Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

RSoxNo1

I highly doubt Iger has ANY involvement in this. He probably just found out about it when it hit the news cycle. Comics have a long history of sales gimmicks dating way back. They don't need Iger to steer the ship in that direction. In the '90s, it was all about holographic foil foldout variant covers and other nonsense. Now it's usually "let's have a huge company-wide event every six months so people buy all the tie-in books, and then we relaunch with 'new reader friendly' #1 issues so we can start the cycle all over again!" DC Comics does this crap, too, so this isn't a Big Bad Iger thing.
I'm fairly certain Iger is Hydra.

Launchpad McQuack

Marvel shaking up the status quo in a major way has been normal for their top tier heroes for 30 years ever since they gave Spidey the black costume. And it always comes back to normal for the next writer or arc.

For Cap alone:
He got the black costume and plain shield and disavowed being Captain America
Got killed
Got old
Replaced by Sam Wilson

Thor, Iron Man, Spidey have all had similar MAJOR changes either being killed, replaced, mind swapped...This is nothing new

Don't forget what was possibly the worst thing to happen to Cap... Rob Liefeld's Captain America from Heroes Reborn.

Matt_Black

The eagle with the wings...

4635526-rob.gif

Cesar R M

Marvel shaking up the status quo in a major way has been normal for their top tier heroes for 30 years ever since they gave Spidey the black costume. And it always comes back to normal for the next writer or arc.

For Cap alone:
He got the black costume and plain shield and disavowed being Captain America
Got killed
Got old
Replaced by Sam Wilson

Thor, Iron Man, Spidey have all had similar MAJOR changes either being killed, replaced, mind swapped...This is nothing new
Spidey had it worse seriously. How many times he got "killed" in the Superior Spiderman cycle?

Cesar R M

Oh, heavens, yes. For a guy who's all "Yay, Silver Age", Geoff Johns has left a lot of characters dead, mutilated, maimed, and or disfigured.
Cant be worse than Rob 'cant draw feet, nor teeth nor women' Liefield.

ONe of the most hilarious drawings by Liefeld.
someone should post the "x-ray" version where his entire skull is completely deformed lol.

But comics have done things like this since the beginning. DC is going through a rebirth after the new 52 just started not too long ago.
Marvel Technically went thru the same after the "Secret Wars" arc.
Hence the "all new" arcs.

Matt_Black

Yeah, the "All New, All Different" stuff was more a merging of classic (616) and Ultimate storylines than a brand new throwing out of all the history, right?

Well, Marvel has gotten to Donna Troy or Hawkman levels of confusion with any of their characters (though, admittedly, some of the X-Men come VERY close), so I'll say yes, yes that's correct.

Phil12

That's not at all a condescending statement! :rolleyes:
It actually belies my own ignorance. With the abundance of great literature that is available, it's difficult for me to understand why comic books would appeal to people. Someone whose first language is not English might find comic books useful as a primer to help them learn the language. And, of course, the target juvenile audience I suppose is a given but I would think that most people (as their intellect develops) would naturally dispose of comics in favor of better reading material. However, I was never a fan of comics in any form even as a youth. I found them all to be very boring. But perhaps you have been able to glean some literary genius in comic books that I failed to discover.

As a practical matter why would I spend time reading comic books when I could instead read Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe, H.G. Wells, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson and Hugo Gernsback among countless other notable authors? I understand that comic books do appeal to some people and the audience is apparently very large. It just amazes me that some fans can get so engrossed in the details associated with the world of comic books. I wonder if they are also rabid fans of professional wrestling as the two pursuits seem to be of equal merit.

Matt_Black

First off, the idea that comic books were always and only just for kids is a myth. Even back in the "Golden Age" when kids were clearly the target audience, comics were popular with a large number of adults. Even the War Department made sure that the soldiers had plenty of comics during WWII to improve morale.

Second, many writers use comics because the format allows for storytelling techniques that other media, like solely written works, lack.

Third, even if you go strictly by the superhero genre, the one most commonly associated with modern comics, ignoring all the other genres clearly made with adult audiences in mind, you've got seminal works like "The Watchmen", which made TIME Magazine's list of 100 Greatest Novels.

To say comic books are strictly just for kids is a bit like saying that animated films are just for kids, and that is dismissive to incredible films like Fantasia or Akira.

Cesar R M

It actually belies my own ignorance. With the abundance of great literature that is available, it's difficult for me to understand why comic books would appeal to people. Someone whose first language is not English might find comic books useful as a primer to help them learn the language. And, of course, the target juvenile audience I suppose is a given but I would think that most people (as their intellect develops) would naturally dispose of comics in favor of better reading material. However, I was never a fan of comics in any form even as a youth. I found them all to be very boring. But perhaps you have been able to glean some literary genius in comic books that I failed to discover.

As a practical matter why would I spend time reading comic books when I could instead read Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe, H.G. Wells, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson and Hugo Gernsback among countless other notable authors? I understand that comic books do appeal to some people and the audience is apparently very large. It just amazes me that some fans can get so engrossed in the details associated with the world of comic books. I wonder if they are also rabid fans of professional wrestling as the two pursuits seem to be of equal merit.
badass2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom