Merits of DLR vs. WDW

DDLand

DAK is still a half day park even with Pandora added. At least now there is a reason to visit it but not for the entire day. The San Diego Zoo / Wild Animal park and Sea World take care of the animal need on the west coast. Their environments are well themed and the zoo is in Balboa park with lots of museums and cultural events. It's a beautiful place and doesn't feel theme park fake like DAK.

With the addition of Star Wars land to Disneyland there is absolutely no reason to visit DHS. That day is better off seeing IOA anyway.

I believe EPCOT is the number one reason to cross the country. I still think it is amazing place. DCA is WDW's saving grace. If Westcot were built instead of DCA there would be no reason for someone from the west coast to step in Florida.
When was the last time you went to Disney's Animal Kingdom? I would actually put that as a major plus for coming to Walt Disney World.

I suppose if you declare before heading there "no animals, we have a zoo back at home" then you might run into constraints. With that said, Disney's Animal Kingdom has some of the most immersive areas at Walt Disney World and even the entire chain. Africa and Asia have recently seen work and they're both simply stunning. Incredibly detailed and beautiful. Just really cool to walk around those areas. Those areas open the door to Kilimanjaro Safaris which in turn is incredibly immersive and beautiful. Probably among the best rides Disney has ever produced. It blends the theme park immersiveness with a zoo's diversity and it's quite spectacular. It's a completely non intimidating approach to a Safari. Obviously it's not the real thing, but neither is World showcase of New Orleans Square.

I'd choose Kilimanjaro Safaris over RSRs any day.

Discovery Island too received some love and has considerably better facilities and a new dining option. That's also not even mentioning the new Nighttime entertainment.

It's distinctive and fabulous, and worthy of at least being visited by Disneyland fans. It does some things in ways that can only be compared to Sea. It obviously still needs more capacity and variety, but if Sea is worthy of an all day moniker (and it is) then so will DAK when Avatar comes out.

Edit: Come to think of it, Disney's Animal Kingdom may be the reason to visit WDW.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

DAK is still a half day park even with Pandora added. At least now there is a reason to visit it but not for the entire day. The San Diego Zoo / Wild Animal park and Sea World take care of the animal need on the west coast

Have to disagree. I can spend all day at AK (and did recently) and not feel it was enough. It's a gorgeous park and hot take time, the best theme park in Central Florida.

Yes it borrows ideas from zoos and the San Diego wild animal park, but is done on a much higher level. Both AK and Epcot are unique in the theme park world and make WDW worth visiting.

Phroobar

When was the last time you went to Disney's Animal Kingdom? I would actually put that as a major plus for coming to Walt Disney World.

I suppose if you declare before heading there "no animals, we have a zoo back at home" then you might run into constraints. With that said, Disney's Animal Kingdom has some of the most immersive areas at Walt Disney World and even the entire chain. Africa and Asia have recently seen work and they're both simply stunning. Incredibly detailed and beautiful. Just really cool to walk around those areas. Those areas open the door to Kilimanjaro Safaris which in turn is incredibly immersive and beautiful. Probably among the best rides Disney has ever produced. It blends the theme park immersiveness with a zoo's diversity and it's quite spectacular. It's a completely non intimidating approach to a Safari. Obviously it's not the real thing, but neither is World showcase of New Orleans Square.

I'd choose Kilimanjaro Safaris over RSRs any day.

Discovery Island too received some love and has considerably better facilities and a new dining option. That's also not even mentioning the new Nighttime entertainment.

It's distinctive and fabulous, and worthy of at least being visited by Disneyland fans. It does some things in ways that can only be compared to Sea. It obviously still needs more capacity and variety, but if Sea is worthy of an all day moniker (and it is) then so will DAK when Avatar comes out.
The last time I was at WDW was 2002. Over 15 years and the only thing that park got was Expedition Everest and Pandora and they still can't get the Yeti to work. Pandora will be the reason to see the park again. Hopefully they can keep their effects working properly but I doubt it. The rest of the rides where not very good. Dinosaur was just Indy with less stuff and more darkness. The raft was really nothing special compared to DCA's raft or even Magic Mountain's. The surroundings with jungle and buildings that were a little too realistic. Let's face it, Africa's dilapidated buildings are not exactly pretty. At least at Disney Sea buildings are pretty. I didn't having to search for animal exhibits in a jungle. It makes it very confusing for the average guest. The Safari was ok but all the animals could not walk up to you like they do at San Diego Safari park. The Safari park has a lot more realistic surroundings for the animals unlike DAK and it's AA baby elephant and poaching story line. I understand some of the effects have been removed from Kilimanjaro safari since I've been there. The train to see baby animals was a waste of time. I could see that at any zoo in the country. It needs to be replaced with Zootopia land. As I said for someone traveling across the country, DAK doesn't offer much and Pandora will be the only reason to get a park hopper for there.

Phroobar

Have to disagree. I can spend all day at AK (and did recently) and not feel it was enough. It's a gorgeous park and hot take time, the best theme park in Central Florida.

Yes it borrows ideas from zoos and the San Diego wild animal park, but is done on a much higher level. Both AK and Epcot are unique in the theme park world and make WDW worth visiting.
I guess if you like walking around in Central Florida's heat and humility in a jungle pretending your in Africa with very few rides and a search for animal exhibits that any zoo has is your cup of tea then go for it. Personally if I have to be in Florida, I'll spend it in air conditioned EPCOT looking at AA dinosaurs. Don't even get me started about the 'theming' of DAK's Dinoland.

Earl Sweatpants

I can tell this is going to be a fun thread...

DL's merits:
-It has the "original" status that's hard to quantify, but its there.
-It has Walt's apartment
-It has better Pirates, Buzz, BTMRR, etc.
-No humidity

WDW's merits:
-Epcot and DAK
-MK has great Splash Mtn, Haunted (though I love DL's too), Liberty Square, etc.
-The Downtown district is great
-Water Parks
-Everything just seems bigger
-Did I mention Epcot?

Phroobar

I can tell this is going to be a fun thread...

DL's merits:
-It has the "original" status that's hard to quantify, but its there.
-It has Walt's apartment
-It has better Pirates, Buzz, BTMRR, etc.
-No humidity

WDW's merits:
-Epcot and DAK
-MK has great Splash Mtn, Haunted (though I love DL's too), Liberty Square, etc.
-The Downtown district is great
-Water Parks
-Everything just seems bigger
-Did I mention Epcot?
You can't compare one park to four parks and their attached mall.

Travel Junkie

I guess if you like walking around in Central Florida's heat and humility in a jungle pretending your in Africa with very few rides and a search for animal exhibits that any zoo has is your cup of tea then go for it. Personally if I have to be in Florida, I'll spend it in air conditioned EPCOT looking at AA dinosaurs. Don't even get me started about the 'theming' of DAK's Dinoland.

As you already admitted you haven't been to WDW in a long time so you probably don't have a good understanding of how the park currently operates. I'll leave it at that and let you continue your incessant get off my lawn ramblings.

Phroobar

As you already admitted you haven't been to WDW in a long time so you probably don't have a good understanding of how the park currently operates. I'll leave it at that and let you continue your incessant get off my lawn ramblings.
Don't be insulting....

Just tell me how it works now. What's changed? It just doesn't seem to be what it once was. Personally, I'd rather go to Paris or Tokyo for not only the parks but the culture around them.

GiveMeTheMusic

Always interesting to read different perspectives from more seasoned theme park 'vets'. Hopefully, if this thread is still alive then, I can contribute to the discussion after this summer. :angelic:
(low key melting down at the lack of love for DAK which is easily the best park at WDW)

Agreed. DAK is where I choose to spend most of my time at WDW. MK is overcrowded and the worst of the six castle parks (IMO). DHS is a joke. Epcot, once my favorite, is such a shell of its former self that it's hard to feel anything but sadness there.

DAK is lush, immersive, beautiful. Everest is a great ride but it is inexcusable that they won't fix the Yeti. With Pandora and ROL, it really steps up its game. It also has the two best shows on property by a mile, Lion King and Nemo. Great food and drink options, the fantastic Kilimanjaro Safaris, incredible walkthroughs like Maharajah Jungle Trek...wish I was there now!

And I would disagree with those above who say DCA doesn't add anything to DLR. BVS, Cars Land, World of Color, Soarin', Grizzly Peak in general, Frozen at the Hyperion - all big assets to DLR. DCA is the most complete secondary park domestically (I love DAK, but DCA has it beat on attraction count).

dweezil78

I want to defend MK a bit. I think it gets a bum rap compared to DL due to having less attractions and not being "Walt's Park." While there are areas that for sure need updating/improvements (just like DL), there are some really great things about the park. I feel like Caribbean Plaza never gets the praise it deserves and Liberty Square also gets completely ignored as people run through out to HM and the big hits in Frontierland. As I'm older now and not in much of a rush, I've really started to appreciate this quiet part of the park and its unique details.

Also, can we talk about the water? There are waterways all over the park wherever you go. This is a huge difference IMO compared to DL. Same goes for EPCOT and AK. So much water. It adds so much to the design of the park and really allows them to open up and breathe. Whenever I return to DL after a WDW I can really feel it missing!

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Agreed. DAK is where I choose to spend most of my time at WDW. MK is overcrowded and the worst of the six castle parks (IMO). DHS is a joke. Epcot, once my favorite, is such a shell of its former self that it's hard to feel anything but sadness there.

DAK is lush, immersive, beautiful. Everest is a great ride but it is inexcusable that they won't fix the Yeti. With Pandora and ROL, it really steps up its game. It also has the two best shows on property by a mile, Lion King and Nemo. Great food and drink options, the fantastic Kilimanjaro Safaris, incredible walkthroughs like Maharajah Jungle Trek...wish I was there now!

And I would disagree with those above who say DCA doesn't add anything to DLR. BVS, Cars Land, World of Color, Soarin', Grizzly Peak in general, Frozen at the Hyperion - all big assets to DLR. DCA is the most complete secondary park domestically (I love DAK, but DCA has it beat on attraction count).
To each his own on DCA. I just can't imagine someone making a trip to California just to specifically experience anything at DCA. Unlike Epcot or DAK.

My domestic park's ranking:
-Epcot
-DL
-DAK
-MK
-DHS
-DCA

Phroobar

No one makes a trip to California just for DCA or even Disneyland. They come for the weather, world class beaches, culture, movie stars and amazing theme parks and zoos. People who make money want to live in California. Old poor people retire to Florida.

My domestic park's rankings:
- DL
- Epcot
- DCA
- DAK
- MK
- DHS

Earl Sweatpants

No one makes a trip to California just for DCA or even Disneyland. They come for the weather, world class beaches, culture, movie stars and amazing theme parks and zoos. People who make money want to live in California. Old poor people retire to Florida.

My domestic park's rankings:
- DL
- Epcot
- DCA
- DAK
- MK
- DHS
Actually, I'm pretty sure people DO fly to California specifically to go to Disneyland. That's why they have a shuttle service at LAX.

Also, lol, no one plops down hundreds or even thousands of dollars to fly to California for weather.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom