Meanwhile at USH this weekend...

Phroobar

I'm going to USH at the end of September as part of Halloween Horror Nights. They have an after 2pm pass that gets you in the park and to the HHN after.

Phroobar

It's like $94 for an after 2pm pass with HHN included. Regular HHN starts at $64. There is a discount if you have an AP. I think I paid $88 with my sister's AP pass number. She gets free parking.

mickEblu

@mickEblu Thanks for reaffirming why I haven't bothered visiting USH in years. At some point I do want to see WWOHP though.

I'm totally fine seeing USH every 5 years or so. WWOHP is really cool but I wouldn't plan a trip around it. ( I did because I live 15 minutes away from USH). If your coming from the bay I would just add it on to a DLR trip. Which I'm sure is probably the plan.

Oh ya, not a huge fan of butter beer. Way too sweet. Could use a shot or two of rum or whiskey to balance it out.

mickEblu

I was surprised that the grand dining hall wasn't part of the Harry Potter queue. It was such a huge part of the movie.

Rich T

I'm happy the DLR isn't the only theme/amusement park I can and do enjoy.... That reminds me, I'm due for a Magic Mountain trip!
As much as I'm dying to ride Twisted Colossus, the level of advertising and hucksterism at Six Flags Parks just keeps me away (and I'm not even going into the problem with parks-as-local-teen-AP-babysitters). In both the case of Magic Mtn. and Discovery Kingdom, there are beautiful parks in there being smothered by Six Flags tackiness. You know how you feel about SW in DL? That's kinda how I feel about what Six Flags has done to the parks they've taken over and what Cedar Fair has done to Knott's.

But, anyway, have a great time on Twisted Colossus and the refurbed Revolution--both look awesome! :)

D

Deleted member 107043

@Rich T I think I've outgrown theme parks TBH. Just this week someone asked me if I wanted to join them at Great America this weekend and I passed. The thought of standing in lines for a cheesy 30 second rides surround by a bunch of teens and junk food all day just didn't sound appealing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

As much as I'm dying to ride Twisted Colossus, the level of advertising and hucksterism at Six Flags Parks just keeps me away (and I'm not even going into the problem with parks-as-local-teen-AP-babysitters). In both the case of Magic Mtn. and Discovery Kingdom, there are beautiful parks in there being smothered by Six Flags tackiness. You know how you feel about SW in DL? That's kinda how I feel about what Six Flags has done to the parks they've taken over and what Cedar Fair has done to Knott's.

But, anyway, have a great time on Twisted Colossus and the refurbed Revolution--both look awesome! :)
They are awesome. You just have to be brave to put up with the other guests and the loud advertising. I find a playing music or listening to a book helps me not hear their colorful language. Not sure what to do with the 14 year old skanks.

mickEblu

I'm happy the DLR isn't the only theme/amusement park I can and do enjoy.... That reminds me, I'm due for a Magic Mountain trip!

I enjoy all of the theme parks for what they are. I just don't enjoy them as much as DLR. Aside from just the sheer number and variety of attractions, it has the nostalgia factor ( Walt, the scents, sounds, songs, music).

Speaking of smells, is it just me or do all of the Eateries in Springfield smell like the ball pit at chuckee cheese? Is that an actual scent they are pumping into the air like Disneyland does with the churros?

Californian Elitist

I enjoy all of the theme parks for what they are. I just don't enjoy them as much as DLR. Aside from just the sheer number and variety of attractions, it has the nostalgia factor ( Walt, the scents, sounds, songs, music).

Speaking of smells, is it just me or do all of the Eateries in Springfield smell like the ball pit at chuckee cheese? Is that an actual scent they are pumping into the air like Disneyland does with the churros?

I understand the nostalgia thing for Disneyland... I just happen to have similar feelings towards the other parks as well. My mom took me and my siblings everywhere as kids. We were all born in Los Angeles, so my mom didn't just stick to Disneyland. She took us to Knott's, Disney, the Santa Monica Pier, Six Flags, and other places. I had a lot of dance competitions at Magic Mountain as well, and those bring back great memories.

I love Disneyland for its history alone, but I do have a great time at the other SoCal spots.

Stevek

There's a very good reason why they were considering shutting down Magic Mountain due to gang-related activity a few years ago. Glad you guys had a good time, but I would steer clear at all costs.
I will say that I never felt unsafe or else I would have gotten my daughters and their friends out of there.

Rich T

I understand the nostalgia thing for Disneyland... I just happen to have similar feelings towards the other parks as well. My mom took me and my siblings everywhere as kids. We were all born in Los Angeles, so my mom didn't just stick to Disneyland. She took us to Knott's, Disney, the Santa Monica Pier, Six Flags, and other places. I had a lot of dance competitions at Magic Mountain as well, and those bring back great memories.

I love Disneyland for its history alone, but I do have a great time at the other SoCal spots.
My parents took me to all the other parks, too. But, back then in the 60's and 70's they were quite different. The Knotts of today is not nearly as charming, convincing, heartfelt and (here's that word again) "magical" as it was when the Knott family actually owned it and the theming was fantastic. And Magic Mountain--back when Goldrusher was the only coaster and the Galaxy wheel, El Bumpo, Eagle's Flight and the Metro Monorail existed--was a laid-back, beautiful, relaxing, low-key place to visit! And it cost, like, five bucks! :D

But you relate to what you grow up with. Good memories are good memories no matter what version of a park you love. :)

TP2000

I remember enjoying Spillikin's Corner at Magic Mountain. I used to get hand dipped candles there. And their monorail around the whole park was great! What it has become now is just something to be avoided, at least for those over 35.

Rich T

I remember enjoying Spillikin's Corner at Magic Mountain. I used to get hand dipped candles there. And their monorail around the whole park was great! What it has become now is just something to be avoided, at least for those over 35.
Spilikin's Corner was a great addition, along with that funky little Centennial Railroad. :D Around the same time, the Magic Pagoda fun house was... so bad it was kinda good. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom