Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist (feedback welcome)

mharrington

Original Poster
So would the average person know that, or would it need to just be briefly explained at the beginning? Or would it just be self-evident?

It will be explained in the queue. Now, what do you think of the first scene itself, all black and white in Mickey's house? And what did you think of my idea for decking it out for Christmas when it rolls around?

spacemt354

Chili's
It will be explained in the queue. Now, what do you think of the first scene itself, all black and white in Mickey's house? And what did you think of my idea for decking it out for Christmas when it rolls around?
Christmas would be great!

Mickey's House would be a good jumping off point for the first scene too.

Tony the Tigger

Although the very first scene I would think should be color first. If you're just starting out in black-and-white, there's been no loss of anything, unless you are establishing that loss in the queue.

More exciting in my opinion to do the classic Disney "somethings gone wrong" as they do with so many attractions. So start out in color, then it goes black, then when the lights come back on everything is in black-and-white. And now we clearly have to get the color back.

spacemt354

Chili's
Although the very first scene I would think should be color first. If you're just starting out in black-and-white, there's been no loss of anything, unless you are establishing that loss in the queue.

More exciting in my opinion to do the classic Disney "somethings gone wrong" as they do with so many attractions. So start out in color, then it goes black, then when the lights come back on everything is in black-and-white. And now we clearly have to get the color back.
That's true too...especially with "colorfully" being in the title of the attraction.

Maybe someone like Pete like you had said "steals" the color and then you go through the scenes trying to get the color back. But it would be a good establishment scene to maybe start out in color?

Matt7187

I really like what you have going right now! I think it could be pretty cool if the riders got the opportunity to use against brush a la a Buzz/TSMM system where you can "paint" different scenes whatever color you want using a touch screen on your brush. I'm not sure how interactive you are planning for the ride, but I think it would be pretty cool

Tony the Tigger

I really like what you have going right now! I think it could be pretty cool if the riders got the opportunity to use against brush a la a Buzz/TSMM system where you can "paint" different scenes whatever color you want using a touch screen on your brush. I'm not sure how interactive you are planning for the ride, but I think it would be pretty cool

Yes...but...we want to avoid the criticism of Little Mermaid being the new Nemo, etc.

Matt7187

Yes...but...we want to avoid the criticism of Little Mermaid being the new Nemo, etc.
I see, but what I was thinking is not having targets or anything, no score being kept, just having some fun painting the scenes however you want (ex. Painting Mickey's shorts green and his ears blue). Just a thought

Tony the Tigger

I see, but what I was thinking is not having targets or anything, no score being kept, just having some fun painting the scenes however you want (ex. Painting Mickey's shorts green and his ears blue). Just a thought

Gotcha! And every ride would be a little different, then.

mharrington

Original Poster

It would be interactive like my planned update to Goofy's house in Mickey's Toontown, which would be an expanded version of Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse, where you would paint not just one room, but at least two or three.

Did the Monsters Inc. ride at Tokyo Disneyland have a point system? I hope not, because that's what I'm going for here.

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, continuing on with the ride now...

Heading out of Mickey's black-and-white house, you find yourself with Mickey (solid black eyes and white shorts), Donald (long beak and black webbed feet) and Goofy (as Dippy Dawg) as they notice themselves on a crazy city street, all in black-and-white. It is just as Mickey had feared: with the world now in black-and-white, thanks to the loss of the Sorcerer's Crest, everything is topsy-turvy! Mickey instructs everyone to follow him as they search for Pete and the Sorcerer's Crest, and in the meantime to keep using your MagiColorer paintbrushes to recolor in some stuff yourself. When you do, you see spots of color on your target; the more you fire at your target, the more you color it in.

As you follow the trio along, they split up to each try and find the thief on his own. As this happens, they each run into a separate vignette from a classic black-and-white Mickey short, each set up as a different scene. First, you run across a vignette themed to "Building a Building" (1933): while a building is under construction in the background a steam shovel digging up dirt and throwing it everywhere - including, if neither are careful, you and Mickey, who is there with you. It is based on this scene in the cartoon (from 1:52 to 2:02):

Next, you go by Donald and another building, this one on fire (with residents and furniture already outside, having been evacuated), as seen in "The Fire Fighters" (1930):
tumblr_n7ajcroFGI1s2wio8o1_400.gif

As in the shot above, the building sways back and forth, while Donald tries to dodge the flames. One small spark accidentally hits him in the tailfeathers and he runs off squawking and finally putting out the fire on his tail in a nearby fire hydrant, whose water spews out but not quite reaching the burning building. The idea of Donald here also references "Mickey's Fire Brigade".

Finally, you run across a car repair lot, as in "Mickey's Service Station" (1935). Here, Goofy tries to dodge suddenly-animated inanimate objects: raising and lowering lifts with broken-apart cars on them, bouncing wheels, malfunctioning auto equipment, wires running everywhere with electrical surges (which Goofy tries but fails to avoid and gets zapped, revealing his skeleton under his skin), and most of all, car engines attached to hoses, similar to dogs on leashes, that lash out at you, also like dogs. It's similar to the Epic Mickey stage themed to the cartoon:

Oh, and there's also a bit of trivia here in this third scene: based on Disneyland's Roger Rabbit, there is a wall adorned with Disney-themed license plates, such as CAP 10 HK, 101 DLMN, L MERM8 and 1E D PU.

As you leave the service station lot, you come across Mickey, Donald and Goofy again as they all complain about getting bombarded and not finding Pete or the Crest. Then they hear Pete's sinister laugh again as it comes from the wharf! You follow the trio as they head there.

What do you think so far?

mharrington

Original Poster
Arriving at the wharf, you and the trio spot the iconic steamboat from "Steamboat Willie", with Pete at the controls as he floats off downstream with the Sorcerer's Crest in hand. The escape scene is based on this scene in Kingdom Hearts 2 (at 20:57):

Your paint can ride vehicle goes into the water while the trio remains on the edge of the shore. You follow the steamboat under a railroad trestle with the train from "Mickey's Choo-Choo" (1929) crossing over it. But that's not all: the steamroller from "Mickey's Steamroller" (1934) accidentally runs into the trestle, knocking it down like a house of cards (just after the train passes)! Fortunately, you pass by it in the nick of time.

Thoughts, comments, concerns? Please provide me with some feedback on what you think!

mharrington

Original Poster
Before I go on, I want to provide some ideas for the queue: Mickey and friends have opened up the Fantasyland Museum. The queue is similar to the load area for Tokyo Disneyland's Mickey's PhilharMagic, with little glass displays of classic short "props", such as the steering wheel from "Steamboat Willie" and the Sorcerer's hat from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". Also featured are various paintings of Disney characters, including one whole section on Donald Duck paintings that are spoofs of classic paintings by Gainsborough, Whistler, Degas, Rembrandt and others. In fact, many of these pieces are from Minnie's Country House from the long-gone Toontown Fair (unless they have been completely scrapped following its closure, in which case, they will be reproduced). There is a plaque that thanks Minnie for the donation of these pieces. At the end, you come across the Sorcerer's Crest, Mickey and the gang's pride and joy. They explain that it is a great source of their great and colorful museum's power and it can take them to the timeless world of old shorts whenever they want. But they only go there once in a while, because it is such a crazy world back then and things have changed. You then board your vehicle and go into the newest exhibit: setups of old shorts.

---

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's move on with the ride itself...

Passing below the falling bridge, you head into the great unknown beyond. You see the trio in a raft beside you as they paddle along into a jungle at the opposite shore. A swordfish has jammed itself in the raft and furiously tries to push the raft forward with ramming speed toward this jungle. Here, you find brief vignettes of both "Jungle Rhythm" (1929) and "The Castaway" (1931) at the same time. Featured below are the two shorts:

Here are a few of the vignettes from both cartoons featured:
  • Spiders that raise and lower at will
  • An angry gorilla holding a rock menacingly as if to throw it at you as it frustratingly plays a piano with little ease
  • Three turtles with Mickey, Donald and Goofy all on their backs as they float downriver
  • An accordion hanging from an elephant's tail as a monkey pulls on it while a parrot dances on its keys, creating music
  • A run-in with a lion and a grizzly bear
But there's no sign of Pete or the steamboat anywhere, much less the Sorcerer's Crest. Worst of all, you are right between the lion and the bear as they both growl at you, forcing a hasty retreat. The bear is actually a link between the jungle and a woodsy forest. You run into these woods with Mickey's group, where they are chased by a moose (as in "The Moose Hunt" (1931) and "Moose Hunters" (1937)), bellowing furiously and trying literally to grab you with its antlers. Then you hear the sinister laugh of Pete's once again as you arrive at a clearing. You go through a "road closed" sign...

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

TheKarnivalKid

Before I go on, I want to provide some ideas for the queue: Mickey and friends have opened up the Fantasyland Museum. The queue is similar to the load area for Tokyo Disneyland's Mickey's PhilharMagic, with little glass displays of classic short "props", such as the steering wheel from "Steamboat Willie" and the Sorcerer's hat from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". Also featured are various paintings of Disney characters, including one whole section on Donald Duck paintings that are spoofs of classic paintings by Gainsborough, Whistler, Degas, Rembrandt and others. In fact, many of these pieces are from Minnie's Country House from the long-gone Toontown Fair (unless they have been completely scrapped following its closure, in which case, they will be reproduced). There is a plaque that thanks Minnie for the donation of these pieces. At the end, you come across the Sorcerer's Crest, Mickey and the gang's pride and joy. They explain that it is a great source of their great and colorful museum's power and it can take them to the timeless world of old shorts whenever they want. But they only go there once in a while, because it is such a crazy world back then and things have changed. You then board your vehicle and go into the newest exhibit: setups of old shorts.

---

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's move on with the ride itself...

Passing below the falling bridge, you head into the great unknown beyond. You see the trio in a raft beside you as they paddle along into a jungle at the opposite shore. A swordfish has jammed itself in the raft and furiously tries to push the raft forward with ramming speed toward this jungle. Here, you find brief vignettes of both "Jungle Rhythm" (1929) and "The Castaway" (1931) at the same time. Featured below are the two shorts:

Here are a few of the vignettes from both cartoons featured:
  • Spiders that raise and lower at will
  • An angry gorilla holding a rock menacingly as if to throw it at you as it frustratingly plays a piano with little ease
  • Three turtles with Mickey, Donald and Goofy all on their backs as they float downriver
  • An accordion hanging from an elephant's tail as a monkey pulls on it while a parrot dances on its keys, creating music
  • A run-in with a lion and a grizzly bear
But there's no sign of Pete or the steamboat anywhere, much less the Sorcerer's Crest. Worst of all, you are right between the lion and the bear as they both growl at you, forcing a hasty retreat. The bear is actually a link between the jungle and a woodsy forest. You run into these woods with Mickey's group, where they are chased by a moose (as in "The Moose Hunt" (1931) and "Moose Hunters" (1937)), bellowing furiously and trying literally to grab you with its antlers. Then you hear the sinister laugh of Pete's once again as you arrive at a clearing. You go through a "road closed" sign...

I was very pleased to see you give a rough outline of the queue. It sounds like a cool idea and is a nice way to tie in Mickey's Toontown Fair in a subtle manner (that would please disney fanatics). Overall, I'd say that your ride is quite spectacular. The ride has a nice story and the scenes are very well thought out. Looking forward to more posts!

mharrington

Original Poster
I was very pleased to see you give a rough outline of the queue. It sounds like a cool idea and is a nice way to tie in Mickey's Toontown Fair in a subtle manner (that would please disney fanatics). Overall, I'd say that your ride is quite spectacular. The ride has a nice story and the scenes are very well thought out. Looking forward to more posts!

The question, though, is if this ride will be relevant to modern audiences. According to "Realityland", when they initially created the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, they had initially intended to have it be about a silent film director who became so upset with his career being ruined by the advent of talkies that he haunted the guests of a Hollywood hotel, eventually cutting the elevator cables and sending the visitors to plunge to their doom. However, the unwieldy plot was centered on the silent film era, which, it was said, defeated the purpose of designing something hip for teens. They ultimately went with the Twilight Zone theme for the hotel because it continued to remain popular through its continued reruns.

With that in mind, I'm not sure how well-received the attraction may be if it were created. Sure, the characters themselves are still relevant and popular and hopefully always will be. But with the emphasis being now on princesses and "Frozen" (though it may or may not be on the wane, I'm told) and Star Wars, and the world of cartoons, especially 80+-year-old black-and-white ones, getting relatively little exposure nowadays, this ride concept, even with the gimmick of guest participation by coloring things in as you go along, may be somewhat unwieldy, especially if the Epic Mickey series' pitiful performance was an indication.

---

Anyway, you go through a road closed sign. Beyond that lies a dynamite blasting site, from "The Delivery Boy" (1931), with boxes of dynamite and barrels of TNT and tar everywhere. Signs warn you of the site in different languages: "Danger! Blasting"; "Mort! (skull and crossbones)"; "Achtung! Dynamite"; "Peligro! T-N-T!" At last, you come upon Pete holding a stick of dynamite:

With a sinister laugh, he lights it and throws it your way and then runs off, the Sorcerer's Crest firmly in his hand. You could try and escape from the lit explosive, except for the fact that Mickey, Donald and Goofy have hidden in a barrel of tar, splashing the stuff out and creating a puddle under your ride vehicle. It's stuck! You can barely move at all! Much to his shock and frustration, Pete was so busy laughing and running that he doesn't look where he is going and he, too, gets stuck in tar. As if that wasn't enough, a black storm cloud rolls up overhead, turning things black while a roaring wind gathers with incredible force.

KABOOM! The dynamite explodes! The effect is seen in the form of strobe lights and explosion imagery, as in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom