Meanwhile at USH this weekend...

Stevek

I understand the nostalgia thing for Disneyland... I just happen to have similar feelings towards the other parks as well. My mom took me and my siblings everywhere as kids. We were all born in Los Angeles, so my mom didn't just stick to Disneyland. She took us to Knott's, Disney, the Santa Monica Pier, Six Flags, and other places. I had a lot of dance competitions at Magic Mountain as well, and those bring back great memories.

I love Disneyland for its history alone, but I do have a great time at the other SoCal spots.
We went to Knott's far more as kids during the 70's, Disneyland was once or twice a year and the occasional visit to a very different Universal Studios. Six Flags was just never on the radar for my parents and I didn't go until probably my junior year of High School. Was just a bit of a road trip from Torrance. They all have their positives and negatives but Disneyland delivers quality that none of the others can touch...but you do end up paying for that quality.

Stevek

I remember enjoying Spillikin's Corner at Magic Mountain. I used to get hand dipped candles there. And their monorail around the whole park was great! What it has become now is just something to be avoided, at least for those over 35.
The good old Metro. And I completely forgot they had a Gran Prix raceway. Anyone remember Freefall or the Sarajevo Bobsleds? I actually rode the latter...don't think it lasted very long.

8%20MM%20Gran%20prix_Metro.jpg

4e8f9c9b3e5fb270ab07131bad9eae57.jpg

Californian Elitist

We went to Knott's far more as kids during the 70's, Disneyland was once or twice a year and the occasional visit to a very different Universal Studios. Six Flags was just never on the radar for my parents and I didn't go until probably my junior year of High School. Was just a bit of a road trip from Torrance. They all have their positives and negatives but Disneyland delivers quality that none of the others can touch...but you do end up paying for that quality.

I agree that Disneyland is top-notch in terms of offerings. However, when I visit other parks, I don't look for Disneyland. My expectations differ, based on where I go. When I visit the Santa Monica Pier, I know I'm going to get cheap, rinka- carnival rides...and I love every second of it haha. Maybe that's why I can enjoy different theme parks.

Rich T

The good old Metro. And I completely forgot they had a Gran Prix raceway. Anyone remember Freefall or the Sarajevo Bobsleds? I actually rode the latter...don't think it lasted very long.
I rode the Bobsleds, too, and will never forget how that very last turn into the brake run banged everyone's knees *every* *single* *time*. :D It was quickly replaced (using the same boarding station) by the Shockwave prototype stand-up coaster, which was also very short-lived.

Fun trivia: Epcot's original Dreamfinder, Ron Schneider, worked at Magic Mtn. as a ride operator on Grand Prix! He also was one of the park's "Mountain Men" who worked with the live lion.

BTW, I loved those old, rough-as-heck Freefall towers. To this day, I still can't figure out why they were so much scarier than today's drop rides, at least to me.

Rich T

Wow, there used to be a similar ride at Marriott's Great America back in the day called the Sky Whirl. I've only been to Magic Mountain once, and I'm pretty sure that the Galaxy wasn't there.
Sky Whirl at Great America made me really motion sick... the full ride cycle lasted about 10-15 minutes! But it was certainly an impressive-looking ride! Loved early Great America! :D

Galaxy at MM was replaced by the pirate ship and swing, built right on the Galaxy's original load/unload arenas. :(

Phroobar

I will say that I never felt unsafe or else I would have gotten my daughters and their friends out of there.
I have to agree. I feel completely safe at Magic Mountain. I'm more likely to get hurt on the rides than from the guests. They do have very good security. Unlike Disneyland, line jumping is removal from the park and they enforce it. No cast member is going to kick out someone because they line jumped at Disneyland. Every line at Disneyland there is someone pushing pass me to get to their fake friend or relative that staked out line space for everyone else that was on a different ride.

Rich T

I miss the Magic Pagoda with it's talking Buddha face and flying rubber chickens. Too bad the building is totally falling apart.
Remember the strobe light room with the paper dragon flying around on an overhead rail? After the attraction closed for good, I went to an early-80's Halloween night (pre-haunt era) where they'd turned the Pagoda into a walk-through past genuine classic movie props from Sci Fi films (Time Machine, King Kong, etc.). It was neat, but also sad to see the fun house gutted.

Phroobar

I rode the Bobsleds, too, and will never forget how that very last turn into the brake run banged everyone's knees *every* *single* *time*. :D It was quickly replaced (using the same boarding station) by the Shockwave prototype stand-up coaster, which was also very short-lived.

Fun trivia: Epcot's original Dreamfinder, Ron Schneider, worked at Magic Mtn. as a ride operator on Grand Prix! He also was one of the park's "Mountain Men" who worked with the live lion.

BTW, I loved those old, rough-as-heck Freefall towers. To this day, I still can't figure out why they were so much scarier than today's drop rides, at least to me.
I remember the Bobsleds where over by Apocalypse is now. The ride was so slow it felt like it was never going to make it all the way around the track unless we tried to push it.

Freefall was way more scary than the TOT is now. Your taken to the top of the tower, pushed out and you land on your back. DLP was suppose to get a ride like that where you were shot out of a volcano. The proposed Gyser Mountain used similar tech.

Freefall_at_SFOG.jpg

Phroobar

Remember the strobe light room with the paper dragon flying around on an overhead rail? After the attraction closed for good, I went to an early-80's Halloween night (pre-haunt era) where they'd turned the Pagoda into a walk-through past genuine classic movie props from Sci Fi films (Time Machine, King Kong, etc.). It was neat, but also sad to see the fun house gutted.
I do remember that. I think the building is used for Fright Fest now. It scary because the building is falling apart.

TP2000

Summer is winding down, so here's another look at wait times this very hot afternoon, from the official apps...

Universal Studios Hollywood - Park Hours 9am to 7pm

Tram Tour - 5 Minutes (last tram departs at 5:15pm)
Walking Dead Walk-Thru - 15 Minutes
Transformers - 10 Minutes
Mummy Coaster - 5 Minutes
Jurassic Park - 15 Minutes
Harry Potter - 10 Minutes
Hippogriff Coaster - 5 Minutes

Disneyland Resort - Park Hours, Disneyland 10am to 9pm, DCA 10am to 8pm

Hyperspace Mt. - 60 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 60 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 45 Minutes
Soarin' Over The World - 35 Minutes
Star Tours - 35 Minutes
Grizzly River Run - 35 Minutes
Peter Pan's Flight - 30 Minutes
Midway Mania - 15 Minutes

What's interesting is how the commentary here and on other sites has changed. Prior to Potter opening there was constant chatter about how Disneyland may see lower attendance, AP's would abandon Disneyland for Universal, Disneyland would be forced to respond, Universal will be packed every day, etc., etc.

That didn't happen. Disneyland still has very strong attendance and hasn't changed in any way to take on Potter. Universal had higher attendance this summer than last and Potter seems to be a great success story for them. But considering that in 2015 Universal Studios Hollywood had attendance estimated by the TEA report at 7 Million compared to the 28 Million at Disneyland Resort, there's not much chance that would have any real impact on Disneyland 60 minutes south of them.

If anything, the addition of Potter strengthened the SoCal Tourism Industry as a whole, which would benefit Disneyland quite nicely as the top dog in the yard. I imagine smaller parks like Legoland and Sea World suffered though, as more of the "extra day" visit to a second theme park went to Universal Studios this year instead of them.

D

Deleted member 107043

What's interesting is how the commentary here and on other sites has changed. Prior to Potter opening there was constant chatter about how Disneyland may see lower attendance, AP's would abandon Disneyland for Universal, Disneyland would be forced to respond, Universal will be packed every day, etc., etc.

Yep, and don't forget all the dire predictions that DL attendance would also take a hit because a handful of attractions would be shuttered for SW construction. :rolleyes:

On another note did anyone else catch the news today that USF confirmed double digit price hikes for its AP prices, with one pass increasing 36%?

FerretAfros

I remember the Bobsleds where over by Apocalypse is now. The ride was so slow it felt like it was never going to make it all the way around the track unless we tried to push it.

Freefall was way more scary than the TOT is now. Your taken to the top of the tower, pushed out and you land on your back. DLP was suppose to get a ride like that where you were shot out of a volcano. The proposed Gyser Mountain used similar tech.

Freefall_at_SFOG.jpg
I only got the chance to ride an Intamin freefall once (well, a few times on one day), but I thought it was great. The push forward was definitely scarier than any other drop ride I've done, and the transition to lying on your back was surprisingly easy and comfortable. Returning to the unload was a little awkward, but the whole thing had a great sense of novelty to it

The original plan for Tower of Terror was actually just a heavily-themed Intamin freefall ride. The early concept art clearly shows that the drop would be stopped by the vehicles sliding down on their backs, and then popping up to continue to ride. It appears that there would have been multiple drops along the way, which would have required some modifications to the ride system, but the basis of design is pretty clear.

I've always had a hunch that this concept (based on the existing technology at the time) led to the 4th Dimension room in WDW, even though it was entirely unnecessary for technical reasons; at the time everybody just assumed that a drop ride must have some sort of forward motion, so Disney included it too
tower_of_terror_concept.jpg

In addition the Geyser Mountain proposal for DLP's Frontierland, there was a different proposal to include a freefall ride in the never-built Discovery Mountain, which was to include multiple attractions within a larger Space Mountain-like structure. Although it never came to fruition (building a more traditional roller coaster for Space Mountain instead), several elements were already installed in the park that can still be seen today, including openings in the Videopolis building for the upper level walkway connection and railings with the decorative DM logo
Discovery Mountain:
space-mountain-interior-web.jpg

Geyser Mountain:
GeyserMountain1.jpg~original

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom