Merits of DLR vs. WDW

mickEblu

This is multi layered.QUOTE]

I don't think it would be a big stretch to say it's the best Disney Theme Park, though it's approach to the experience is so radically different from Sea that it's hard to say. It absolutely obliterates Tokyo Disneyland (and other unpopular opinion, I think Magic Kingdom is better than that Park too).

Just my thoughts.

Interesting. I've only heard constant praise on Tokyo Disneyland but I'm guessing that's mostly because of Disney Sea. Another way to put it, if Tokyo Disney sea didn't exist, would it be worthwhile for a DL vet to visit Tokyo Disneyland - solely for the resort? I recently saw a picture of Tokyos FL and it doesn't look great. Also, looking at the attraction roster, Poohs Hunny Hunt is the only unique attraction that peaks my interest. Not saying that we should only judge by attractions. For example, I know that DLP is supposed to be a beautiful park so I would like to see it even though there aren't any unique attractions we don't have stateside, excluding their Studio park.

TP2000

Spoken like someone who truly has no clue what all there is to do in Orlando. How this even relates to the contents of the parks is beyond me.

I lived in the South for a decade. I've visited Orlando regularly. Since moving back to SoCal 20 years ago, I've researched museums and cultural offerings in Orlando to try and fill a day away from Dizzyworld and Universal, and it wasn't easy. There's not much, and Gatorland doesn't count.

Orlando is a perfectly nice small city with a few notable problems, but a solid middle-class industry town dedicated almost entirely to theme parks/hospitality. Its residents are perfectly nice people, good hard-working Americans. But there's not much to do there beyond theme parks that doesn't also exist in other perfectly nice small cities like Fresno or Nashua or Oklahoma City (all cities I've spent time in).

Because of all that, Orlando also attracts a unique classification of Disney theme park fan; the modern blogger who lives/breathes/eats theme parks 24/7. It's all they seem to do with their lives, and it has impacted the way WDW management conducts its public outreach and marketing. That's unique to Orlando and it's part of the equation here.

This little gem just keeps giving, and is something Anaheim management would never bother with. The 7:15 to 8:43 portion of this explains it all.

It's all rather fascinating to observe.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Actually, I'm pretty sure people DO fly to California specifically to go to Disneyland. That's why they have a shuttle service at LAX.
...and then they see other things. Your not trapped like you are at Disney World with no non-theme park experience outside Disney/Universal/Gaterland.

TP2000

Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Paris...Orlando.

One of these things is not like the other.

Exactly. Which is why I can support the theory that a DLR vs. WDW comparison is nearly impossible to do objectively.

WDW is the outlier, the aberration.

All of the other Disney properties around the world are set up identically; a two-park complex with a few thousand rooms of a hotel/shopping component attached, set in the suburbs of a glittering and affluent world capital. Paris is slightly different in that it has a half dozen Disney hotels instead of just three, but that model was its downfall that it still struggles with.

Shanghai and Hong Kong prove that Disney learned its lesson from Paris. All the changes currently under construction in Anaheim are set up to strengthen that model and allow it to thrive in the 21st century.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I want to defend MK a bit. I think it gets a bum rap compared to DL due to having less attractions and not being "Walt's Park." While there are areas that for sure need updating/improvements (just like DL), there are some really great things about the park. I feel like Caribbean Plaza never gets the praise it deserves and Liberty Square also gets completely ignored as people run through out to HM and the big hits in Frontierland. As I'm older now and not in much of a rush, I've really started to appreciate this quiet part of the park and its unique details.

Also, can we talk about the water? There are waterways all over the park wherever you go. This is a huge difference IMO compared to DL. Same goes for EPCOT and AK. So much water. It adds so much to the design of the park and really allows them to open up and breathe. Whenever I return to DL after a WDW I can really feel it missing!

The same WED designers who made Tomorrowland '67 and New Orleans Square did a marvelous job in the 70s designing a grander version of the original Disneyland in California. You can still see some of that work in things like the interior of Columbia Harbour House and the unique design of Tom Sawer Island (Tokyo is a copy of DLR). That's what still gives the park something worth seeing.

But MK has suffered terribly from poor redesign decisions and a failure to improve much of its aging infrastructure. It is also packed with some of the most obnoxious tourists you could ever fear to deal with, along with the frustrating logistics of FP+ and ADRs. The park was at its peak in the summer of 1992, but has since (mostly) gone down hill ever since. I like it best during MNSSHP when there's no FP, better entertainment and a different crowd mix than the usual bus loads of tour groups and bulky strollers.

Earl Sweatpants

...and then they see other things. Your not trapped like you are at Disney World with no non-theme park experience outside Disney/Universal/Gaterland.
So...what you're really doing is comparing the merits of So Cal to that of Orlando. In which case, sure, there's a ton more to do in So Cal than there is in Orlando. If you planned a 5 day trip to So Cal, you could hit the parks a few days and then fill the rest of the time with other local activities. On the other hand, a 5 day trip in Orlando could easily all be spent at WDW.

However, knowing that, I wouldn't say I felt "trapped" at WDW. The simple truth is, there is more to do there than there is at DLR.

DDLand

Interesting. I've only heard constant praise on Tokyo Disneyland but I'm guessing that's mostly because of Disney Sea. Another way to put it, if Tokyo Disney sea didn't exist, would it be worthwhile for a DL vet to visit Tokyo Disneyland - solely for the resort? I recently saw a picture of Tokyos FL and it doesn't look great. Also, looking at the attraction roster, Poohs Hunny Hunt is the only unique attraction that peaks my interest. Not saying that we should only judge by attractions. For example, I know that DLP is supposed to be a beautiful park so I would like to see it even though there aren't any unique attractions we don't have stateside, excluding their Studio park.
For the most part I've seen people praise it. I've even seen some rank it above Disneyland Park. In my opinion the place feels terribly dated and lacks cohesion. The organization of the park is a complete mess. It's just... ugly.

I feel bad saying it, but just about everything there is a less impressive and attractive version of any other castle park. Scaling and forced perspective are a disaster too. The Castle looks shrunken and smaller than its Florida counterpart in spite of its excellent design.

Now obviously entertainment, service, and upkeep were excellent. Even then, I'd much prefer the feel of Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Those parks feel vibrant and beautiful, Tokyo Disneyland feels old.

Now I do want to go back to Tokyo Disneyland again just to make sure. I might have been in a bad mood or something, but at least from first impressions it just felt like a worse Magic Kingdom or Disneyland.

The two headliners ended up kind of not living up to the hype. Monsters Inc was alright and Pooh was good but not mind blowing.

Magic Kingdom has things like Undersea, Mine Train, Hall of Presidents, CoP, and Peoplemover to offset those effectively.

There's a lot to love about Tokyo Disneyland, but I just don't love it as much as Magic Kingdom or Disneyland.

Tokyo Disney Sea on the other hand...

Phroobar

When I was a little kid and heard that Tokyo just opened up their own Disneyland, I thought so that is why all the Japanese tourists were taking pictures of Disneyland. Tokyo is very high on my list to visit. Not only for the Disney parks there but for the city itself.

Earl Sweatpants

When I was a little kid and heard that Tokyo just opened up their own Disneyland, I thought so that is why all the Japanese tourists were taking pictures of Disneyland. Tokyo is very high on my list to visit. Not only for the Disney parks there but for the city itself.
Great...now any time I see a Japanese family taking photographs, I'm going to assume they're government spies on a reconnaissance mission.

Earl Sweatpants

and the President's. ;)
1863125.main_image.gif

Californian Elitist

I'll second this, got lost on my way to a Lakers game once and yeah, Anaheim (Or the Area surrounding DL at least) is Beverly Hills compared to Skid Row.

Same! Though I didn't get lost in the Staples Center area. I was on my way to Little Tokyo once and took one street all the way down. It was fine at first, but as I got deeper, things took a scary turn and my mom and I were in absolute shock. We couldn't believe what we saw. It was the stuff of nightmares. Really shameful Skid Row exists.

Harbor and Katella no way compare to Skid Row. It's a laughable statement.

GiveMeTheMusic

I prefer TDL to MK, but not to DL. TDL's World Bazaar and hub area are unique and beautiful. Pooh is great, as is Monsters Inc. (although neither are really E tickets). Their Jungle Cruise is tops worldwide. The whole Westernland/Critter Country area is stunning and features far and away the nicest Splash Mountain installation. The River is pristine and fantastic. Country Bears in perfect shape.

Fantasyland is weird. It feels like it hasn't been updated ever, because it hasn't. It's like an Orlando time warp other than the placement of Haunted Mansion there. Tomorrowland is hilariously outdated, but still pristine. OLC is finally starting to address the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland areas, and I'm looking forward to that improving over the next several years.

Entertainment and seasonal events are unmatched by any other Disney park. Dreamlights is insanely beautiful and unlike parades in the US, regularly updated. Happiness is Here is the best day parade worldwide at present. The event parades (Frozen, Easter, Halloween & Christmas) would qualify as full length parades at domestic resorts.

What makes TDL shine is that it's pristine. There's no other word. The upkeep is incredible, the cast is superlative in every way, even the food is good (Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall is a can't-miss). You'd be surprised how easy it is to overlook things like old timey Fantasyland when the standard of operation is so unbelievably high.

All this to say, DL vets should absolutely visit TDL, but if you only had one day in Tokyo and had to pick, TDS would be the obvious choice. On my last Tokyo trip, we spent 1.5 days at TDL and 2.5 days at TDS, and wished I had more time for both.

DLP does have some unique attractions. Phantom Manor in particular - it's an HM, but not really - it's its own beast. Its walkthroughs are second to none and there are several. DLP overall is worth visiting to see Baxter's vision of a modern Disneyland. It's truly incredible.

Travel Junkie

A lot of the praise is from how the resort is run. It's very old school Disney. The place looks immaculate, all of the rides are in great shape and most of my best Disney customer service experiences have been there even though I don't speak the language.

Tokyo Disneyland itself does have some design issues. The hub is absolutely massive. It hurts the ambiance. For rides it is kind of a best of DL and MK. DL's Pirates, MK's Splash and so on. Honey Hunt is great, Monster's Inc is a different concept than the ones at DCA and so much better.

The reasons to visit TDR are Disney Sea and the overall package of seeing how a Disney resort should be run. And of course seeing Japan in general!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom