Meanwhile at USH this weekend...

GiveMeTheMusic

I remember when my daughter was 2 and 1/2 and we took her for her first trip to DL (and mine and my husband's too) some lady I worked with asked how old our daughter was, and when I told her, she's all, "Oh. So you're obviously going for yourselves and not her since she'll never remember it."

I don't understand this view point. Who cares if we were going for ourselves, and should I put my daughter in a dark closet and not interact with her at all until she's able to retain the memory for the rest of her life?! I understand going to Disneyland isn't necessary for a 2 1/2 year old, but if I want to go, why the heck not?

You're a monster.

Curious Constance

You're a monster.
I can't argue with that, look at my driver's license photo....

upload_2016-7-7_11-16-54.png

Phroobar

That was the point of view back then. Why go to Disneyland if the kids aren't old enough to remember it? Why would you want to go there anyway? It's for kids only. You should stay home and smoke and drink until your forced to go with the kids like every other red blooded american!

D

Deleted member 107043

That was the point of view back then. Why go to Disneyland if the kids aren't old enough to remember it? Why would you want to go there anyway? It's for kids only. You should stay home and smoke and drink until your forced to go with the kids like every other red blooded american!

In a brilliant move several decades ago Disney took that perception and turned it on its head by focusing its P&R marketing on nostalgia and catering to Disney "geeks". The result is that the parks have never been busier and guest spending is through the roof. The Disney Parks Blog, D23, and the Show Your Disney Side campaign are some good examples of how they've actively cultivated a strong adult fan base.

mickEblu

Without the Internet, Disneyland would still be seen as a place to take your kids for the day or maybe on a date. Back in the 70's or 80's if you told someone that you were going to Disneyland for the day they would have looked at you funny since you didn't have kids.

When I was in high school in the late 90s it still wasn't cool to like Disneyland. It was cool to go to Magic Mountain. Im curious what you think the Internet has to do with this new phenomenon?

ForeverAnna

I remember when my daughter was 2 and 1/2 and we took her for her first trip to DL (and mine and my husband's too) some lady I worked with asked how old our daughter was, and when I told her, she's all, "Oh. So you're obviously going for yourselves and not her since she'll never remember it."

I don't understand this view point. Who cares if we were going for ourselves, and should I put my daughter in a dark closet and not interact with her at all until she's able to retain the memory for the rest of her life?! I understand going to Disneyland isn't necessary for a 2 1/2 year old, but if I want to go, why the heck not?

I hate that mind set. People do all sorts of things with their kids before they are old enough to remember. Just because they won't remember next month or next year doesn't mean they won't enjoy the experience now.

Disneyhead'71

It is possible to have a good time and still not remember it. :angelic:

mickEblu

In a brilliant move several decades ago Disney took that perception and turned it on its head by focusing its P&R marketing on nostalgia and catering to Disney "geeks". The result is that the parks have never been busier and guest spending is through the roof. The Disney Parks Blog, D23, and the Show Your Disney Side campaign are some good examples of how they've actively cultivated a strong adult fan base.

I can't believe there was a time when it wasn't cool (for adults) to go to Disneyland. I wouldn't want to live in that world. Lol

It's still not all that cool though. When my family and friends see my going to DLR once a month it's kind of like "cute, we get it, your a dork." I get that once a month is different from what must of been going on in the 70s / 80's where apparently it was weird to go even one time without kids. But I'm guessing this wasn't limited to the 70s and 80s and probably was the case from the time park opened in the 50s up through the 90s

mickEblu

I hate that mind set. People do all sorts of things with their kids before they are old enough to remember. Just because they won't remember next month or next year doesn't mean they won't enjoy the experience now.

Seriously, human beings remember what? 1% of our lives? If that. It's about living in the moment. Which is easier said then done sometimes.

Disneyhead'71

I can't believe there was a time when it wasn't cool (for adults) to go to Disneyland. I wouldn't want to live in that world. Lol

It's still not all that cool though. When my family and friends see my going to DLR once a month it's kind of like "cute, we get it, your a dork." I get that once a month is different from what must of been going on in the 70s / 80's where apparently it was weird to go even one time without kids. But I'm guessing this wasn't limited to the 70s and 80s and probably was the case from the time park opened in the 50s up through the 90s
It was a time when American men acted like Marlon Brando instead of Seth Rogan.

D

Deleted member 107043

When my family and friends see my going to DLR once a month it's kind of like "cute, we get it, your a dork." I get that once a month is different from what must of been going on in the 70s / 80's where apparently it was weird to go even one time without kids. But I'm guessing this wasn't limited to the 70s and 80s and probably was the case from the time park opened in the 50s up through the 90s

Keep in mind that back in the 70s there were no annual passes, so your Disneyland obsession would have seemed even weirder to most people. In those days it was unusual for anyone to visit a local theme park more than a couple of times a year.

Curious Constance

Right?! And lots of positive family experiences will likely make for a happier, well adjusted child even if they don't remember the exact memory. Of course, I could do the same thing by singing a song in my living room, but it's my business if I choose to go on vacation to DL with my child.

Phroobar

Keep in mind that back in the 70s there were no annual passes, so your Disneyland obsession would have seemed even weirder to most people. In those days it was unusual for anyone to visit a local theme park more than a couple of times a year.
My aunt got an annual pass to Disneyland back when they were first available in 1984. It was $65 with no black out days. This was when regular admission was $14.

It was a time when American men acted like Marlon Brando instead of Seth Rogan.
I miss those days of muscle cars and baseball.

Sure, ask @Endor Sightseer. I jest. ;)

yookeroo

Especially when it's possible to smoke and drink at Disneyland!

Ain't that the truth.

Curious Constance

I went to WDW as a teenager, and I literally can't remember anything about the it. The only memory I have is my mom and brother using the chicken exit on Space Mountain. I think I was sun poisoned or something. Only in Florida, right?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom