Meanwhile at USH this weekend...

mickEblu

I love the mom-and-pop burger joints in Souther California. They taste much better than the popular chain restaurant burgers. In-N-Out and Fatburger are my exceptions. I'm a sucker for decades-old eateries, so I will definitely check out Bill's.

Love me some in n out. Even though, not all locations are created equally.

Please check out Bills and report back. I told my uncle the other day... "If you put a gun to my head and said the next burger you eat is the only one you can continue having for the rest of your life. I'd choose Bills.

Also I had to edit my earlier post. He's not open on weekends****

Oh ya and get the double cheeseburger. No onions. They are so light and airy the single doesn't really do much.

Californian Elitist

Love me some in n out. Even though, not all locations are created equally.

Please check out Bills and report back. I told my uncle the other day... "If you put a gun to my head and said the next burger you eat is the only one you can continue having for the rest of your life. I'd choose Bills.

Also I had to edit my earlier post. He's not open on weekends****

Oh ya and get the double cheeseburger. No onions. They are so light and airy the single doesn't really do much.

No onions???? That's one of the best parts of a burger. :(

dweezil78

Original Poster
I agree, although I have a weird soft spot for McDonalds double cheeseburgers. And now that I I lost all my credibility.... if your not too far from the San Fernando Valley, Try Bills burgers in Van Nuys. It's just a great burger. No frills. When I tried it for the first time, I thought to myself, this must be what the burger started out as. It's a tiny Shaq, run by Bill who s pushing 90, his ex wife and girlfriend. Place has been there since the 60's. I think I read that he gets his beef locally and it does smell "fresh" when it's on the grill. He's not open on weekends and only accepts cash. They don't even serve fries, just a bag of lays potato chips.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/bills-hamburgers-van-nuys

I lived about 2 minutes from Bill's for many years but sadly never got around to trying it... Always heard good things though.

mickEblu

I lived about 2 minutes from Bill's for many years but sadly never got around to trying it... Always heard good things though.

You need to try it Asap. I've lived fairly close pretty much my whole life and never even knew it was there until recently.

And I say ASAP because Bill is pushing 90. Not sure how much longer it ll be around.

Stevek

...and meanwhile at Six Flag Magic Mountain...

Took my daughter and 6 of her girlfriends yesterday for her 17th birthday. Her first time ever and my first time in 20+ years. Where to start.

The Good - Twisted Colossus is amazing. Rode it 2 times, absolutely loved it. Pretty much all of the big coasters that either the girls or I rode (I did Goliath, Colossus, Ninja & Revolution) were pretty good to great. Ninja is showing it's age. I seem to remember it being smooth but it was definitely a bit rougher and more jarring. Goliath was fantastic and we chose to ride Revolution without the VR masks as a courtesy to those around us. Last thing they want is to be covered with my hurl-age. It's still a fun coaster in any case.

The Bad - The crowd. Cheap tickets/passes bring the crowd you would expect. Questionable clothing choices, a large contingent of the Raiders wearing "gang banger" looking crowd and seriously, is the F word just normal language like "if" and "it" for you and me? I can't tell you how many times we were standing in line and the F bomb was thrown around like it was nothing. And don't get me started about the guys that were talking about their sexual exploits, with some graphic details thrown in. I seriously told them to shut the "H" up...which they did. The "grounds"...there are weeds everywhere, not so much in the flowerbeds but if you are riding a coaster and there is dirt beneath it (Ninja, Gold Rusher, etc), the ground is covered with weeds, random pieces of old broken trees, metal, junk...whatever...it's terrible show. Jet Stream...oh my, what has happened to this ride. I remember it being a nice gliding smooth boat ride. The boats themselves are now faded, ugly fiberglass. The flooring in our boat was literally falling apart and the boat itself had 3 inches of water. The ride is rough and painful as you bang against the walls through the flume. Hideous, terrible, sad.

The girls had a good time which is all that really matters but this is again a reminder why Disney can and chooses to keep pricing high. Not that Disney isn't without it's own challenges as far as guests are concerned but it truly is night and day.

Curious Constance

Took my daughter and 6 of her girlfriends yesterday for her 17th birthday. Her first time ever and my first time in 20+ years. Where to start.

The Good - Twisted Colossus is amazing. Rode it 2 times, absolutely loved it. Pretty much all of the big coasters that either the girls or I rode (I did Goliath, Colossus, Ninja & Revolution) were pretty good to great. Ninja is showing it's age. I seem to remember it being smooth but it was definitely a bit rougher and more jarring. Goliath was fantastic and we chose to ride Revolution without the VR masks as a courtesy to those around us. Last thing they want is to be covered with my hurl-age. It's still a fun coaster in any case.

The Bad - The crowd. Cheap tickets/passes bring the crowd you would expect. Questionable clothing choices, a large contingent of the Raiders wearing "gang banger" looking crowd and seriously, is the F word just normal language like "if" and "it" for you and me? I can't tell you how many times we were standing in line and the F bomb was thrown around like it was nothing. And don't get me started about the guys that were talking about their sexual exploits, with some graphic details thrown in. I seriously told them to shut the "H" up...which they did. The "grounds"...there are weeds everywhere, not so much in the flowerbeds but if you are riding a coaster and there is dirt beneath it (Ninja, Gold Rusher, etc), the ground is covered with weeds, random pieces of old broken trees, metal, junk...whatever...it's terrible show. Jet Stream...oh my, what has happened to this ride. I remember it being a nice gliding smooth boat ride. The boats themselves are now faded, ugly fiberglass. The flooring in our boat was literally falling apart and the boat itself had 3 inches of water. The ride is rough and painful as you bang against the walls through the flume. Hideous, terrible, sad.

The girls had a good time which is all that really matters but this is again a reminder why Disney can and chooses to keep pricing high. Not that Disney isn't without it's own challenges as far as guests are concerned but it truly is night and day.

People are so gross. I doubt I'll ever step foot in this place for all the reasons you described. I'm so glad Disney prices most of these people out and doesn't have the types of rides that tend to attract them. I'm not even easily offended, and I can't stand people like this. It's not the swearing itself, because as a non-religious, atheist, who has a fair amount of swearing in my home (mostly from my husband lol) the words themselves don't normally offend me, it's the blatant disrespect it shows that irritates me. This happens all the time, we'll be somewhere in line, I'll have my 12 and 8 year old with me and people around us just let whatever is on their mind loose. Bugs the h out of me.

Phroobar

Magic Mountain is pretty rough. It's all lower class teens and twenty year olds. There is a reason why they've had metal detectors for over twenty five years now. The coasters are very good and they are building a Buzz Lightyear shooter dark ride for next year based on the Justice League. It looks like a really fun kids ride. Six Flags has been improving things slowly but it is no were near Disney or even Knotts quality. The place is one big loud commercial for Twix or Red Bull.

Stevek

Magic Mountain is pretty rough. It's all lower class teens and twenty year olds. There is a reason why they've had metal detectors for over twenty five years now. The coasters are very good and they are building a Buzz Lightyear shooter dark ride for next year based on the Justice League. It looks like a really fun kids ride. Six Flags has been improving things slowly but it is no were near Disney or even Knotts quality. The place is one big loud commercial for Twix or Red Bull.
Yep, noticed the teen and 20's crowd but surprised (or maybe I shouldn't have been) by the older crowd that looked like they had been brewing meth before they came over.

TP2000

Yep, noticed the teen and 20's crowd but surprised (or maybe I shouldn't have been) by the older crowd that looked like they had been brewing meth before they came over.

The lower class in this country has truly devolved in the last 15 years, after slowly falling apart in the last few decades of the 20th century. It's really quite scary how they behave in public and in front of their kids, what they wear and how they present themselves to others. There really aren't any rules for them, and it's obvious they speak and think at about a 4th or 5th grade level of education even though they are grown adults. Truly terrifying to observe, especially when they are in large numbers like at a Six Flags park.

And it's the reason I was thrilled that the Raiders deal to return to LA fell apart and the Rams have become the LA team instead. If it had been the Raiders, going to the games would have been impossible for the population in the middle class or above.

I have absolutely no problem with Disneyland keeping their prices as high as the market can bear in order to keep the Six Flags crowd at Six Flags.

Phroobar

I read a study on how often different social classes use profanity. It said the lower classes use profanity as part of their language or dialect. It's not thought of as profanity with anger attached to it but instead is used as punctuation. The middle classes don't use profanity very often because they care how people around them will think of them. They see it as being uneducated. The most interesting one is the upper class use profanity all the time because they don't care what other people think of them. It is a way of showing dominance and intimidation.

Stevek

People are so gross. I doubt I'll ever step foot in this place for all the reasons you described. I'm so glad Disney prices most of these people out and doesn't have the types of rides that tend to attract them. I'm not even easily offended, and I can't stand people like this. It's not the swearing itself, because as a non-religious, atheist, who has a fair amount of swearing in my home (mostly from my husband lol) the words themselves don't normally offend me, it's the blatant disrespect it shows that irritates me. This happens all the time, we'll be somewhere in line, I'll have my 12 and 8 year old with me and people around us just let whatever is on their mind loose. Bugs the h out of me.
repent.jpg

Stevek

I read a study on how often different social classes use profanity. It said the lower classes use profanity as part of their language or dialect. It's not thought of as profanity with anger attached to it but instead is used as punctuation. The middle classes don't use profanity very often because they care how people around them will think of them. They see it as being uneducated. The most interesting one is the upper class use profanity all the time because they don't care what other people think of them. It is a way of showing dominance and intimidation.
Interesting you say that. I live in a primarily middle to middle upper class neighborhood and kids (boys and girls), from reasonably wealthy families cuss much more than you would think. Again, likes it's a part of every day talk. I think part of what you say is very true but I also think that social norms have changed much more where parents have zero problem swearing in front of their very young kids and anyone else in the room and I've even seen parents introducing their children (under 16) to alcohol. This is something that never would have occurred in my household or my friends in the 70's and 80's

Phroobar

English is a funny language. We have words that we are not supposed to use. When we do use them, we use them for things they dont mean.

mickEblu

Rode Forbidden Journey for the first time yesterday. Hadn't been to USH in over four years so I figured it was a good time to go as there were actually a handful of attractions I had yet to experience. Unlike Disneyland, where I have been on everything countless times. Just a few words to sum up the day. Motion.Simulator.And.3D.Fatigue. At one point I rode FBJ, Simpsons, and Minions Mayhem back to back to back and it was just too much. Didn't get sick but it just got repetitive and boring.

THE GREAT: The Queue for Forbidden Journey and its ride system are fantastic! The sets are pretty good too. I love how it appears that you are on a simple omnimover in the loading area until Hernoine casts her spell.

I was able to ride FJ 4 times and I Only waited a grand total of about 15 minutes. The first time we attempted to ride, the ride malfunctioned right before hermoine was going to cast her spell. Anyway, after sitting in the vehicle in the load zone for 15 minutes and Back to the front of the line for another 15, I was given a front of the line password by the CM That was good "all day." I took this of course as, I could use it as many times as I wanted, all day. ;)

Three broomsticks and The Hogs head pub have to be the best themed eatery at any theme park... Except for blue Bayou. The sunday roast was pretty good.

THE GOOD/ MEH: The actual ride experience left me a little underwhelmed. Probably from years of reading opinions that it's one of, if not the best attraction in the world. So it obviously would be very hard to match my expectations. I think I would have enjoyed it much more without the 3D. Is it just me or are the 3D segments very dark and blurry? Anyway the ride is good but the shining star is the Kuka arm. I didn't feel like I was being flung around as I had previously read. It was smooth and really works for the Harry Potter ride. The integration between screens and sets were pretty good especially into the Dementor set. But then it gets kind of repetitive with Dementor after Dementor doing the same thing. And the rubber spider after rubber spider is a little underwhelming as well.

THE I HAVE NO DESIRE TO RIDE THESE AGAIN EVEN AS AN ANNUAL
PASSHOLDER (Costco pass):

First time riding minions. Did not like it. Was also at the end Of a long day of riding motion simulators. Felt like a scaled down Simpsons. Simpsons is cool but I wouldn't wait longer than 10 minutes. Transformers is good but not my cup of tea. For some reason I just can't get into the motion simulator rides. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy Peter Pan but for some reason (too many screens) cannot get into these rides.

Not including the Tram tour ( which I couldn't enjoy as there was a group of Tourists in my section with one guy right behind my ear that was literally translating every single word being spoken to the group. I could only make out about half of what the tram tour guide was saying), the top 3 rides in te park for me are still Jurassic Park, the Mummy and now Forbidden Journey.

THE TERRIBLE: Fast n the Furious. Wow, was this bad. From the dumb interruptions of the tram tour to the over all cheese factor to the feeling of being thrown into a 90's video game. Just awful. I liked the old spinning snow tunnel more.

Oh ya, shout out to @raven24 for helping me not waste $150 in front of the line passes. I didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything.

Almost forgot, If there's anything Universal loves more than motions simulators, it's spraying water in your face.... And one more thing, the walking dead walk thru was pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Rode Forbidden Journey for the first time yesterday. Hadn't been to USH in over four years so I figured it was a good time to go as there were actually a handful of attractions I had yet to experience. Unlike Disneyland, where I have been on everything countless times. Just a few words to sum up the day. Motion.Simulator.And.3D.Fatigue. At one point I rode FBJ, Simpsons, and Minions Mayhem back to back to back and it was just too much. Didn't get sick but it just got repetitive and boring.

THE GREAT: The Queue for Forbidden Journey and its ride system are fantastic! The sets are pretty good too. I love how it appears that you are on a simple omnimover in the loading area until Hernoine casts her spell.

I was able to ride FJ 4 times and I Only waited a grand total of about 15 minutes. The first time we attempted to ride, the ride malfunctioned right before hermoine was going to cast her spell. Anyway, after sitting in the vehicle in the load zone for 15 minutes and Back to the front of the line for another 15, I was given a front of the line password by the CM That was good "all day." I took this of course as, I could use it as many times as I wanted, all day. ;)

Three broomsticks and The Hogs head pub have to be the best themed eatery at any theme park... Except for blue Bayou. The sunday roast was pretty good.

THE GOOD/ MEH: The actual ride experience left me a little underwhelmed. Probably from years of reading opinions that it's one of, if not the best attraction in the world. So it obviously would be very hard to match my expectations. I think I would have enjoyed it much more without the 3D. Is it just me or are the 3D segments very dark and blurry? Anyway the ride is good but the shining star is the Kuka arm. I didn't feel like I was being flung around as I had previously read. It was smooth and really works for the Harry Potter ride. The integration between screens and sets were pretty good especially into the Dementor set. But then it gets kind of repetitive with Dementor after Dementor doing the same thing. And the rubber spider after rubber spider is a little underwhelming as well.

THE I HAVE NO DESIRE TO RIDE THESE AGAIN EVEN AS AN ANNUAL
PASSHOLDER (Costco pass):

First time riding minions. Did not like it. Was also at the end Of a long day of riding motion simulators. Felt like a scaled down Simpsons. Simpsons is cool but I wouldn't wait longer than 10 minutes. Transformers is good but not my cup of tea. For some reason I just can't get into the motion simulator rides. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy Peter Pan but for some reason (too many screens) cannot get into these rides.

Not including the Tram tour ( which I couldn't enjoy as there was a group of Tourists in my section with one guy right behind my ear that was literally translating every single word being spoken to the group. I could only make out about half of what the tram tour guide was saying), the top 3 rides in te park for me are still Jurassic Park, the Mummy and now Forbidden Journey.

THE TERRIBLE: Fast n the Furious. Wow, was this bad. From the dumb interruptions of the tram tour to the over all cheese factor to the feeling of being thrown into a 90's video game. Just awful. I liked the old spinning snow tunnel more.

Oh ya, shout out to @raven24 for helping me not waste $150 in front of the line passes. I didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything.

Almost forgot, If there's anything Universal loves more than motions simulators, it's spraying water in your face.... And one more thing, the walking dead walk thru was pretty damn good.
I use to dispise USH but they've actually made some good changes in recent years. It's a shame they don't have more kids rides now that I'm a parent. Universal Orlando blows this place out of the water and is a must visit. They actually have dark rides that are not 3D base.

Earl Sweatpants

There's a very good reason why they were considering shutting down Magic Mountain due to gang-related activity a few years ago. Glad you guys had a good time, but I would steer clear at all costs.

Rich T

@mickEblu Thanks for reaffirming why I haven't bothered visiting USH in years. At some point I do want to see WWOHP though.
Same here. In my case, I'm sure it's also just plain me getting older, but any time I look at the cost of a potential visit to USH, Magic Mtn, Great America or even Knott's, I always come to the conclusion that I'd simply have more fun and get a better bang for my buck at DLR. Even the last time I went to our local County Fair, I ended up wasting so much money on parking, admission, ride tickets and bad food that when all was said and done it cost the same as a day at Disneyland.

The only non-Disney CA park I still visit regularly is the Santa Cruz Boardwalk because 1) Giant Dipper 2) It's clean and well run and 3)No admission price means you can spend as much or as little cash and time as you like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom