Master of the Parks: Challenge 2 - Lost Imagination.

Matt7187

Uh, well I prefer the vote! Also, I don't think whether my posts are liked as much as @jdmdisney99 really matters. I'm sorry, but I don't have cookies to give you if you vote for me. I'm a horrible cook! I am also a 13 year old from Pennsylvania. I have been to Disneyland once and wdw around 13 times, 12 of those in the last 4 years. Although I haven't done so hot so far, I know I can do better and will do better next round. If I am given a chance to compete for another round, I promise I will not disappoint.

BryceM

Original Poster
What happened to the other judges anyways?
I'm not sure. MA Screamin' has been absent this whole thing and I don't know where Tip Top Club. It would be nice to get some feedback about what to do about the elimination. If we are all unanimous on the last place decision, then we won't vote. But if we disagree, the vote may be necessary.

A new judge may be necessary to replace MA Screamin' at this point. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Tip Top Club

Hey Ya'll, I'm not dead I promise. I was at work 'til One AM tonight, so I only got through three of your proposals. I promise to get to the rest soon.

@ctxak98
Well I absolutely adore your façade, I can definitely picture that. It would be bright colorful, and add a wonderful kinetic energy to that area of the park. WONDERFUL!

I’m not sure if I like the idea of an interactive ride at EPCOT, but I guess if it was going to be anywhere, Imagination makes sense, and I like that it’s not just a basic shooter, spreading color and whatnot sounds like fun. I also like the finale, I can definitely picture a giant dragon. Ultimately, it’s a fine idea, there’s a lot to like about it. I’m not sure if I love it though. I have to say though, that the exterior is just wonderful, I think that’s a wonderful way to differentiate the new from the old, and the colors and excitement would just be perfect for this area of the park. Huge points for that very creative.

I also really enjoy the detail you put into all the interactive activities inside the Dream House. I think this would be a great place to play, I could picture my eight-year-old self having a blast here while mom and dad sat in the corner and took a rest.

Overall, I just can’t get over the exterior, perfect. I’m not really sure what I think of putting in a second ride to replace the theater, There’s a lot of capacity lost there, but still well done.

@techee
I’m not sure I understand your queue experience. It doesn’t seem to scream imagination to me. And I’m just not sure that bringing back Dreamfinder is the right move. EPCOT is about the future, you can only go so far by looking to the past. I didn’t mention it in CTX’s proposal because he was looking at Dreamfinder in a whole new way, whereas you are saying that you want to keep it close to the original, which is something I discouraged.

It seems like your art scene has potential, but it would probably just be screens, which can get boring, when I was reading it I was imagining that it might work better in an imageworks type setting, instead of watching Figment mess with famous pieces of art, why not allow everyone to do it? And I have similar concerns with your other scenes as well. Literary figures coming out of books? It seems like a lot of famous literary characters are Disney Characters, and those that aren’t Disney probably doesn’t have the rights to, there’s a fine line to walk there. The performing arts scene seems out of place, Can’t guests experience an entire park about the thrill of Hollywood right next door? The finale doesn’t really seem like a finale either. (Points for use of the word Outro though)

I really enjoy all your interactive stuff though. Wonderful job the post show, especially brining in the Paint-n-play stuff. Great interactive stuff there, I can definitely see Eight-year-old me enjoying that.

I’m not sure what I think of the 3-D show. It seems to me like if you’re going to stick with a classic 3-D show that you really have to go above and beyond, since so many blockbuster movies are released in 3-D now. I wish you’d have gone into more detail here. Also I’m not a fan of moving EO to Magic Kingdom. Like I said, look to the future, the past can only take you so far.

@WED99
Obviously there is a lot happening here, VERY well done.

That being said, I do have a few things to say. Namely about the Imagiscanner. It’s certainly an interesting Idea and we told you to shoot for the moon and use new technology, so you’ve certainly done that, well done. That being said, The idea of a device that more or less reads your mind, might be unsettling to some people. I know it is for me. (Don’t worry, no points lost here, just a few comments). I wasn’t familiar with this technology prior to reading your proposal, and I can barely say I’m familiar with it now. Can you imagine what might run through some redneck hick’s mind when being handed this mind-reading device? Or a Brazillian Tour Groups? We told you to shoot for the moon, and I’m pretty sure you shot right past the moon and landed somewhere in the Asteroid Belt. The devices themselves can’t possibly be cheap either, I can imagine them breaking like crazy. Which could ultimately lead to it’s destruction. After all, is gas is considered too expensive to run Lights, Motors, Action and the Speedway, which are constantly rumored to be replaced, how expensive would it be to have to constantly replace these devices?

The ride itself however is mind-blowing. It’s certainly different, it might not be my cup of tea though. It does seem to aim much more for the children than the adults, I’m not sure if that was your goal, but from what I gather it really does. Excellent job with the pre-show dialogue as well, I think you lost some of your enthusiasm toward the end though, it does seem to putter out a little bit dialogue wise. (Granted your proposal is great, so I am judging you a bit harshly, but I hope you understand what I mean)

I have to say that from an operational standpoint I do have a concern about the vehicles as well. Test Track has proven that three-across is a nightmare. They are constantly sending empty seats and people rarely travel in groups of three. Consider the idea of making them four across. It’s much more even and higher throughput.

I really love the idea of the Figment’s House attraction Walkthough and Brainstorming attraction (I think you might have caught my hint about this one). Perfect attraction for the second floor. Well done.

Keep in mind that these are all petty concerns, and your ride is very well thought out. That being said, I do have one major concern with your show. I love the idea of the three different Figments for the three different People, and I love Circlevision, you can never have too much of that. (I’m not sure an attraction where people don’t sit down would fly today, but that’s another story) but I do have to say that I do have a problem with you putting words into the mouths of the deceased. The technology for the Tower of Terror isn’t really putting words into Rod Serling’s Mouth because it’s more of a character he played, not him personally. But it seems like you want to create inspirational words and phrases for these men to say, and I just can’t help but think that that’s a little disrespectful. I might have to say stick with people who are alive so they can have input on what they say. That just doesn’t sit right with me.

Overall, however, your proposal was quite dazzling.

WED99

Thanks Tip Top, I hope this critique doesn't alter my position on the ranks. The ride was aimed for children but mainly because I feel they need something at Epcot. I want to say about the imagisanner issue, never under estimate the power of Disney. People trust them (with some exception) and trust their technology will be safe. They could be bought in bulk with much lower prices. Guests would be held responsible for broken imagi scanners. Still this concept was Blue Sky so this stuff wasn't really a problem anyway. I prefer the 3 seats because I personally use single rider and know the ease of it. I think it works well, and 4 would feel to wide.

Now, the deceased thing. It would not necessarily be putting words in their mouth. It would just be repeating the message they spread to others in their lifetimes, but using new technology. The scene could even be made of quotes if necessary. But still, Blue Sky.

Thanks for the critique Tip Top, your a tough one to please but I'm glad there's a bit of a challenge :)

ctxak98

Thanks Tip Top club for the critique! When I first read your post about moving forward and not sticking to the original I knew I had to please you! I also don't know how I feel about the second ride but I just feel like there are a lot of sit down movies at epcot I thought we needed more rides in futureworld. I did have planned a video part of imagination called the first spark, the first dream and figment. It was just a replacement 3d show about dreamfinder and figments first adventure with imagination but I figured it would be better not to have too much on them. So glad you liked it.

Tip Top Club

Sorry for the Lateitude, here's the last two!

@jdmdisney99
Interesting idea for a 3-D show, but it felt a little forced to me. I am very hesitant about bringing in Dreamfinder, as I’m not sure modern audiences would embrace him. I am also concerned about your name, “Aberforth” which I can see causing problems with Universal, and Universal fans in regards to the character from Harry Potter, not to mention that it’s nice to use new and different names anyway, especially if you’re going for something exotic. The idea of them traveling through a city spreading Imagination is very vague and forced as well.

I ADORE the ZeroN stuff, we told you to shoot for the moon and look at new technology and you have done that very well. That being said, from an operational standpoint I would be hesitant to put extremely powerful magnets around a diverse demographic of guests. Some of those Demographics might include the elderly, some most likely with Pacemakers. And even if it doesn’t have any effect on them, (which I doubt) the perception would be there, and would scare away grandma and grandpa from watching the kids. Excellent job shooting for the moon though, no points lost, just a comment about things to consider for next time.

I also enjoy your other interactive adventures. The plants, the updated versions of classics, the Paint n’ play. But some of the Figment section seems a little outdated.

It seems like a lot of your queue areas felt forced to me as well. A lot of the things here have been done before, and in some cases, been done to death. But certainly not bad.

When you started your ride, I had high hopes, I like the idea of such an explosive beginning to the ride, but then there’s Dreamfinder on his blimp. I just can’t see him working with a modern audience. I’m also very confused about the tone of the ride, it all feels forced. Your villain is singing an upbeat song, it’s all just strange and I can’t figure out what to think. Ultimately I don’t really think it works at all, and to me is the weakest part of your proposal.

@Matt7187
I’m very confused about your 3-D show. If you’re going to do a Traditional Theme park 3-D show today, you really have to go for it, WOW the audience because they can see any blockbuster movie in 3-D today, and you didn’t seem to do that. Captain EO had it’s time and it’s place, and now it’s time to look to the future.

Certainly an interesting idea for Build-A-Figment if you will, and it would certainly make money so well done there. Another interesting idea for the Your Imagination and what it can do, but I wish you had gone into more detail. How many KUKA’s are there? What is the queue experience like for this. Sum of all thrills always gets a HUGE wait, and it’s tucked inside Innoventions which a lot of guests don’t visit. A complete Re-imagining of a pavilion would surely get more foot traffic, so I wish you’d have gone into that a bit. But I like the idea.

“there is only a car of four in each set so the ride is more imaginative!” First of all, I have no idea what this means. And while I like your queue, there is already a Disney Character named Yensid, so that wouldn’t fly. I wish you had also been more descriptive of the Mayhem that Figment caused.

I’ve mentioned it in everyone else’s critique so I might as well mention it in yours as well. I don’t think Dreamfinder would fly with a modern audience. I think I didn’t mention that to one person and that was because they completely re-imagined him. I’m very confused about the tone of the ride as well. It seems to be a fun little interactive ride, and then all of a sudden you’re in battle! Why? It seems more like a Universal ride than a Disney ride to me. I also have trouble with the concept of storing all the World’s Imagination in one place. It seems to me like the message of the pavilion should be about EVERYONE’S imagination, this seems to reduce it to nothing, and seems to say that one little spark might not work if you’ve not got the goods…I’m just not sure that sends the right message. Overall though, I actually do like most of it, but the ride seems to be a bit of a weak point here compared the rest of the pavilion.

Tip Top Club

My Rankings swap round the last two.
And for me personally WED99 and CTX were really neck in neck. WED's proposal is extremly dazzling, but I think the work CTX put into the Exterior would really spice it up and show the audience how different it is from their last encounter there.

1. @WED99
2. @ctxak98
3. @techee
4. @Matt7187
5. @jdmdisney99

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom