Meanwhile at USH this weekend...

dweezil78

Original Poster
You might like the VR thing on the Revolution. Personally, it made me sick. I took the helmet off half way through the ride. I think the ride is better without the gimmick.

Yeah, I'm really curious as to how well it syncs up and what the potential for motion sickness is -- especially as the Gear VR lacks the positional tracking that the Oculus Rift has, so if at any point you try to lean forward (admittedly rare on a coaster, I know), it could mess you up pretty bad.

Still, I'm a tech junkie at heart so more curious than anything just to give it a whirl though I'm sure I will always prefer seeing the real environment vs. a graphical one!

mickEblu

Universal pricing their one day ticket prices similarly to Disney's isn't new. They've been like that for years now. BUT they used to offer more discounted ticket prices, like buy one day get a day, etc. And of course the humongous increase in APs is probably making the biggest dent in their low visitors.

I wasn't aware that the prices have always been so close. In any case, I would assume they would do a lot better if they priced themselves a little more aggressively.

Why do more APs = less visitors? Are they all blacked out right now or something?

Curious Constance

I wasn't aware that the prices have always been so close. In any case, I would assume they would do a lot better if they priced themselves a little more aggressively.

Why do more APs = less visitors? Are they all blacked out right now or something?

Oops, I meant the humongous price increase for obtaining an AP is effecting crowds for the negative.

BrianLo

By the way, these were the wait times I had on that Thursday back in early June during the afternoon period. Maybe we got unlucky seeing as more recent ones seem lower.

Universal Studios Hollywood

Tram Tour - 45 minutes
Harry Potter - 80 Minutes
Hippogriff - 45 Minutes
Transformers - 50 Minutes
Jurassic Park - 50 Minutes
Despicable Me - 30 Minutes

Honestly, I wouldn't even put a whole ton of credence into 'wait times'. The park was bordering on feeling uncomfortably overcrowded with those times. SDL was posting wait times in the 300 minute range and I generally found the park to feel like a low-moderate crowd level by comparison as far as walkways were concerned.

USH's main issue is guest space. They can throw a few attractions on the periphery of the lower lot (without increasing much guest standing area), but that's probably going to make it worse. They desperately need general space.

They are smart to have aggressively priced the park to keep the crowds reasonable.

Californian Elitist

Here are my thoughts on WWoHP, Hollywood edition:

WWoHP does a fantastic job of making one feel like they are a a character from the Harry Potter books/films. The sheer amount of details in this area is almost overwhelming. The shops in particular... Wow. I was VERY impressed with the Ollivander's Shop mini show. It brought me back to my childhood and the day I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for he first time in theaters. The nostalgia!

I didn't get the chance to eat in the land, but I definitely plan on doing that during my next visit. I did make it a point to try the frozen butterbeer, and it was SO GOOD. Yum!

Walking up to Hogwarts Castle was one of the best feelings. Can't really put it into words. Something else I really can't put into (simple) words is Forbidden Journey. The queue itself is an attraction, and it is by far the most impressive queue I've ever seen in any theme park. The actual ride...talk about sensory overload. The weeping willow and dementors sections!:jawdrop::eek: My entire family, including myself, got off the ride in complete shock. After the shock wore off, we all laughed and stumbled our way out of the ride (I was legit dizzy); we all enjoyed it, except my six year-old nephew, who was terrified by it.

Flight of the Hippogriff, while clearly not as exciting and entertaining as Forbidden Journey, is still a cute kiddie coaster. Loved seeing Hagrid's hut in the queue. In saying this, I feel the ride is too short. Yes, I know it's a kiddie coaster, but still.

The only issue I have with our version of WWoHP is the view past Hogwarts... The Team Services building, a backstage building for employees, is COMPLETELY visible. I could also see bits of City Walk. While these sights didn't completely ruin the experience for me, they did bother me. Something needs to be done about that. Build a wall, or something.

Other thoughts regarding the park...

I hate Shrek 4-D. I really wish they would destroy it already and make room for something else. It is sssooo bad.

Love, love, love the new entrance. Much more classy, and while I hate to see yet another Starbucks in the park, I can admit it looks very nice. Love the new look of Hollywood Grill. It looked very cheap and tacky before.

I didn't like seeing a food shop where the Universal Experience used to be. It made me sad and a little angry. Why they would get rid of unique and interesting for another food shop is beyond me. Just goes to show that both Disney and Universal make poor decisions.

As usual, looking forward to returning!

D

Deleted member 107043

Current wait times at Uni at approximately 8:30pm the day after Independance Day from Universalstudioshollywood.com.

UPPER LOT
Studio Tour (last tram 8:45) 15 min
The Walking Dead Attraction 5 min
Simpsons 30 min
Despicable Me 30 min
WaterWorld 8:30 PM
Special Effects Show LAST SHOW 7:50
Animal Actors LAST SHOW 7:00
Shrek 4D 20 min

THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER™ (UPPER LOT)
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™ 45 min
Flight of the Hippogriff™ 10 min

LOWER LOT
Transformers 20 min
Jurassic Park 10 min
Revenge of the Mummy 20 min

GiveMeTheMusic

Current wait times at Uni at approximately 8:30pm the day after Independance Day from Universalstudioshollywood.com.

UPPER LOT
Studio Tour (last tram 8:45) 15 min
The Walking Dead Attraction 5 min
Simpsons 30 min
Despicable Me 30 min
WaterWorld 8:30 PM
Special Effects Show LAST SHOW 7:50
Animal Actors LAST SHOW 7:00
Shrek 4D 20 min

THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER™ (UPPER LOT)
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™ 45 min
Flight of the Hippogriff™ 10 min

LOWER LOT
Transformers 20 min
Jurassic Park 10 min
Revenge of the Mummy 20 min

DLR had a very slow weekend, with waits at RSR and Hyperspace rarely exceeding an hour. Highly unusual for a holiday weekend. Meanwhile, HPFJ peaked at 180 minutes over the holiday weekend at USH.

Attendance is down at all SoCal parks this summer and it shows no signs of letting up.

Disneyhead'71

Yeah it's hard to judge the popularity purely on FJ's wait time. At IOA FJ rarely has the longest wait time even though it is by far the most popular ride in that park.

That being said I still believe DLR is a far better value than USH and the crowds seem to agree. A few years from now that may not be the case as USH continues to expand.
Soooo, you're saying that a multi-park destination theme park resort has more to do than a movie studio that has added a few attractions?

Did anyone actually think that adding one Harry Potter ride to USH was going bankrupt DLR?

Curious Constance

I wonder how much the variable pricing approach is playing into this.
I don't know, maybe more so than initially thought.
Wasn't the off season crazy busy at the DLR?
Probably partially due to the new pricing and mostly due to blocked out APs.
Do we know that summer attendance is lower than last summer?
Because summer always seems less crazy to me with all the APs blocked.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I wonder what Disney's limit on pricing is? I guess it depends on when Disneyland will become uncool again like it did in the 70's.

Was this really the view of the general population during the 70's? Or pre teens/ teens during the 70's? Ive never heard about this before.

I think with the constant ticket price hikes, it will most likely be "Disneyland is not worth it" before "it's not cool." There has to be a breaking point somewhere. What is it? 200$ for a one day, one park?

Disneyhead'71

Was this really the view of the general population during the 70's? Or pre teens/ teens during the 70's? Ive never heard about this before.

I think with the constant ticket price hikes, it will most likely be "Disneyland is not worth it" before "it's not cool." There has to be a breaking point somewhere. What is it? 200$ for a one day, one park?
Disney was pretty uncool in the '70s. But in the modern age of the American Man Child, Disney is golden.

Phroobar

Without the Internet, Disneyland would still be seen as a place to take your kids for the day or maybe on a date. Back in the 70's or 80's if you told someone that you were going to Disneyland for the day they would have looked at you funny since you didn't have kids.

Curious Constance

I remember when my daughter was 2 and 1/2 and we took her for her first trip to DL (and mine and my husband's too) some lady I worked with asked how old our daughter was, and when I told her, she's all, "Oh. So you're obviously going for yourselves and not her since she'll never remember it."

I don't understand this view point. Who cares if we were going for ourselves, and should I put my daughter in a dark closet and not interact with her at all until she's able to retain the memory for the rest of her life?! I understand going to Disneyland isn't necessary for a 2 1/2 year old, but if I want to go, why the heck not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom