Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

dstrawn9889

DWS - no longer active but here it is
WDW%20airport_zps6yc90u15.png

Last edited:

jimbojones

janoimagine

Runway? Disney had an Airport? They should start it up again. Fly directly into WDW. Could even have their own fleet of planes with characters on them and great service. The magic could start as soon as you board the plane.
Everything else is off topic, might as well continue it. A little cold out for a snow cone.

It was only an STOLPort. Only suited for small aircraft. You would be in trouble trying to land a commercial jet. Right now it is being used as a parking lot for construction and gear ... you can see if from the Monorail beam on the way to or from Epcot.

Monorail_Red_77

STOLPort was active pre-EPCOT Monorail Beam. Correct currently it is being used for construction staging and modular buildings/parking. This is where the turrets are being built for MK Hub Project. Orlando Int'l Airport is what killed this airport mostly.

dstrawn9889

STOLPort was active pre-EPCOT Monorail Beam. Correct currently it is being used for construction staging and modular buildings/parking. This is where the turrets are being built for MK Hub Project. Orlando Int'l Airport is what killed this airport mostly.
not really, since MCO was the stop for the short hauls that were to land at the STOLPort. what killed them is the increased volume of Aircraft landing at MCO BECAUSE Disney was right there.

Goofyernmost

More likely the fact that it couldn't land anything larger than a 20 Passenger Turbo Prop is what killed it.
Personally, and believe me this is just a thought, I don't think it was ever going to live long anyway. It was almost a necessity while WDW was being built. The chiefs in California were running back and forth across country constantly and it was really not practical to be landing in MCO and having to travel from there to the property constantly. Since it was a STOL it was never going to realistically deal with anything other then small private aircraft. Even the chartered planes that flew from MCO to there had an expiration date. It was only a matter of time before highways were built that made the drive from MCO easier and way less expensive then flying. I doubt that they could get much above 2000 feet in that time span.

I am surprised that they didn't keep it available for Executive planes even now, but, I guess maintaining that would be expensive and not really worthwhile. Now they have a very expensive place to put storage trailers, hidden enough that most people are totally unaware that it exists even though it is in plain sight if you know what you are seeing.

janoimagine

I am surprised that they didn't keep it available for Executive planes even now, but, I guess maintaining that would be expensive and not really worthwhile.
I think the main issue it is not used, even for executive level is one of safety, the landing approach was from the South West which had them flying right over the Monorail Beam. I am not sure if their is a HeliPad on property for execs or not.

Prog

We went to MK on Wednesday and Friday for the first time since January 08. There was a bit of boat stacking but not really beyond the corner by the treasure. The mist was fine, I don't recall any mermaids (but I never noticed them in the fifteen years I've been riding the attraction), and all but the final cannonball splash was off on Wednesday. There were noticeable issues with audibility and the drop seemed more intense and wet than we remember, but it's been a while. Overall it seemed pretty good, save for the occasional temporarily closed message on the app, which seemed to plague every E-ticket this week. Everest was off Sunday morning, 7DMT was off all Wednesday evening (it may have been evac'd, as there was a train sitting on the crest for hours before the queued guests were booted after Wishes), and Splash was down for a good portion of Friday morning (even the train shut down briefly).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom