Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist (feedback welcome)

mharrington

Original Poster
There have been many threads by me involving a dark ride with Mickey cartoons, to make up for the loss of Toontown Fair, which, granted, was relatively weak.

Anyway, my idea is based on the concept for "Mickey's Madhouse", which was to have been created for Disneyland's never-built Dumbo's Circusland, as a roller coaster ride through black-and-white Mickey cartoons. Since Storybook Circus seems to be the closest we're likely to get with the circus concept, I had been grappling for quite a while with trying to bring back Disney cartoon references into the Magic Kingdom. I had tried to bring out a revised version of Mickey's Madhouse back into the park, but between my lack of knowledge on the subject and the conflicting ideas about how appropriate it really was in the circus area, it went nowhere. Attempts to put this into the Main Street Cinema didn't amount to much, either. Part of my problem was that I feel that physical space is of equal importance as the idea itself.

Then, after I heard about how Disneyland's Star Wars land would replace the Big Thunder Barbecue and surrounding area there, I thought of relocating the concept of mine to Fantasyland and remove the Pinocchio Village Haus restaurant and nearby bathrooms to accommodate.

The ride is (tentatively) called Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist, and it is a dark ride in the style of Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride, through the world of black-and-white (and even color) Mickey cartoons. The concept is that some antagonist, likely Pete, has stolen color from Mickey's world (hence black and white) and it is up to him, and by extension, you, to bring it back.

What are your thoughts?

spacemt354

Chili's
There have been many threads by me involving a dark ride with Mickey cartoons, to make up for the loss of Toontown Fair, which, granted, was relatively weak.

Anyway, my idea is based on the concept for "Mickey's Madhouse", which was to have been created for Disneyland's never-built Dumbo's Circusland, as a roller coaster ride through black-and-white Mickey cartoons. Since Storybook Circus seems to be the closest we're likely to get with the circus concept, I had been grappling for quite a while with trying to bring back Disney cartoon references into the Magic Kingdom. I had tried to bring out a revised version of Mickey's Madhouse back into the park, but between my lack of knowledge on the subject and the conflicting ideas about how appropriate it really was in the circus area, it went nowhere. Attempts to put this into the Main Street Cinema didn't amount to much, either. Part of my problem was that I feel that physical space is of equal importance as the idea itself.

Then, after I heard about how Disneyland's Star Wars land would replace the Big Thunder Barbecue and surrounding area there, I thought of relocating the concept of mine to Fantasyland and remove the Pinocchio Village Haus restaurant and nearby bathrooms to accommodate.

The ride is (tentatively) called Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist, and it is a dark ride in the style of Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride, through the world of black-and-white (and even color) Mickey cartoons. The concept is that some antagonist, likely Pete, has stolen color from Mickey's world (hence black and white) and it is up to him, and by extension, you, to bring it back.

What are your thoughts?
I was trying to think of another scene for you. I remember you had said you'd chase Pete under a bridge on a river and end up in a jungle, maybe to add a transition scene you can see railroad tracks alongside the river reminiscent of this Mickey cartoon? (At around 5:50)

mharrington

Original Poster
I was trying to think of another scene for you. I remember you had said you'd chase Pete under a bridge on a river and end up in a jungle, maybe to add a transition scene you can see railroad tracks alongside the river reminiscent of this Mickey cartoon? (At around 5:50)

Okay, that seems like a good idea.

I'll put up more ideas later, but in the meantime, what are some good ideas for color scenes? About 3/4 of the way through, you get back the color somehow. The only things I can think of are a tornado ("The Band Concert"), where you and Mickey and Pete get swept up (triggering the color reversal), and maybe a whale chase ("The Whalers"). But I need one more thing, though. The only thing I can think of is a clock tower ("Clock Cleaners").

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, that seems like a good idea.

I'll put up more ideas later, but in the meantime, what are some good ideas for color scenes? About 3/4 of the way through, you get back the color somehow. The only things I can think of are a tornado ("The Band Concert"), where you and Mickey and Pete get swept up (triggering the color reversal), and maybe a whale chase ("The Whalers"). But I need one more thing, though. The only thing I can think of is a clock tower ("Clock Cleaners").
The tornado is a great idea. It would make thematic sense too...kinda like the Wizard of Oz going from black and white to color via a tornado.

It's a good transition.

I'll help think of some more in the meantime. The Clock Cleaners sounds good.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'll help think of some more in the meantime. The Clock Cleaners sounds good.

The only problem with "Clock Cleaners" is that it seems a little overkill. It seems like an extra step between the tornado and the whale chase. Maybe you get thrown from the tornado and then contact the clock tower somehow and then fall in the water? That's all I got.

Tony the Tigger

I also like the tornado (or hurricane for Orlando?) and you can have colored lights/projections "splash" color all over the guests (much like we get fairy dust sprinkled on us in the queue for Peter Pan.) In fact, you may be able to make us look black & white in the first part. (I've seen something like that done at a concert.) That could be buzzworthy.

I love the idea of bringing more Mickey & friends directly into things.

Tony the Tigger

You could be on a train that goes through a tunnel that brings the color back. The effect would be similar to Willy Wonka in the boat ride, again with color projected all over the walls of the tunnel, etc.

mharrington

Original Poster
I also like the tornado (or hurricane for Orlando?) and you can have colored lights/projections "splash" color all over the guests (much like we get fairy dust sprinkled on us in the queue for Peter Pan.) In fact, you may be able to make us look black & white in the first part. (I've seen something like that done at a concert.) That could be buzzworthy.

I love the idea of bringing more Mickey & friends directly into things.

How would guests become all black and white? Also, how would one enter the tornado? There could probably have a spinning effect somehow, but how would one actually ENTER the tornado?

spacemt354

Chili's
Tornados sometimes come out of the blue, so maybe you see a dark storm overhead (being black and white already it will seem ominous) and then the tornado forms, taking you (and maybe Pete too) with it?

Tony the Tigger

Dark rides usually have sections or rooms. One of those rooms could be cylindrical with a powerful fan in the ceiling, as well as a few well-placed side fans at vehicle-level.

Outside the circumference of where people in the vehicle could reach, you have items "blowing around" in the tornado (actually attached, of course, probably to the walls, but spinning in a circle around the room.) a broom, a cat, one of Mickey's gloves or shoes, etc.

Alternate idea is the vehicle comes to a temporary stop in the cylindrical room, and an inner cylinder actually spins around the vehicle, having a similar effect. It can even come down from the ceiling and go back up in-between vehicles.

As far as everything in black and white - I know I've seen Mariah Carey use that effect at a live concert, possibly an awards show – I don't know if it was a television effect or if it actually happened in the room. Justin Timberlake may also have done it more recently. I'm sure Disney people can figure it out!

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, here's how the ride begins:

You enter it at the northern end of Fantasyland, where Mickey has set up a fancy theater with the name of the ride on the marquee (the building resembles the theme of the never-built Mickeyville):
mickey10.jpg

Here, you wend through a theater lobby adorned with posters and props of old shows (some based on old Disney cartoons). Mickey and his friends Donald and Goofy are going to put on a show especially for you, and Mickey has a powerful paintbrush/wand to do the trick. Yeah, it does sound a lot like Mickey's PhilharMagic, but I think I'm going to remove that, both for this, since I feel that two Mickey attractions (even one that actually stars Donald) is too much, and also to expand the Peter Pan ride nearby. But I digress.

Mickey has a special colorful crest for his show, known as the Sorcerer's Crest, which maintains color for the world, for he thinks that the only thing better than a colorful show or a magical show is a colorfully magical show. He thinks color is essential to life, for a life in black and white is wildly crazy, almost anarchic, so color will play a great part in the show. You are ushered into a theater room of sorts, which strangely resemble giant paint cans with mounted paint brushes, known as MagiColorers:
paintridevehicleoverhead2_zpse8291d87-1-jpg.109961

To blend in with Fantasyland, the paint cans resemble this one from "Pinocchio":
pinocchio-disneyscreencaps.com-498.jpg

You climb into these giant paint cans and you are taken through a pair of red curtains with gold trim and lace. The room is themed to a house, similar to Mickey's Country House. As you enter, you hear Mickey, Donald and Goofy making final preparations for their show. Suddenly, they are arguing because the Sorcerer's Crest, the thing that maintains the color of the world, is missing and they don't know where it is. Suddenly, the room is plunged into darkness, followed by sinister laughter! Uh-oh...

What do you think so far?

Last edited:

TheKarnivalKid

Anyway, here's how the ride begins:

You enter it at the northern end of Fantasyland, where Mickey has set up a fancy theater with the name of the ride on the marquee (the building resembles the theme of the never-built Mickeyville):
mickey10.jpg

Here, you wend through a theater lobby adorned with posters and props of old shows (some based on old Disney cartoons). Mickey and his friends Donald and Goofy are going to put on a show especially for you, and Mickey has a powerful paintbrush/wand to do the trick. Yeah, it does sound a lot like Mickey's PhilharMagic, but I think I'm going to remove that, both for this, since I feel that two Mickey attractions (even one that actually stars Donald) is too much, and also to expand the Peter Pan ride nearby. But I digress.

Mickey has a paintbrush/wand dealie for his show, for he thinks that the only thing better than a colorful show or a magical show is a colorfully magical show. He thinks color is essential to life, for a life in black and white is wildly crazy, almost anarchic, so color will play a great part in the show. You are ushered into a theater room of sorts, which strangely resemble giant paint cans with mounted paint brushes:
paintridevehicleoverhead2_zpse8291d87-1-jpg.109961

You climb into these giant paint cans and you are taken through a pair of red curtains with gold trim and lace. The room is themed to a house, similar to Mickey's Country House. As you enter, you hear Mickey, Donald and Goofy making final preparations for their show. Suddenly, they are arguing because the paintbrush/wand device is missing and they don't know where it is. Suddenly, the room is plunged into darkness, followed by sinister laughter! Uh-oh...

My only change would be to make the first scene in a backstage area instead of a house (it just seems like a more natural fit). Other than that, I really like these ideas!

mharrington

Original Poster
My only change would be to make the first scene in a backstage area instead of a house (it just seems like a more natural fit). Other than that, I really like these ideas!

The house was to be a stage setup. I do like your idea of backstage, though. I just don't want it to be too much like Town Square Theater, which would remain in my plans.

mharrington

Original Poster
Actually, perhaps instead of actually going into a backstage area, maybe the room will be just pitch black to begin with. They are trying to find a source of light, when the missing paintbrush/wand becomes more urgent, and the needs of the guests seem less important. Mickey and Goofy search for the brush, while Donald looks for a light.

They then hear the sinister laughter, and the light is finally restored, only to reveal everything to be black and white! You see Mickey, Donald and Goofy, in their black-and-white appearances: Mickey in white shorts and solid black eyes, Donald in long beak and black feet and Goofy in his Dippy Dawg identity! Also, inexplicably, the stage is set to look like Mickey's house. Pete appears at the front door, cackling as he holds the Sorcerer's Crest. He warns that they are now back in time to the simpler, more rough-hewn times of old cartoons in black-and-white, and that things are now going to be a lot less colorful now; things will remain like this now forever!

Mickey realizes that without the color, things will be all anarchy and mayhem! Indeed, the furniture and such are dancing around like they have a mind of their own. Mickey motions you to follow him, Donald and Goofy with them, and to color anything you spot with your mounted MagiColorer paintbrushes as a way of helping out. You follow the trio out the front door...

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
Side note: wasn't there a wii game involving Mickey and a paintbrush?

Yes, you're right. The game is called "Epic Mickey". However, in my plan, there is no thinner (which erases paint), only paint.

What do you think of my ideas so far? And what do you think the name of the paintbrush/wand should be?

mharrington

Original Poster
I like sorcerer's crest

Okay, that's great! That's what Pete steals, is the Sorcerer's Crest! The MagiColorers are the brush/wand deals on your ride vehicles!

Anyway, what did you think of my idea for the first scene in Mickey's house? Also, when it gets to be around Christmas time, it may receive a slight holiday overlay to receive Christmas decorations, as in "Mickey's Orphans" (1931):

EDIT: I went back and reedited some of my earlier posts to incorporate the Sorcerer's Crest and MagiColorers into them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom