway ride is really a hop, a skip and a jump away from the old Animation area, and it was semi-confirmed that the Toy Story land would be built around that, if the indications of a third track to go along with the first two are any indication. As it is, the Studios has become a "miscellaneous" park, and I don't want this to happen to my Mickey ride. I'd rather not have Mickey and the gang represented at WDW largely by way of a secondary park like the Studios.

Besides, this ride of mine represents a simpler time. And also, this would make the Magic Kingdom one of the few castle parks whose Main Street actually has something worthwhile, besides just vehicles and trains and shopping every which way you look. The other alternative, one that I haven't entirely dismissed yet, is to build a Toontown-type land in the Magic Kingdom, out beyond the Rivers of America, similar to what they're doing with Star Wars in Disneyland, but with different stuff, obviously, and put this dark ride in over there. The only real obstacle to this idea of mine is Storybook Circus, which has a kiddie coaster and, in my plans, would also have a Donald-themed spinner (representing a circus gig of his own) and, of course, the Mickey's circus dark ride, not to mention have meet-n-greets of classic characters (besides the Fab Six) over there.

Chris82

I've always loved the Studios, but I guess my view of the park basically froze after they added Tower of Terror... DHS may have become a "miscellaneous" park, but I feel like the raw materials are still there for it be as excellent and immersive a themed experience as any.

Should they decide in one of their upcoming "phases" to expand and develop the 1930's-40's theming of the park, however, (which they absolutely should) an old Mickey dark ride could definitely fit in with those plans ;)

mharrington

Original Poster
Should they decide in one of their upcoming "phases" to expand and develop the 1930's-40's theming of the park, however, (which they absolutely should) an old Mickey dark ride could definitely fit in with those plans ;)

I don't think there are any such plans at this time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom