Merits of DLR vs. WDW

PiratesoftheHM

For me the only shared rides that are better in WDW are Mansion and TOT (pre-GOTG and I'm sure after). Rides that share the same system (Indy/Dino) (RSR/Test Track) (GRR/Kali) are also far superior in DLR.

Significant wins for WDW that aren't present at DLR:
Everest
Spaceship Earth
PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress
Hall of Presidents
Great Movie Ride

Significant wins for DLR that aren't present at WDW:
Nearly all of Fantasyland (Alice, Snow White, Toad, Pinnochio, Canal Boats, Casey Jr., Matterhorn)
A nighttime parade

FigmentForver96

Disneyland has a better Magic Kingdom in that it has more soul and dare I say charm. Although tomorrowland in Disneyland is an absolute mess. No effort to be cohesive whatsoever and Space Mountain, while smoother, is nowhere near as fun.

Disneyland wins with:
Fantasyland
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates
Paint the Night
Grizzly River Run
Carsland
Indiana Jones
Critter Country
Buena Vista Street
Grizzly Peak Airfield
Sorian makes more sense here
Pacific Wharf (Totally under appreciated)
World of Color

WDW:
Hall of Presidents
Peoplemover (lol)
Space Mountain
Everest
Pretty much all of Animal Kingdom. An atmosphere that nothing In Disneyland has.
The water parks
Disney Springs
Resort options
Spaceship Earth
American Adventure
Illuminations
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride

So yea I guess WDW is still the better vacation destination of the two although both are very special.

mickEblu

Disneyland has a better Magic Kingdom in that it has more soul and dare I say charm. Although tomorrowland in Disneyland is an absolute mess. No effort to be cohesive whatsoever and Space Mountain, while smoother, is nowhere near as fun.

Disneyland wins with:
Fantasyland
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates
Paint the Night
Grizzly River Run
Carsland
Indiana Jones
Critter Country
Buena Vista Street
Grizzly Peak Airfield
Sorian makes more sense here
Pacific Wharf (Totally under appreciated)
World of Color

WDW:
Hall of Presidents
Peoplemover (lol)
Space Mountain
Everest
Pretty much all of Animal Kingdom. An atmosphere that nothing In Disneyland has.
The water parks
Disney Springs
Resort options
Spaceship Earth
American Adventure
Illuminations
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride

So yea I guess WDW is still the better vacation destination of the two although both are very special.

What about the Matterhorn and the adjacent lagoon at DL? Well, I guess you said Fantasyland so that can be included there.

TP2000

I haven't been following the GOTG thread, but I'll play;

After riding the Disneyland Splash Mountain several times from 1989 to 1993, I had no idea that it was supposed to have a plotline until I rode the WDW version in 1994. Previously I thought it was just "Log Ride With Singing Chickens And Big Drop". The Disneyland version still fits that bill. Then in the 2000's I rode the Tokyo Disneyland version of Splash Mountain and realized not only is it supposed to have a plot, but it's also supposed to have proper maintenance. Who knew?

Tower of Terror at WDW looks really cool from the street that leads up to it. The DCA version looks like a lightly decorated warehouse building at the end of an un-themed side street in a theme park. No wonder they ripped it out in DCA.

Epcot Center is truly wonderful, even in its dumbed down and increasingly neglected state in the 2010's. But I still view it through rose tinted glasses of my first visit in 1987, when it was a triumphant tribute to American Free Enterprise and the brilliance of Imagineering. If it weren't for Epcot, I would have stopped visiting WDW many years ago. It's really the only reason for a West Coaster with a Disneyland AP to bother visiting WDW. The rest of non-Anaheim WDW offerings are a good zoo with bad to decent rides at DAK, and a Hollywood theme park with two pretty good rides Disneyland doesn't have at DHS. Neither DAK nor DHS are enough of an excuse to fly to Florida. But Epcot is.

Carousel of Progress should have been updated twice in the last 20 years, but it hasn't been. Embarrassing.

Most of the rest of the E Tickets at WDW in Magic Kingdom, DHS and DAK are weaker, shorter and cheaper looking than their Disneyland counterparts; Pirates, Small World, Space Mt., Thunder Mt., Grizzly, Indy, all of Fantasyland, etc., etc.

Cars Land and all its rides and stores and entertainment kicks behind, plain and simple. Carthay Circle Restaurant is unparalleled in the global theme park industry, not just the Disney theme park industry. The Blue Bayou from 1967 has never been matched, fifty years later. Disneyland entertainment, from small bands to major spectaculars, is lush and beautifully presented and finely crafted and routinely replaced and updated, and there's so much of it compared to the weaker WDW parks. SNOWFLAKE TRIGGER WARNING: There are far fewer overweight people in ECV's at Disneyland, nor people in tacky clothing, which makes for a nicer environment in Disneyland.

WDW has four parks, DLR has two parks but still has a half dozen more rides than all four WDW parks combined. How the heck does that happen after 45 years of operation out there except for gross mismanagement and cheap leadership?

There's also a vast cultural difference between Orlando locals and SoCal locals who are theme park fans. In Orlando, the only thing to do for entertainment is visit theme parks, the shopping malls attached to theme parks, the corporate restaurants attached to theme parks, the hotels attached to theme parks, or the nearby tourists traps just outside of theme parks. The video blogs on YouTube of Orlando area theme park fans are terrifying, in that the bloggers entire life seems to revolve around going to Disney or Universal properties and then wandering around and talking about them. In SoCal, where there is a huge wealth of cultural and natural entertainment offerings, Disneyland is just one beautifully crafted florrette of icing on the big cake of life. SoCal has mountains and desserts and beaches and a million or more cultural and entertainment offerings that a glamorous and affluent global capital like Greater Los Angeles offers.

Disneyland fans in SoCal seem to balance their fandom much better than Orlando fans do, who just keep going back to Disney Springs again to blog about the latest Darden Corporation food barn or the latest bathroom refurbishment in Fantasyland. It gets creepy.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

After riding the Disneyland Splash Mountain several times from 1989 to 1993, I had no idea that it was supposed to have a plotline until I rode the WDW version in 1994. Previously I thought it was just "Log Ride With Singing Chickens And Big Drop". The Disneyland version still fits that bill. Then in the 2000's I rode the Tokyo Disneyland version of Splash Mountain and realized not only is it supposed to have a plot, but it's also supposed to have proper maintenance. Who knew?

Tower of Terror at WDW looks really cool from the street that leads up to it. The DCA version looks like a lightly decorated warehouse building at the end of an un-themed side street in a theme park. No wonder they ripped it out in DCA.

Epcot Center is truly wonderful, even in its dumbed down and increasingly neglected state in the 2010's. But I still view it through rose tinted glasses of my first visit in 1987, when it was a triumphant tribute to American Free Enterprise and the brilliance of Imagineering. If it weren't for Epcot, I would have stopped visiting WDW many years ago. It's really the only reason for a West Coaster with a Disneyland AP to bother visiting WDW. The rest of non-Anaheim WDW offerings are a good zoo with bad to decent rides at DAK, and a Hollywood theme park with two pretty good rides Disneyland doesn't have at DHS. Neither DAK nor DHS are enough of an excuse to fly to Florida. But Epcot is.

Carousel of Progress should have been updated twice in the last 20 years, but it hasn't been. Embarrassing.

Most of the rest of the E Tickets at WDW in Magic Kingdom, DHS and DAK are weaker, shorter and cheaper looking than their Disneyland counterparts; Pirates, Small World, Space Mt., Thunder Mt., Grizzly, Indy, all of Fantasyland, etc., etc.

Cars Land and all its rides and stores and entertainment kicks behind, plain and simple. Carthay Circle Restaurant is unparalleled in the global theme park industry, not just the Disney theme park industry. The Blue Bayou from 1967 has never been matched, fifty years later. Disneyland entertainment, from small bands to major spectaculars, is lush and beautifully presented and finely crafted and routinely replaced and updated, and there's so much of it compared to the weaker WDW parks. SNOWFLAKE TRIGGER WARNING: There are far fewer overweight people in ECV's at Disneyland, nor people in tacky clothing, which makes for a nicer environment in Disneyland.

WDW has four parks, DLR has two parks but still has a half dozen more rides than all four WDW parks combined. How the heck does that happen after 45 years of operation out there except for gross mismanagement and cheap leadership?

There's also a vast cultural difference between Orlando locals and SoCal locals who are theme park fans. In Orlando, the only thing to do for entertainment is visit theme parks, the shopping malls attached to theme parks, the corporate restaurants attached to theme parks, the hotels attached to theme parks, or the nearby tourists traps just outside of theme parks. The video blogs on YouTube of Orlando area theme park fans are terrifying, in that the bloggers entire life seems to revolve around going to Disney or Universal properties and then wandering around and talking about them. In SoCal, where there is a huge wealth of cultural and natural entertainment offerings, Disneyland is just one beautifully crafted florrette of icing on the big cake of life. SoCal has mountains and desserts and beaches and a million or more cultural and entertainment offerings that a glamorous and affluent global capital like Greater Los Angeles offers. Disneyland fans in SoCal seem to balance their fandom much better than Orlando fans do, who just keep going back to Disney Springs again to blog about the latest Darden Corporation food barn or the latest bathroom refurbishment in Fantasyland. It gets creepy.
Kilimanjaro Safarai is a fantastic ride and is practically worth the admission to Animal Kingdom alone. The trails and sheer detail of Animal Kingdom alone is something not seen in either park out west. Pandora is probably going to be amazing based on what we know so Animal Kingdom is only getting better. After visiting Tokyo Disneysea, I can easily say Animal Kingdom is the closet we have to it as far as detail and proper flow. Hollywood Studios, yea it's not hard to beat. Tower of Terror is leaps and bounds better then the one in Anaheim and Great Movie Ride is pure classic Disney even in its rather old state. The park doesn't have much other then that but at least Star Wars Land will fit MUCH better there then Disneyland.

Magic Kingdom I will give over to Disneyland other then Tomorrowland. That is a mess with no plausible defense and even Space Mountain is mediocre at best. It's one of the, if not the most, predictable coasters ever. WDW had a very rough track and is old but the layout is so much better, a proper update would easily make it the ultimate winner.

Epcot is a real mix bag. It's a true unique experience that Disneyland doesn't offer but at the same time the closed buildings and outdated films don't help.

JT3000

While I find it easy to compare individual attractions, in the more grand scheme of things, I think trying to compare the two resorts as a whole is an exercise in futility. They're just too different in terms of what they offer, especially when you take time of stay and individual interests into consideration.

I would disagree with Mansion at this time because of the awful theme-spoiling Interactive Queue, Horrible new Hitchhiking Ghost effects and lack of a certain ghost with a hatbox

I'll take multiple extra scenes over a single animatronic any day. Upon riding DL's Mansion for the first time, I thought I had a stroke while climbing the stairs and missed the first quarter or so of the ride. And the newer additions only spoil the attraction if you're a traditionalist who's averse to change in general, because they aren't terribly out of place. At the very least, the new hitchhikers fit as well as the current brides on both coasts do.

There's also a vast cultural difference between Orlando locals and SoCal locals who are theme park fans. In Orlando, the only thing to do for entertainment is visit theme parks, the shopping malls attached to theme parks, the corporate restaurants attached to theme parks, the hotels attached to theme parks, or the nearby tourists traps just outside of theme parks.

Spoken like someone who truly has no clue what all there is to do in Orlando. How this even relates to the contents of the parks is beyond me.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

There's also a vast cultural difference between Orlando locals and SoCal locals who are theme park fans. In Orlando, the only thing to do for entertainment is visit theme parks, the shopping malls attached to theme parks, the corporate restaurants attached to theme parks, the hotels attached to theme parks, or the nearby tourists traps just outside of theme parks. The video blogs on YouTube of Orlando area theme park fans are terrifying, in that the bloggers entire life seems to revolve around going to Disney or Universal properties and then wandering around and talking about them. In SoCal, where there is a huge wealth of cultural and natural entertainment offerings, Disneyland is just one beautifully crafted florrette of icing on the big cake of life. SoCal has mountains and desserts and beaches and a million or more cultural and entertainment offerings that a glamorous and affluent global capital like Greater Los Angeles offers. Disneyland fans in SoCal seem to balance their fandom much better than Orlando fans do, who just keep going back to Disney Springs again to blog about the latest Darden Corporation food barn or the latest bathroom refurbishment in Fantasyland. It gets creepy.
I've read entire books of literary renown that were poorer written and offered less insight than your one brief post. :D

(Exceptions: DAK is not a good zoo but a mediocre one, and DHS, currently, has five great rides and a handful of good shows set in one of the greatest themed areas of any Disney park)

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This one post will attract lots of members who've never "stepped foot" in the Disneyland forum. Good job, TP. Lol.

DDLand

This is multi layered.

Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland Park

Disneyland Park obviously takes the cake. Its diverse makeup of compelling rides and attractions coupled with its charm make it hard to beat. The big things you can't do at Disneyland Park that can be done at Magic Kingdom are Hall of Presidents, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Peoplemover, and Ariel's Undersea Adventure. There's some other stuff, but those are the distinctive draws. Most of those have comparable attractions at Disneyland Park or Resort, which means the competitiveness is truly lessened. Disneyland Park has a host of exclusive attractions that honestly put Magic Kingdom to shame.

So from a purely roster perspective, Disneyland Park vanquishes Magic Kingdom.

At this time I will put one thing out there that may be slightly controversial. I personally don't have a preference on which park has the best park spaces, organization, or setting. I see how someone who grew up on Disneyland Park could be appalled by the different approach that Magic Kingdom takes. Disneyland Park is charming and homey, Magic Kingdom is more spectacular escapism. Still comfortable, but more imposing.

Another advantage and disadvantage is Magic Kingdom's more planned approach to design. The best way to compare the design of the parks is thinking of them as two individuals. Disneyland Park didn't know what it wanted to do with its life and took everyday as it came. It became a theme park for escapism. Magic Kingdom on the other hand had seen all the things Disneyland Park had done, and knew exactly what it wanted to be when it grew up. From day one it was where it wanted to be.

Disneyland became and Magic Kingdom was.

Because of that, Disneyland, has some fun silly things that wouldn't have been built in Magic Kingdom. Matterhorn for one. Neither way is better, they're both great and individual.

In spite of my love of both park's design, Disneyland Park wins simply because of roster superiority.

I don't think it would be a big stretch to say it's the best Disney Theme Park, though it's approach to the experience is so radically different from Sea that it's hard to say. It absolutely obliterates Tokyo Disneyland (and other unpopular opinion, I think Magic Kingdom is better than that Park too).

Walt Disney World vs. Disneyland Resort
I'm not going to say which one is better, but I'll drop some thoughts...
1) Walt Disney World's expansiveness will blow your mind. It is huge.
2) Disneyland's efficient use of space and ease of mobility will blow your mind, it's so smart and immersive.
3) Walt Disney World takes the cake on hyper immersive Natural settings (as they should). One of my favorite areas of DCA is Grizzly Peak (I have a soft spot for NPs). Disney's Animal Kingdom is like an entire park with that type of lushness and attention to detail.
4) Walt Disney World has more unique non IP attractions. For a Disneyland fan, I imagine it would be cool to see audio animatronic spectaculars teaching and immersing in a non IP way. That's something distinct and awesome.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Phroobar

DAK is still a half day park even with Pandora added. At least now there is a reason to visit it but not for the entire day. The San Diego Zoo / Wild Animal park and Sea World take care of the animal need on the west coast. Their environments are well themed and the zoo is in Balboa park with lots of museums and cultural events. It's a beautiful place and doesn't feel theme park fake like DAK.

With the addition of Star Wars land to Disneyland there is absolutely no reason to visit DHS. That day is better off seeing IOA anyway.

I believe EPCOT is the number one reason to cross the country. I still think it is amazing place. DCA is WDW's saving grace. If Westcot were built instead of DCA there would be no reason for someone from the west coast to step in Florida.

Last edited:

Schneewittchen

Comparing DLR and WDW is like comparing my children. I love them both, but for different reasons.

DLR. I've only been there twice, but it was the real start of my Disney obsession. I went to WDW once as a child, and have vague lovely EPCOT Center memories. As an adult, DH and I went on a massive road trip, DLR was one of the stops. I really stuck with me. So many wonderful classic dark rides - Snow White, Toad, Alice. PoTC with 2 drops! And I can't stop talking about how awesome DCA really is. It's great that it's so easy to walk from my cheap hotel to the parks. But, DL feels crowded even when it's not busy. But chimichangas and a romantical dinner at the Blue Bayou can make up for a lot.

WDW is another planet. We arrive at our resort and don't leave the property for 6 days. And it's no big deal. Let the mouse drive. Great dining options, all the character meals. Wide open spaces, the smell of damp tarmac in the morning. Wandering around the Contemporary. It's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow. Memories of EPCOT Center past. Electrical water pageant. Taking a launch across Bay Lake early in the morning. Monorail resort hopping. Mickey waffles at the Trail's End breakfast buffet. Taking a stroll along Crescent Lake. Hiding from the 2 pm thunderstorm in Stitch or Country Bears....

Animaniac93-98

In SoCal, where there is a huge wealth of cultural and natural entertainment offerings, Disneyland is just one beautifully crafted florrette of icing on the big cake of life. SoCal has mountains and desserts and beaches and a million or more cultural and entertainment offerings that a glamorous and affluent global capital like Greater Los Angeles offers.

Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Paris...Orlando.

One of these things is not like the other.

mickEblu

DAK is still a half day park even with Pandora added. At least now there is a reason to visit it but not for the entire day. The San Diego Zoo / Wild Animal park and Sea World take care of the animal need on the west coast. Their environments are well themed and the zoo is in Balboa park with lots of museums and cultural events. It's a beautiful place and doesn't feel theme park fake like DAK.

With the addition of Star Wars land to Disneyland there is absolutely no reason to visit DHS. That day is better off seeing IOA anyway.

I believe EPCOT is the number one reason to cross the country. I still think it is amazing place. DCA is WDW's saving grace. If Westcot were built instead of DCA there would be no reason for someone from the west coast to step in Florida.

I would maybe just clarify no reason for anyone from the West Coast to **return** to WDW. I mean you would have at least see it once to fourmulate a complete opinion right? For example. as someone who has never been to WDW, I would want to visit DHS just to ride the original TOT.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

BUT THERE NOT DISNNEYY!!! :mad::cry:

;)

This x1000

Californian Elitist

I would maybe just add clarify no reason for anyone from the West Coast to **return** to WDW. I mean you would have at least see it once to fourmulate a complete opinion right? For example. as someone who has never been to WDW, I would want to visit DHS just to ride the original TOT.

This. I feel like at least two or three trips to WDW would be needed to formulate the staunch decision to never return.

I'm not going to lie, as a whole, DHS and DAK don't interest me that much, especially in comparison to MK and EPCOT, but carving out time to see both are on my agenda.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom